339 replies to this topic

#41 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:20 AM

58 year old male living in Nova Scotia. I'm a Civil Technologist and have worked for the same Engineering firm for 36 years.

I've been a railfan for as long as I can remember……..and I guess growing up next to the tracks helped!

My first Amtrak trip was back in 1973 on the Washingtonian from Montreal to New York:

Posted Image

Posted Image

……then I rode extensively throughout the '70s until life's other commitments took over. I remember getting USA Railpasses three years in a row and spending two weeks just riding trains….. hop off one then right onto another…..criss-crossing the county: Broadway, North Coast Hiawatha, CS, EB, CZ, Southwest (Limited....not Chief!) Sunset (including the Transcon Sleeper all the way from LA to Washington) and Amfleet, Turboliners and Superliners when they were brand new!

Since then I've covered nearly all of Amtrak's LD train routes with a trip every few years but I do get to the NEC a couple of times a year. I can be sitting on an Acela at South Station Boston in a little over 2 hours from Halifax and the Downeaster is a 9hr drive away.

And I ride VIA often: extensively in the corridor and several times a year I'm on the Ocean. I'm just back from a trip on the Canadian which I've done 5 times now.

Hobbies include photography and hiking/ATV riding old abandoned railway right-of-ways (and we do have a lot of those around here now!)

Gary

Edited by NS VIA Fan, 10 October 2012 - 10:24 AM.

#42 NETrainfan

NETrainfan

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Trains, Ships, Wildlife, Gardening

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:12 AM

A New Englander, who has also lived in Virginia, am about to embark on my sixth cross-country Amtrak trip. (Boston to L.A.)

Also have traveled Boston to Florida (Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando, Jacksonville) six times. Dedicated to train travel as a
preferred mode of vacation transport and short distance trips.

Took the train from CT to NYC many times, as we were in a Grey Flannel Suit suburb.

Am an educator and geography buff. Live in Maine where we support the extension of train travel in our state.

Train Trips: Acela Express, California Zephyr (3x), Capitol Limited (2x), Coast Starlight (4x), Desert Wind, Lake Shore Limited (6x), Northeast Regional (many times), Pacific Surfliner (2x), Silver Meteor (7x), Southwest Chief (4x), Cardinal.

#43 jdcnosse

jdcnosse

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:04 AM

I'm 35-years old and grew up in northeastern Michigan. I went to school at NMU and miss the countryside of the U.P. very much, even though I also consider myself a city mouse.

Awe, did you have to go to NMU? (I went to Tech :P ) but I agree with you on that aspect. I loved the small rural feel of the UP, especially driving along US-41 between Houghton and MQT (my girlfriend at the time went TO NMU).
Trains I've been on so far:
Round-trip: International Limited (LNS to TWO), Pere Marquette (GRR to CHI), Southwest Chief (CHI to FLG), Blue Water (CHI to KAL)

One-way: Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited (CHI to LVW, FTW to TUS), Ambus (LVW to FTW)
Miles traveled on Amtrak: 15,044 mi

#44 reefgeek

reefgeek

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Interests:FIsh, Coral, Unix, Vending Machines, Trains.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:07 PM

I'm a 53 year old married father of two remarkable teenage boys (15 and 18). I am a Federal employee in the IT area, and that is as specific as I am allowed to get! I have liked trains my whole life, the Erie Lackawanna tracks ran behind the playground of my grade school in Montclair, NJ. I used to take Amtrak between NJ and college in Miami in the 70s and 80s, although mostly coach. My current job affords me a lot more vacation time than my wife gets, so I have the liberty to indulge my interest in LD train trips, something she doesn't particularly enjoy. We share our house with two hound dogs, two 30-year-old parrots, a ball python and a 250 gallon saltwater fish system, my main hobby.
Very much looking forward to my next trip, 51--27--11--796! (Cardinal -- EB--CS--Surfliner.)

Amtrak Routes travelled: Silver Palm, Adirondack, Auto Train, Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Lakeshore Limited, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Crescent, Capitol Limited, Texas Eagle, Regionals.
Other Routes travelled: NJ Transit, TriRail, Metrorail, Newark City Subway, New York Subways, San Francisco Transit, Boston T, New Hope and Ivyland, Essex Steam Train, Strasburg RR, Roaring Camp and Big Trees RR, Skunk Train,WDW RR, Fort Wilderness RR, Seattle Monorail, Bangkok to Chiang Mai and Butterworth, etc.

#45 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,827 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:49 PM

I'm 35-years old and grew up in northeastern Michigan. I went to school at NMU and miss the countryside of the U.P. very much, even though I also consider myself a city mouse.

Awe, did you have to go to NMU? (I went to Tech :P ) but I agree with you on that aspect. I loved the small rural feel of the UP, especially driving along US-41 between Houghton and MQT (my girlfriend at the time went TO NMU).

:giggle:

I had a lot of friends at Tech, both those I went to high school with and those I met through them. It is a beautiful drive. I used to drive up to visit them even after I moved to Kalamazoo. Even though it took nearly ten hours, it wasn't boring at all. I love the scenery.

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#46 thully

thully

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:33 AM

I'm 27 years old, originally from Ann Arbor, MI, though I just recently moved to San Diego, CA to accept a new job (and I liked it there when visiting, particularly during winter :)) Went to school at the University of Michigan, and essentially lived near there for most of my life (I even ran for City Council once in my time there...) My main major was in computer science, and I've worked as a programmer on medical/genetic research-related projects at both the University of Michigan and now UCSD. At the moment, I'm living essentially within eyesight of the Amtrak station here in San Diego - which is quite nice, since I can just walk to catch a train.

I first got into Amtrak (and trains in general) when I was visiting San Diego a few years ago and had the idea of taking a Surfliner to a hockey game in Anaheim. It was a great trip, and from there I was hooked - I eventually rode the Wolverine back in Michigan, and then I started doing weekend trips on the Wolverine to CHI as well as a variety of LD trips when I had the time (including a few on the CL/LSL/Cardinal as well as a SWC/SL/CONO loop). Being that I've never had a car/license (long story there...), I've been quite acclimated to public transit, and Amtrak fits well with that as a way to get around, even more so now in San Diego with the frequent Surfliners. Granted, I could move to the NEC or Chicago and have way more trains/transit, though I like it here better in other respects (weather being one...)

One other thing I do like to do is follow sports - and attend sporting events when I can make it into an Amtrak adventure. Quite a few of my trips have been of that type - including a few day trips I've done for Tigers baseball games (even pulled this off with a Wolverine to a day game in CHI - in that case, both trains were packed with Tiger fans!) Also stopped over at NOL for the Sugar Bowl on my way back to Michigan from San Diego last winter - arrived on the SL the day of the game, and rode on the CONO the next day on a train packed with fellow Wolverines fans.

Really looking forward to the return trip to Michigan this winter via the EB Texas Eagle and WB Southwest Chief (and Surfliner/Wolverine). This time, I'll be doing a sleeper (roomette)- managed to use AGR points for one leg, and paid for the other leg at low bucket. While I've done sleepers before, they've only been for short trips where I'm mostly sleeping (on LSL, and only as far west as TOL). This time, I'll actually get to spend multiple days on one and I'll get to have the LD experience without the roughing it in coach part
Trains traveled: Wolverine, Pacific Surfliner, Northeast Regional, Adirondack, Capitol Limited, Lake Shore Limited, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, City of New Orleans, Cardinal, San Joaquin, Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Capitol Corridor

#47 jphjaxfl

jphjaxfl

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • Interests:Rail passenger advocate for modern, reliable passenger trains that will allow for business or leasure travel. I have been riding trains for over 60 years, but I am not advocating going back to what we once had, rather an updated system similar to Europe, Japan, China, India and other nations with great passenger train systems.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:58 AM

For the past 1-1/2 years I have lived in the tiny town of El Paso, Illinois, which is about 20 miles from the Bloomington/Normal Amtrak Station. I'm thoroughly enjoying living just 2 blocks from my dear daughter and having several grandchildren living here in this same little town. I have lived in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where more than once we had seen evidence of bears wandering around while we slept. I have also lived in a suburb of Los Angeles and in the Mississippi River town of Clinton, Iowa. However, most of my years were spent in and near Chicago and I am told by the "locals" here that I have a Chicago accent.

I am retired but was a bean counter during all my working years. Some people think accounting is complex, but every day was the same: zero to nine all day long. Now I rarely get out the door before 9 a.m. and enjoy the many activities this town offers, the favorite of which is playing pinochle. Of course, riding trains is my passion and I don't get to do that often enough.

My Godfather was with the Northwestern Railroad, I worked several years with the holding company of Katy Railroad, and now my granddaughter works for Norfolk Southern. I love this forum for all the friendly people, interesting conversations, and wealth of information it provides. The number of forum members keeps growing by leaps and bounds and the variety of posts must keep the moderators hopping! Early on I remember times when I was the only person on this discussion forum; that never happens now. Thank you, Anthony, for starting all of this.

Hi Betty: I have been to El Paso, Il several times and stayed in the Corn Belt Motel. When I lived in Minneapolis, we used to drive to the Nashiville, TN area to visit family and El Paso was a good stopping point. Unfortunately after the Floridian went away, it wasn't possible to take a train. I also remember than El Paso was a junction of the TP&W and the Illinois Central line that went from Rockford to Southern Illinois which I think is abandoned. I also took a steam train excursion on the TP&W from Peoria in 1981 that went through El Paso. It seems like a nice town. I grew up in Peoria and lived there from 1950 to 1960. Your posts are always nice and make a lot of sense.

#48 Everydaymatters

Everydaymatters

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,092 posts
  • Interests:Travel, antiques, reading, pinochle, grandkids

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:07 AM

For the past 1-1/2 years I have lived in the tiny town of El Paso, Illinois, which is about 20 miles from the Bloomington/Normal Amtrak Station. I'm thoroughly enjoying living just 2 blocks from my dear daughter and having several grandchildren living here in this same little town. I have lived in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where more than once we had seen evidence of bears wandering around while we slept. I have also lived in a suburb of Los Angeles and in the Mississippi River town of Clinton, Iowa. However, most of my years were spent in and near Chicago and I am told by the "locals" here that I have a Chicago accent.

I am retired but was a bean counter during all my working years. Some people think accounting is complex, but every day was the same: zero to nine all day long. Now I rarely get out the door before 9 a.m. and enjoy the many activities this town offers, the favorite of which is playing pinochle. Of course, riding trains is my passion and I don't get to do that often enough.

My Godfather was with the Northwestern Railroad, I worked several years with the holding company of Katy Railroad, and now my granddaughter works for Norfolk Southern. I love this forum for all the friendly people, interesting conversations, and wealth of information it provides. The number of forum members keeps growing by leaps and bounds and the variety of posts must keep the moderators hopping! Early on I remember times when I was the only person on this discussion forum; that never happens now. Thank you, Anthony, for starting all of this.

Hi Betty: I have been to El Paso, Il several times and stayed in the Corn Belt Motel. When I lived in Minneapolis, we used to drive to the Nashiville, TN area to visit family and El Paso was a good stopping point. Unfortunately after the Floridian went away, it wasn't possible to take a train. I also remember than El Paso was a junction of the TP&W and the Illinois Central line that went from Rockford to Southern Illinois which I think is abandoned. I also took a steam train excursion on the TP&W from Peoria in 1981 that went through El Paso. It seems like a nice town. I grew up in Peoria and lived there from 1950 to 1960. Your posts are always nice and make a lot of sense.

Thank you. Yes, El Paso is a nice town. The TP&W is the only train going through here now. The Corn Belt was torn down a long time ago and now there is a row of townhouses where it once stood. The owner of the Corn Belt now owns one, or maybe both, of the hotels (Days Inn and Super 8) near I-39, which runs through El Paso. The interstate has also brought several fast-food places.
Routes Traveled: Desert Wind, Southwest Chief, Missouri Mule, Empire Builder, Capitol Ltd., Lincoln Service, Lake Shore Ltd., Missouri River Runner, City of New Orleans, Cardinal, Silver Meteor, Texas Eagle, Cascades, Broadway Ltd., Acela, Downeaster, Sunset Ltd., Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Hiawatha, Capitol Corridor, Maple Leaf   74,291 Amtrak miles.  Via Rail Vancouver to Toronto 2775 Miles.

#49 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,827 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

Holy cow, thully. I had no idea you were 27! For some weird reason, I thought you were in your forties. I can't explain why. It's just a feeling I had. :blush:

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#50 OBS

OBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:36 AM

Lets see, I'm 23, currently in college for computer science (specifically network security/computer forensics). I graduated high school in 2007, went to Michigan Tech University for a year, then had to come back home and so I went to a local community college and worked on and off.

I'm currently residing in TUS, however I grew up about 20 miles west of GRR. I moved to TUS in Jan 2012, to be closer to my girlfriend who I met thanks to Amtrak, and for better job/school prospects.

First train ride (aside from local excursion rides on the local tracks) was shortly after 9/11, took the International Limited from East Lansing, MI to Toronto, ON. Took a train to Chicago as well before my college years, and in the last couple of years I've been on the Pere Marquette and Southwest Chief 6 times (3 trips out west to FLG, and 3 trips coming back), as well as the Blue Water, and the Texas Eagle.

I've always had a fascination with trains however, even have a miniature version of the Walt Disney World monorail. Might have something to do with my Aspergers.

Also, I've recently found the most interesting music. Electro-Swing.

20 miles West of GR, like perhaps the Coopersville area? I grew up in Grand Haven.

#51 OBS

OBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:09 AM

Greetings everyone, I am 52, grew up in Western Michigan, and luckily had an older brother interested in trains (and all transportation). Thanks to some financial help from relatives, our family took our first LD train trip the summer of 1971. Took NC Hiawatha to Sea, Coast Daylight (?) to SFO... loved eating out of vending machines...LOL, and then eventually the Super Chief back to Chicago. Our family had dinner in the Turquoise Room in the diner to celebrate my Bday, and have been hooked ever since. Luckily I had tolerant parents who were willing to travel every 1-2 years there after by train for vacations, and I became convinced that working for Amtrak was my life destiny.

Unfortunately my parents didn't agree and strongly discouraged it. I received a BA in hotel/restaurant Mgemt, and worked for several years with the Bill Knapps chain in the Midwest. I eventually quit and moved to Florida and grabbed a job working as a waiter in a hotel in Tampa. It just so happened that this hotel is where the T&E crews stayed when working South from Jax. I got to know one Engineer quite well and told him of my dream of working for Amtrak. He said "Are you sure you know what you are getting into?" I assured him I did, gave him my contact info, and got a call 10 days later stating they were hiring for the Auto Train, was I interested? They arranged for a roomette RT for me to interview and warned me, the interview was on Wednesday, and the job starts Monday if you are hired. I was hired on the spot, loaded up a uhaul and drove to the Wash. DC area where my brother lived and started work.

I just celebrated my 25th anniversary with Amtrak, live on Long Island, having relocated to NY 6 years ago and work out of NY Crewbase. My Partner and I have been together 13 years,I am a lifelong Methodist who loves to sing in choir when home on Sunday and we have 4 wonderful cats. Also, I am so glad I stumbled across this website a couple years ago, I truly enjoy my time here!

#52 Guest_Guest lsa_*

Guest_Guest lsa_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:13 AM

@ obs ... What position do you work ? I just recently transfer out of NY and back to LA .

#53 OBS

OBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:42 AM

@ obs ... What position do you work ? I just recently transfer out of NY and back to LA .

LSA...Acela Cafe..."around the world"....You know who I am...:rolleyes:

#54 Guest_Guestlsa_*

Guest_Guestlsa_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:45 PM

So I guess I don't have to tell you who I am

#55 OBS

OBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:57 PM

So I guess I don't have to tell you who I am

LOL, hope you are enjoying LA...

#56 BOS-T-Time

BOS-T-Time

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Trains, planes, camping, coffee, laughing, cooking, reading, my friends, my half dead pet cactus, and trip reports.

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:47 AM

Hello,
I am 32 year old male from Boston, and currently am living here as well, accent and all, so my home base is South Station (wish the other 75% of the structure still existed). I have been working for an airline at Logan (on the ground) for the past 14 years and love all modes of transportation but my real passion is rail travel. Oddly enough, I am not a good flyer at all which has led me to the rails. Single life and loving it that way, freedom to move about with nothing holding me back :) .

My first experience with Amtrak was on the Northest Direct from NYP-BOS via the inland route on the last train out sometime in the late 90's, a nice 6 hour ride that turned kind of crazy. We had to stop somewhere south of New Rochelle as police were investigating a "person" near the tracks, not sure if it was a homeless person sleeping or a body at that point. I fell in love with the harvest yellow seats and general friendliness of everyone onboard which seems to have gone to the wayside with flying since it has become very stressful in some instances. I have been up and down the Northeast Corridor on both the Regionals and Acelas many times and have yet to undertake an overnight train.

I would like to meet up with some other people and take trips with them that are avid rail fans, and would like to get more involved with the AU community as I have really enjoyed reading all the forum posts and especially the trip reports. I have been learning so much about the history of the railroads throughout the country and enjoy hearing everyone's stories and past experiences. I hope our country can continue the momentum of rail growth in the future.
Feel free to message me as I am pretty dam friendly with my New England sarcasm thrown in for good measure.

Happy rails to all.

Bos-T-Time

Edited by BOS-T-Time, 17 October 2012 - 07:00 AM.

#57 Guest_Three_*

Guest_Three_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:23 PM

I stared my first train ride in 1954. My Dad came and picked me up from Kinder Garden School and we caught the train in Crozet Va and we rode to Washington DC on the Crescent. What a wonderful time, saw the Smithsonian, the Washington Senators. The Union Station was wonderful and saw all of the old trains. I now ride the Amtrak, fun . :rolleyes:

#58 GG-1

GG-1

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,113 posts
  • Interests:PRR GG1 and riding the rails to "see the USA in your Chev".....Train

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:44 PM

Aloha

I have decided I am a "NOBODY" I ride trains!:rolleyes:

GG-1, Aloha, Mahalo = Thanks
http://gg-1.smugmug.com/'>Picture Galleries

Posted Image

#59 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,613 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:12 PM

1350855857[/url]' post='400776']
Aloha

I have decided I am a "NOBODY" I ride trains!:rolleyes:

Even though there is no Amtrak in either LV (NV) or HNL. And Ambuses (aka the Dog) doesn't count!)Posted Image
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

#60 Poindexter118

Poindexter118

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:39 PM

I'm 65, retired. I live in So Cal. My 1st train ride was going from L.A. to New York, D.C & the East Coast. This was in '63. Before Amtrak came on the scene. We took different railroads across the country. The Union Pacific, the Southern Pacific, the B & O, the C & O, the Pennsy, Santa Fe,etc. I went with my folks. The trip, as I remember was about 6 weeks.

I really enjoyed the trip.

I've taken other train trips since. My wife and I took the Desert Storm from L.A. to Las Vegas, NV. That was a great trip. I'm sorry it doesn't exist anymore.

I've taken the Amtrak up north and to Arizona. Both were great trips. These were business trips.

I know Amtrak has some money problems, but I do support them through NARP.

:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users