10 replies to this topic

#1 ScottC4746

ScottC4746

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

We were reviewing the menus for SWC and CZ and noticed on both the Railroad French Toast is gone. Appears to have been replaced with pancakes. Has anyone had the pancakes yet?

Routes I've been on end to end:
California Zepher 5 Roomette 3 (6/6/2013) 6 Romette (Tent 8/31/13)
Great Western Railway (UK)(July 1995) London Waterloo-Penzance Round Trip
Pacific Surfliner 564 Business (1/3/2009); 587 Business (1/3/2009)
Southern (UK) (9/7/2012)London Victoria-Brighton Round Trip
Southwest Chief 3 Roomette 20 (5/28/2011) 4 Roomette 6 (6/3/2013)
Sunset Limited 1 Roomette 6 (6/5/2009) 2 Bedroom F (01/29/2010)

Point Balance 10828
Current Year Rail Balance 2490

#2 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,220 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

Yes, the pancakes are very good. The railroad French toast used to be my favorite, but in the past few years it was pre made and just reheated in the kitchen! :( (It was no longer freshly made on the train!)
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead!

#3 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

Scott, it's generally French Toast in one direction and pancakes in the other. On the southbound CS it's pancakes. They're hit or miss -- I've had very good ones, and others that were overcooked and rubbery.
Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#4 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,155 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

I've noticed that there are a few dish slots that are one thing one way and another thing the other (i.e. I think the seafood on the Silvers switches between salmon and crabcakes).
Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)
Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)
Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#5 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts
  • Interests:Skiing, Martial Arts, Knife Throwing, Car collecting, Train Travel, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

When Amtrak went to the pre-made French Toast it was still decent just not fresh prepared.. I believe that the same pre-made recipe might still be used. For the people that wish to enjoy great RR French Toast at home, (which is touted as the best tasting of all) here is the original Santa Fe recipe for it:

2 slices white bread sliced 3/4" thick
1/2 cup light cream
2 eggs
pinch salt
1/2 cup cooking oil

Pre-heat oven to 400*F.
Place all ingredients (except oil) in bowl and mix with an egg beater or large fork
Cut bread slices diagonally into four triangle pieces. Place oil in small frying pan or skillet. Heat to frying temperature. Take each piece of bread and dip it in the cream/egg mixture covering on both sides. Fry bread for about 1-2 minutes per side to lt golden brown but watch that it doesn't turn too dark. Remove from frying pan and put on a paper towel over a plate and cover it with another towel to absorb oil. Transfer to baking sheet and place in oven. Bake 4-6 minutes until bread slices have puffed up. Remove from oven and sprinkle very lightly with powdered sugar and/or cinnamon (optional) and serve with real maple syrup, applesauce, current jelly, or preserves and bacon, ham and sausage if desired.
IMO this is the ultimate French Toast recipe and we make it at home often.
This may have been the Fred Harvey recipe but I tell you they got it right. Most of the other railroad recipes for French Toast were very similar but not quite as good. We've tried them all.

Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holiday to all

Edited by dlagrua, 25 December 2012 - 10:30 PM.

#6 crescent2

crescent2

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

Thanks, diagrua! We always enjoyed the French toast on the Crescent. Will have to try your recipe soon; it sounds delicious.
Merry Christmas and God bless to all my AU friends!

#7 D.P. Roberts

D.P. Roberts

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Interests:Fencing. Fighting. Torture. Poison. True love. Hate. Revenge. Giants. Hunters. Bad men. Good men. Beautifulest ladies. Snakes. Spiders. Beasts of all natures and descriptions. Pain. Death. Brave men. Coward men. Strongest men. Chases. Escapes. Lies. Truths. Passion. Miracles.

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

Scott, it's generally French Toast in one direction and pancakes in the other. On the southbound CS it's pancakes. They're hit or miss -- I've had very good ones, and others that were overcooked and rubbery.

Empire Builder - French Toast westbound, pancakes eastbound
Southwest Chief - Pancakes westbound and eastbound
California Zephyr - Pancakes westbound and eastbound
Coast Starlight - Pancakes northbound and eastbound
Sunset Limited - Pancakes westbound, French Toast eastbound
City of New Orleans - French Toast northbound, pancakes southbound
Silver Meteor - French Toast northbound, pancakes southbound
Silver Star - Pancakes northbound, French Toast southbound
Capitol Limited - French Toast
Texas Eagle - French Toast
Lake Shore Limited - French Toast

I don't see any rhyme or reason to it. And, I don't remember pancakes being so prevalent - I'm sure I've had French Toast on some of those routes that currently have pancakes instead.

#8 Chatter163

Chatter163

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:30 AM

When I rode the Crescent last month, it was french toast northbound (though the menu still said pancakes), and pancakes southbound

#9 TVRM610

TVRM610

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:30 AM

For what it's worth I had pancakes on the Capitol East bound about a month ago. I thought they were very good.

Amtrak 
Acela Express*, Cascades (Talgo) Service*, California Zephyr*, Capitol Limited*, Cardinal, Carolinian*, City of New Orleans*, Coast Starlight*, Crescent*, Downeaster, Empire Builder*, Illinois Zephyr*, Keystone Corridor*, Lake Shore Limited, Lincoln Service*, Maple Leaf*, NE Regional, Pacific Surfliner, Pennsylvanian, River Cities, San Joaquin,  Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Saluki, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle. 
VIA 
Canadian* 
* = Ridden Complete route from end to end. 

#10 alanh

alanh

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:25 PM

So are the pancakes freshly made, or are they from frozen like the French toast?

#11 TVRM610

TVRM610

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

The menu reads "made to order buttermilk pancakes". I suppose we can interpret that anyway we like. Ha. But they seemed pretty freshly made when I had them.

Amtrak 
Acela Express*, Cascades (Talgo) Service*, California Zephyr*, Capitol Limited*, Cardinal, Carolinian*, City of New Orleans*, Coast Starlight*, Crescent*, Downeaster, Empire Builder*, Illinois Zephyr*, Keystone Corridor*, Lake Shore Limited, Lincoln Service*, Maple Leaf*, NE Regional, Pacific Surfliner, Pennsylvanian, River Cities, San Joaquin,  Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Saluki, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle. 
VIA 
Canadian* 
* = Ridden Complete route from end to end. 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users