will Amtrak ever employ me i am trying to get into this industry

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bryant

Howdy yall i don't know if this is the right thread for this but since this is ask anything of Amtrak i need help.

I need to know because i keep on applying to Amtrak for Employment and they haven't called and emailed me yet about interviews because now i am getting worried. You see this is an industry i want to be in does anybody that currently works for Amtrak knows how long does it take for applying to an interview to employment?

and also i been applying so much for Train Attendants and Railroad Conductors i want to get in the foot of the door with Amtrak but nobody is responding to me about employment i keep waiting and waiting.

i have posted a great resume and a great cover letter and i said positive things about it but still no call or email, i had one interview and that was in april of 2012 and i thought i passed it but it turns out i wasn't accepted which made me upset for it was for a train attendant position from Miami which i currently live in Miami, Florida.

i don't mind where the position is i can relocate where the position is at i am well prepared for it please is there anybody that can help me with this i am an honest hard worker that needs a future i know this was in my introduction post but i really want to work for Amtrak? please anybody outthere help me i am currently 26 years old.

by the way Bryant is Brylove7, Bryant happens to be my real name i forgot i wasn't signed on and i used it as a guest my apalougises.

Bryant- I am not being snide, but you really need to work on your writing skills. You seem like an earnest person, but I think the railroad these days is looking for people who are articulate. Good luck.

Brylove7, don't let the others here discourage you.

Most people on this forum are not Amtrak employees but just railfans or people taking a broader interest in Amtrak. I guess that none here know anthing about hiring decisons.

If you think Amtrak owes you a response, try calling them up. But don't pester them too much as you don't want to make yourself a bad name there.

Also, ask people who might have some experience with these things to look at your cover letter and CV and possibly make suggestions. It's not always about what you say but also how you say it. Maybe a slightly different choice of words, saying essentially the same thing, can have a totally different impact. Try to put yourself in the position of the person who will open your letter. That person may have 200 similar letters on their desk, and it may be a split-second decison which will be binned and which will be considered further. So make sure the important things stand out the most. You should really taylor both CV and cover letter to the specific job you're interested in to show why you are ideally focussed and suited to that particular job. The attitude "I'll do anything as long as I can work for you" might actually be counter-productive as it doesn't show any special attunement to any particular job. So work on that.

Just because your friends say your CV is good doesn't mean you can't make it better. Ask them to be more critical. Ask more people. Ask people with experience. Remember that some people will be polite and say its good even if it isn't. Press them to be honest.

More than anything, don't be discouraged. Don't give up or give in because you fail the first time, or the second or the third. Keep your eyes on your goal and keep a positive attitude and you will get there. Believe in yourself. Don't let any naysayers tell you anything else.

Good Luck and All the best.

Hi Bryant,

I'm not trying to be a naysayer, but please receive this advice in the helpful spirit in which it is given.

First, I agree with Cirdan. Invest in peer review of your cover letter and resume. They can always be improved. You certainly have a passion. That is good. And I am not really concerned about your cover letter or resume. After all, you did get an interview once.

So that leaves me with that interview. If you were not offered a position after an interview, you need to start reviewing what happened.

You only get one chance to make a first impression. That's exactly what happened with the first couple of responses to your original post. I'm afraid that could have been an issue in the interview. Let's assume that you went into the interview like you started this thread. Full of energy and hope but missing experience and not bring mindful of your presence - in other words not thinking about how others perceive you. That can be a deal breaker. Unfortunately, you have been rejected once - for whatever reason. Posture? Clothing? Body odor? Non stop talking in run on sentences?

The reality is that there are more people competing for fewer jobs these days. You must be impeccable in your application, your cover letter AND in your appearance and behavior at your interview. Know what you want and CLAIM IT.

I recommend waiting a year before re-applying. Not only may this be a requirement, but it will give the HR folks time to forget why they refused you. Take the time to ride the train and get to know some of the attendants. Maybe one could be a reference for you in the future.

Finally, perhaps try getting on at CSX, FEC or Tri Rail to begin building RR experience.

Don't give up. But take a little time out and try to determine what you didn't have going for you at the last interview.

Good Luck!

Well put, Cirdan. I wish this young man well. A new SCA I met on the Capitol recently was what appeared to be the type of individual to which I referred.

I second the suggestion to have a professional review your cover letter and resume. I say this as a former hiring professional, not as just another forum junkie. ;)

You sound like an earnest, intelligent young man, and enthusiasm is a definite plus. So, without any judgement, I simply recommend having someone help polish your resume and cover letter. I have a BA in English, and I still have 1-2 people review my cover letters and resumes before submission. Everyone should do this, period. Even the best writers omit the occasional word or misuse a comma, and sometimes my friend or former supervisor comes up with a better way to phrase something.

If you don't get a call, please don't take it personally. Sometimes, a business is inundated with applications and simply cannot call everyone in for an interview. Often, they will start filtering by education, experience, and how well the cover letter is written. I would often receive over 75 applications for one position, and even though 30 of those people would have been perfect, I could only interview 10. It was a tough line to draw, and I had empathy for those who didn't make the cut. I also didn't have time to contact each and every person who applied to let them know we wouldn't be calling for an interview, even though I wanted to. Eventually, I started sending form letters as a compromise, but not every company does this.

Enough with the kid gloves. Brylove7’s writing is absolutely atrocious . If all it takes to discourage an applicant is to point out the blindly obvious then they are quite simply not ready for the job. I've been on both sides of the hiring desk and since I can't learn everything there is to know about you in the short time I have to interview you I'm going to judge your abilities on whatever you give me. If your writing or your speech is haphazard and sloppy I'm going to assume that your education level is low and your work ethic is questionable. It's as simple as that.

We don't know that the OP's cover letters haven't been given more preparation than a quick couple of questions posted on this forum. Obviously the posting here was not well composed. However, that doesn't mean we can't give some encouragement and constructive criticism.

There's nothing wrong with asking an experienced friend or relative for help and there are also many resume/career coaches out there available for a fee. Taking an English composition course at a local college can also be of great benefit since once you get an interview, you will be asked to speak as well as your cover letter.

The job market is not good these days and there are many people applying for every job. The advice I'd give is to make sure you have all of the requirements and education stated in the job description. If you don't have it, get it through experience with another job or college coursework. Remember that many applicants for these jobs will have college degrees. Look at jobs with your local transportation authorities or another job which will give you customer service and/or cash handling experience such as with other travel companies -- rental cars, hotels, etc.

I wouldn't waste your time applying for a job outside of the area where you live, especially for a TA or Conductor position. They will be getting plenty of local applications and won't need to contact you and arrange for your travel for an interview.

I also advise against trying to contact HR by phone. They are flooded with applications and if you don't hear anything, it's safe to assume that they are looking at other candidates. All they will tell you is that "we are pursuing other candidates that more closely fit our needs at this time" and won't be thrilled to take the time to do this.

Increase your networking if you can. Things are so competitive in this very poor job market. Knowing someone on the inside always helps.

Enough with the kid gloves. Brylove7’s writing is absolutely atrocious . If all it takes to discourage an applicant is to point out the blindly obvious then they are quite simply not ready for the job. I've been on both sides of the hiring desk and since I can't learn everything there is to know about you in the short time I have to interview you I'm going to judge your abilities on whatever you give me. If your writing or your speech is haphazard and sloppy I'm going to assume that your education level is low and your work ethic is questionable. It's as simple as that.
Many people tend to be more lax on the internet compared to professional situations. Sure, they should still use capitalization, punctuation, and proper grammar, but I don't expect the level of writing I'd expect in a CV. As long as I don't have to decipher it and my eyes aren't bleeding from lack of paragraphs, I tend to be a lot more forgiving when I read forum posts. I make sure to write properly, since I'd be embarrassed if I didn't, but I'm still a lot more relaxed than I am when writing something professionally.

My point is: this may not be the way he writes professionally.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have posted a great resume and a great cover letter and i said positive things about it but still no call or email, i had one interview and that was in april of 2012 and i thought i passed it but it turns out i wasn't accepted which made me upset for it was for a train attendant position from Miami which i currently live in Miami, Florida.
Folks - are you missing this line? The cover letter and the resume don't seem to be the issue as the OP was granted an interview. Once passed over after an interview, it is VERY difficult to get that opportunity again.

Again, my advise stands. Wait a year. Try to get on another rail job in the Miami area - there should be several opportunities between Tri-Rail, CSX and FEC - perhaps even the new train to Orlando. Ride the train. Get to know other attendants. Maybe get them to offer you advise or, even better, a referral.

One point about your enthusiasm. I have heard this over and over again. If you go into an interview as a foamer, you will be dismissed. High energy as a foamer is NOT a desired quality for getting a job with Amtrak. They can perceive that as being an overzealous train nut who wants to run their full-scale model trainset. However, KNOWLEDGE is something entirely different. Explain and understand the need for customer service, revenue management, passenger needs (ie: medical, disabilities, etc), the need for punctuality, operations, etc. That will impress an interviewer. Not, "I love trains so much and want to ride them every day!"

The OP came here seeking advice and support, and to shoe him (or her) away with a sneering "you haven't got a chance, you'll never get anywhere" is both being extremely discouraging and simply untrue. We are an internet community, not the interviewing panel. Therefore we shouldn't act on their behalf, or pretend to be one. We have been asked to help and that means we should build on what is good rather than to seize on what is bad. I have also been on both sides of the interviewing table and I have hired people who were far from perfect in their self-presentation but who were obviously making a huge effort and had potential and were willing to learn and be mentored. I never regretted hiring them. In fact the only person who I ever regretted hiring was also the only one who had a really perfect CV, but it turned out he was so good at presenting himself that he was no good at anything else.

But let that not be an omen here.

I need to know because i keep on applying to Amtrak for Employment and they haven't called and emailed me yet about interviews because now i am getting worried. You see this is an industry i want to be in does anybody that currently works for Amtrak knows how long does it take for applying to an interview to employment?
I am sure that Amtrak, like most major employers, don't bother to respond to most unsolicited job applications they receive. They get just too many.

It might be upsetting to accept, but no response means you have been rejected. There will be no interview.

WOW :eek:

[AU member speaking]

I fully agree with other member's advice have been to the OP. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.

[Moderator speaking]

Texas Sunset - Please be civil and do not discourage this applicant. I'm sure that you have even wrote something like "B4" on the Internet or while texting (I know I have) instead of "before", but would never do so on a résumé or in a cover letter.

If you are on Facebook, you might try Amtrak's page.

Also, I know there are several Amtrak employees on the "Amtrak's Empire Builder" Facebook group...you might ask them for some pointers.

If it's what you really want to do, you'll find a way!

thank you everybody yeah i am trying my best i was in the art institute before and i was in a community college before as well.

Currently right now i am working as a Asset Protection in a Retail store named BJ's and also i am a volunteer at a Railroad Museum called the Gold Coast Railroad Museum i am hoping that these will give me more of a push for me to get hired.

i know what yall mean that i have to come in as a professional and thats what i did or at least i think, i mentioned positive things i mentioned that to be able to serve passengers better, anyways would it be better if i send my CV and resume here?

also i am thinking that if i have to attend a Railroad Academy there is one i been thinking of attending is called Modoc Railroad Academy and its being relocated to Marion Illinois and i been thinking maybe attending the Railroad Academy will get more more of a headsup to be accepted for Amtrak?

so what i have to do is make my resume and cover letter better, also be more professional ok i get it i understand what you mean about the whole crazy about trains thing yeah safety is number one and thats what i can focus on saying as well as passenger needs like someone from this thread has pointed out.

i am going to make these improvements and i am not giving up i am going after my goals, like the phoenix i will rise again.

Someone here accuses most of us of being Foamers who act as if all AM things are wonderful. Maybe that is why Amtrak does not want to hire foamers.

Recently I met a fine youngster via some writing samples. Granted in the High School I retired from I was not supposed to teach English but neither was anyone else - now its called Communication Arts and one can tell the difference. This youngster and his High School did not meet the mark - I can't tell who dropped the ball but someone did.

I disapprove of encouraging unreasonable aspirations but after folks here made it very clear that he was being judged by his writing skills there was no improvement. What does that indicate?

so you mean to say there is no hope for me there is no goals anymore? i will not have a future with amtrak? i am doing everything in my power to get into this industry?

heck i even applied to several freight RR's like CSX, Union Pacific, Norfolk Southern and BNSF but still i got rejected by them saying i am not qualified.

thats why i been thinking of a Railroad Academy maybe if i attend an academy maybe it can work does anybody knows if this will be possible?

Not knowing your skillsets or related experience, my first suggestion would be to make sure you are really a fit for the Amtrak position(s) for which you are applying. Job search in the 21st century is a whole new ballgame. Companies usually do not have the resources to respond to applicants who have not been accepted. You said you did have an interview in April 2012. Was your interview a 'hiring" interview or a "screening" interview? More than likely, it was the latter. In the hiring process these days, applicants are sitting for 2 and sometimes 3 interviews, even for "entry-level" positions.

Rather than trying to go through the front door, try networking through professional websites like linkedin.com and others. This forum is mainly for railfans and Amtrak advocates, more than Amtrak employees. Find out where on the internet Amtrak employees hang out.

I know this has already been mentioned, but make sure your cover letter/resume are impeccable and that they address the requrements of the job opening. If they do not, then you are trying to drive a "square" peg into a "round" hole. Experience and the correct skillset are key in this job market.

Also you might look beyond Amtrak if you like customer service in the travel/transportation industry, such as cruise lines, other rail passenger services, even (God forbid) the airline industry. Once you can list related experience on your resume, you will stand out from the crowd. Remember, Amtrak is a customer service company; they really do not care about your passion for trains.

Good luck. You have the right attitude. Keep at it!

Don't give up!! Ever! As others have said if you want it bad enough, you will find a way. One way to get in and around the railroad industry is to go to work for one of the companies that transport RR employs, like when they time out, and they have to have someone pick them up and take them to the hotel where they rest until they can go back on duty. Also they need people to shuttle them around the yards to and from trains. These companies usually do not pay the best, and usually have alot of turnover(making it easy to get a job for these comp.)but if you like hanging around trains and train crews this job could work for you, until you get enough information on how to go to work for an actual RR. Around here in Ft. Worth area BNSF and UP are the main RR's. The companies they use are Renzenberger Inc. (they shuttle Amtrak crews too). and Railcrew Xpress. I am sure there are other companies in your area, but I'm not the one looking for a job. Go get 'em tiger! Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back