Is there a East Glacier to West Glacier shuttle?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Carlos

Hi, I am planning a trip to Glacier National Park next July and was thinking of taking the Empire Builder train from West Glacier to East Glacier Amtrak stations. My problem is that the return train does not leave until 7 p.m. which means I am stuck in East Glacier for 9 hours. Are there any companies that offer a shuttle service back to the West Glacier station? Can I rent a car at the station to get back?

In July you would have a number of options-from a taxi or limo, to the park shuttle, to a "Jammer" bus, etc.... I personally would spend the day in the park and just make sure you ended up at the station just prior to your needed departure time to get back to West Glacier-it's a spectacular ride in the early evening (still plenty of daylight at 7 PM)!

In July you would have a number of options-from a taxi or limo, to the park shuttle, to a "Jammer" bus, etc.... I personally would spend the day in the park and just make sure you ended up at the station just prior to your needed departure time to get back to West Glacier-it's a spectacular ride in the early evening (still plenty of daylight at 7 PM)!
Does the park shuttle actually come all the way to East Glacier? I was under the impression that it does not make it quite that far but my memory is hazy. But in any case you can get a rental car at East Glacier in the summer.

But if one gets a chance it is worth taking the shuttle up the Rising to the Sun Highway, or whatever it is called. The shuttle does go to the village of Apgar by West Glacier for sure AFAIR.

There are many different Jammer tours in Glacier Park, a few of which begin (and end) at the Glacier Park Lodge, a short distance from the Amtrak station in East Glacier. And as has been mentioned, one can always rent a car there.

Does the park shuttle actually come all the way to East Glacier? I was under the impression that it does not make it quite that far but my memory is hazy. But in any case you can get a rental car at East Glacier in the summer.

But if one gets a chance it is worth taking the shuttle up the Rising to the Sun Highway, or whatever it is called. The shuttle does go to the village of Apgar by West Glacier for sure AFAIR.
I think that your memory is correct. The free shuttle bus doesn't go past St. Mary Visitor Center, which is quite a ways from East Glacier. And in my mind it's well worth traveling the Going to the Sun Road with someone else driving so you can enjoy the view.

Hi, I am planning a trip to Glacier National Park next July and was thinking of taking the Empire Builder train from West Glacier to East Glacier Amtrak stations. My problem is that the return train does not leave until 7 p.m. which means I am stuck in East Glacier for 9 hours. Are there any companies that offer a shuttle service back to the West Glacier station? Can I rent a car at the station to get back?
Yes, the Glacier Lodge at East Glacier offers several options for you:

OPTION 1:

You could pay their nominal shuttle bus fee to go from Glacier Lodge north to the St Mary Lodge, where you can pick up the West Bound free park shuttle. As an example, they only charge $8 to go from Many Glacier Hotel to St Mary Lodge.

Source link:

http://www.moon.com/...rcial-van-tours

OPTION 2:

You could reserve a Red Bus seat from Glacier Lodge on their western tour, which would take you to Lake Macdonald Lodge, and then to West Glacier where you could exit.

Source map link:

http://www.glacierpa...20Big%20Sky.JPG

OPTION 3: (my favorite)

Arrive by train at East Glacier, and either walk or take the free hotel shuttle to the main entrance of the Glacier Lodge. Enjoy the full day at this magnificent historic lodge including:

1. First enjoying a morning breakfast at the Lodge
  2. Cuddling up with your favorite book(s) in their fabulous Great Room, which is massive with huge ceiling, piano, and fellow guests from all over the world.
  3. Taking in a delicious Lunch.
  4. Play a round of golf, or take some lessons. (Your wife could also take in the SPA too)
  5. A late afternoon return to the Great Room for more of that special time.
  6. An early dinner enjoying their fabulous steaks.
  7. Check with the free shuttle to make sure the eastbound train is on time. If not, the staff will keep track and shuttle you to the station 15 minutes before arrival.
  8. Another Option: Reserve one of their hotel rooms for the day as an area where you can conk out for a nap and private time.

PERSONAL NOTE:

My wife and I picked up the eastbound train at Whitefish, Montana to Essex, Montana (a nice little day trip that cost a total of $40 for the two of us). Essex, which skirts the park and is home to the Issac Walton Inn, has no station, but is available to all passengers either arriving or departing. We spent the entire day at the Inn eating and reading and conversing with other visitors from around the world. After dinner, we caught the westbound train back to Whitefish, and had an enjoyable day-date.

If you love the travel of trains and the conversations with other in dining or view cars, then you will enjoy relaxing for a full day at these lodges. (Sometimes we just need to plan a good chunk of quiet time in our lives, and not plan every minute to be filled with "something".

PHOTOS AROUND THE LODGE:

Glacier%20Park%20Lodge%20Lobby.jpg

Glacier%20Park%20Lodge%20Breezeway.jpg

Glacier-Park-Lodge-Golf-Cou.jpg

Glacier%20Park%20Lodge%20Balcony%20View.jpg

Map_Full%20Big%20Sky.JPG

MAP OF RED BUS ROUTE - SHOWING PICK-UP AND DROP-OFF POINTS.

Hi Carlos,

I've done this exact thing last year. It's a really good way to tour the park without having to rent a car. Here's how it worked for me:

1) Shuttle from Lake McDonald Lodge to West Glacier Amtrak. It's called "Belton Train Station Shuttle" and the fare is $6 one-way. This shuttle also stops at the Village Inn in Apgar. The schedule is timed to train arrivals.

2) Amtrak from West Glacier to East Glacier.

3) "East Side Shuttle" from Glacier Park Lodge in East Glacier to St. Mary Visitor Center. You have your choice of 11am or 12:15pm shuttles. The fare these days is $20 one-way. Here's more info and a schedule: http://www.glacierparkinc.com/images/_userfiles/files/2012%20GPI_Shuttle%20Brochure.pdf

4) Free NPS shuttle from St. Mary Visitor's Center back to Lake McDonald Lodge, with stops along the way: http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/shuttlestops.htm

Reservations are recommended for the Belton Train Station and East Side shuttles, but in my experience, the former runs on-demand (just let the front desk know you need a shuttle to the train station), and the latter usually runs mostly empty. If you miss the 11am shuttle, for example, you shouldn't have any trouble getting on the 12:15p one, and you always have the train back to West Glacier as a backup. This itinerary is really quite painless (provided the train is not horrendously late, in which case you can just go to East Glacier and back, or postpone to another day), and, like I said, a good way to see the park on your own without a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back