Same Place, Two Different Stations

30 replies to this topic

#1 Twin Star Rocket

Twin Star Rocket

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:Rail travel, ship travel, history, science, languages, old TV shows and commercials (pre-1970), American folk songs, classical and electronica music, and classic movies.

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

Early in the Amtrak era, places such as Houston, Chicago, and Richmond (VA) had two different Amtrak stations functioning at the same time.
Elko NV had one location for eastbound trains and another location for westbound.
Of course, New York and Philadelphia had more than one station.
San Antonio used the Sunset Depot for the SUNSET and the site of the MP depot for the INTER-AMERICAN.

If we include non-Amtrak stations, we could include Charlottesville (VA), Birmingham (AL), and Chillicothe (IL).

How about when the BROADWAY and CAPITOL both operated? Did Pittsburgh have both the P&LE(B&O) station and Pennsy station in use?
Have traveled by train since 1956 in the USA (including Alaska), Canada (including the Yukon), Mexico, Western Europe, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, and Zimbabwe.

Rode my first Amtrak train in April 1972. Have ridden nearly all the long-distance routes including the Texas Chief (Lone Star), Inter-American, Panama Limited, National Limited, Pioneer, Desert Wind, Spirit of California, Sunset Limited (Florida extension), Broadway Limited, and Chief. Also rode the Rio Grande Zephyr, Southern Crescent, Peoria Rocket, Georgia RR mixed train, and Soo Line mixed train in the post-Amtrak era.

#2 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,557 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

Capitol did not operate as a separate train on B&O through Pittsburgh in its initial incarnation under Amtrak AFAIK. It operated as a section of Broadway Ltd.on Pennsy under Amtrak, until it finally became a separate train on ex-B&O to Pittsburgh. At that point it continue to use the current station, for a while involving a backup move to get to it. Oddly enough, soon thereafter, it was the Broadway that was routed on B&O west of Pittsburgh, while the Capitol was routed over Conrail (ex-Pennsy and ex-NYC) via Cleveland, west of Pittsburgh. Then the Broadway was discontinued, reinstated for a bit as Three Rivers and finally gone.

Similarly, National Limited under Amtrak never operated on B&O. It operated through Harrisburg on the Pennsy AFAIK.

Technically Newark now has two stations - Newark Penn and Newark Liberty International Airport. Richmond VA continues to have two stations.

#3 Shawn Ryu

Shawn Ryu

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Interests:trains baseball hockey

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

I think technically Newark airport station is in Elizabeth, NJ not Newark. Maybe someone can correct me on this.

#4 amtkstn

amtkstn

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

Until the Chief was moved to the former CB&Q in the late 1990's, Galsburg IL had two stations. One was for the Chief and the other for the Zephyers.

#5 AlanB

AlanB

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,850 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

I think technically Newark airport station is in Elizabeth, NJ not Newark. Maybe someone can correct me on this.

Consider yourself corrected.

The Newark Airport Station is located in Newark.

Part of Newark Airport is indeed located in Elizabeth, the southernmost part including part of 1 terminal. But the bulk of the airport is located in Newark.

Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#6 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

If the goal is just to name municipalities with more than one Amtrak station located in that municipality's borders, here are a few more just off the top my head:

Boston
Los Angeles
Milwaukee
Oakland
Philadelphia
San Diego

#7 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,557 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

Newark Airport Station is in Newark, not Elizabeth. Only the extreme south end of the airport including Terminal A is in Elizabeth NJ. The station is north of Terminal C.

(null)

#8 xyzzy

xyzzy

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

On a related note, Lakeland Fla. has two station codes, LKL and LAK, so that passengers don't inadvertently book an unnecessary detour through Tampa on 91 or 92.

Edited by xyzzy, 04 November 2012 - 01:17 PM.

#9 jimhudson

jimhudson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

I havent been in Stockton, Cal. in several years ,but isnt there Two Stations there also? (Seems like ACE Trains used one and San Joaquins the other, cant remember which had the Busses???) :unsure:
"I'd Rather Be On a Train!"  All Aboard!!!

"There's Something About a Train!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

"What a Long,Strange Trip it's Been!"-  "Truckin'"-Grateful Dead

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#10 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,252 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

I know that it took Amtrak a few years to consolidate everything into Chicago Union Station, but I cannot recall how many stations they were stuck using on A-Day. Likewise, it took Amtrak over 20 years to get out of NYG.

As far as multiple "main" stations in town without a direct connection, the biggest example left is Boston (BON/BOS), due to the lack of a decent connection from central Boston to the route to Maine.

Edit: Also, going beyond Amtrak, you have Lorton/Auto Train and Lorton/VRE a few blocks from one another (I think).

Edited by Anderson, 04 November 2012 - 02:53 PM.

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)
Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)
Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#11 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,557 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

If you go beyond Amtrak it starts getting very dense. Newark Nj comes in with a third mainline station - BNW Newark Broad St. New York comes in with NYG Grand Central, 125th St., Marble Hill, a few on the Harlem and NH Lines, and a bunch on LIRR including the Granddaddy of 'em all, Jamaica - all in one of the five boroughs that constitute New York City.

#12 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

I havent been in Stockton, Cal. in several years ,but isnt there Two Stations there also? (Seems like ACE Trains used one and San Joaquins the other, cant remember which had the Busses???) :unsure:

There are 2 Amtrak stations in Stockton:
SKN - San Joaquin St. Station - used by Bakersfield-Oakland San Joaquins
SKT - Cabral (or Downtown) Station - used by Bakersfield-Sacramento San Joaquins (and Altamont Commuter Express trains)

Edited by Eric S, 04 November 2012 - 03:47 PM.

#13 roadman3313

roadman3313

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

Stockton, CA does indeed have two stations.

SKN - Stockton/San Joaquin Street serves trains 711, 712, 713, 714, 715, 716, 717, and 718 on the San Joaquin Route between OKJ and BFD. This is the staffed Amtrak Station in Stockton that serves as the main bus connection as well to San Jose, Sacramento, and Redding as well as a bus connection to the other Stockton Station, SKT.

SKT - Stockton/ACE Station (Downtown/Weber St.) serves trains 701, 702, 703, and 704 on the San Joaquin Route between SAC and BFD. This station building itself and platform are used by ACE Trains only as the track by the platform is a stub that ends at the northern end of the station platform. There is a Quik-Trak Machine on the ACE rail platform but it is broken and somewhat vandalized as of the time of this posting. The Physical Amtrak stop is in the middle of the street at the Railroad Crossing on Weber Street. Only one car (or two sets of doors) will open at this stop. Bus connections to Oakland/Emeryville/San Francisco as well as San Jose and to the other Stockton Station (SKN) serve this stop.

Only other Example that comes to mind off the top of my head is in Ventura, CA just north of Oxnard. There are two stations, one for Amtrak's Pacific Surfliner Route (Ventura) by the Fairgounds and another for MetroLink (East Ventura/Montalvo). There has been talk of having MetroLink extend to the Ventura Station by the Fairgrounds however it is single tracked at that point and the train sets lay-up for the night on three storage tracks by the East Ventura Station.

#14 Twin Star Rocket

Twin Star Rocket

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:Rail travel, ship travel, history, science, languages, old TV shows and commercials (pre-1970), American folk songs, classical and electronica music, and classic movies.

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

Chicago's IC station remained in use until 1972---possibly 1973 at the very latest.
Then the remaining Amtrak trains on the Illinois Central (Gulf) moved over to Union Station.
Northwestern and La Salle stations remained in use for years later for non-Amtrak commuter trains and Rock Island service to Peoria and the Quad Cities.
Have traveled by train since 1956 in the USA (including Alaska), Canada (including the Yukon), Mexico, Western Europe, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, and Zimbabwe.

Rode my first Amtrak train in April 1972. Have ridden nearly all the long-distance routes including the Texas Chief (Lone Star), Inter-American, Panama Limited, National Limited, Pioneer, Desert Wind, Spirit of California, Sunset Limited (Florida extension), Broadway Limited, and Chief. Also rode the Rio Grande Zephyr, Southern Crescent, Peoria Rocket, Georgia RR mixed train, and Soo Line mixed train in the post-Amtrak era.

#15 Guest_Nathanael_*

Guest_Nathanael_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

Going beyond Amtrak:

Newark still has two intercity terminals serving separate destinations (Newark Penn and Newark Broad St), so does New York (Penn and Grand Central), and Chicago still has quite a lot (LaSalle, Millennium, Oglivie, Union).

(I know that NJT, Metra, and Metro-North are officially "commuter rail", but I can't help but think of Hackettstown to Newark as an intercity trip, and the same with Kenosha or South Bend to Chicago, or Wassaic to New York City.)

I'm not considering the case where a single line stops multiple times in the same city; I'm thinking here of cases where you arrive at different train stations depending on where you came from, even though you have the same destination. Which are also cases where you may have to "change train stations" to complete your trip. I guess I'm really thinking of examples of "bad/failed connctions" in intercity travel.

Stockton is another example. Santa Clara was, but it's been fixed by more through-routing. I'd argue that Oakland/Emeryville/SF 4th St Caltrain/BART Embarcadero qualify too. You could also make a case for Seattle King St., where Sounder and Amtrak have different entrances and you must connect via the street, and Link is a block away; and Tacoma, where Sounder and Amtrak are supposed to move to the same station, but are currently several blocks apart.

Montreal still has two downtown terminals, as well. (I won't consider Europe because this kind of thing happens all the time there.)

#16 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

Amtrak serves Baltimore's Penn Station, but MARC serves both Penn and Camden Stations on separate lines.

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#17 Twin Star Rocket

Twin Star Rocket

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:12 AM

Lynchburg VA might have had two depots in use at the same time: one for the CRESCENT and the other for the MOUNTAINEER / HILLTOPPER.
Not sure though.

Yes, Amtrak did use both the CP (Windsor) and CN stations in Montreal with the ADIRONDACK and MONTREALER.

#18 Twin Star Rocket

Twin Star Rocket

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:18 AM

Salt Lake City is another example when the CALIFORNIA ZEPHYR called at the UP depot and the RIO GRANDE ZEPHYR used the D&RGW depot.

By the way, was the pre-Amtrak INTERNATIONAL using the GN depot in Vancouver, BC or the CN depot in its last years?

#19 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,557 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

Small detail.... In Amtrak era there was no California Zephyr when the Rio Grande Zephyr was running. The train to Oakland was called San Francisco Zephyr, and it passed through Ogden for a significant part of its existence.

#20 xyzzy

xyzzy

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

Indeed the SFZ did run through Ogden. I spent a night in Ogden once, courtesy of Amtrak, when the westbound SFZ arrived 4 hours late and I missed my connection to the northbound Pioneer. This was 1978.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users