• Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

#321 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,738 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 27 September 2016 - 02:59 PM

I'm no Scientist, but it's obvious that strange things are happening all over the world.

Perhaps a viewing of "An Inconvienent Truth" would help wake up the Geniuses who deny Climate Change is real? 🙈🙉🙊

Edited by Bob Dylan, 27 September 2016 - 02:59 PM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#322 PaulDobbs

PaulDobbs

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:44 PM

I'm 72 years old, a retired software engineer. After graduating from college with a math degree, I spent 11 years in the Air Force. I flew U-10 Helio Couriers in Vietnam, flying in circles playing propaganda tapes over a 1000 watt PA system. Probably bored the VC to death. Then two years in California as a copilot on C-141 transports mostly flying back and forth to Vietnam. Finished up in Fort Worth flying B-52Ds. Got out in 1979, finished a master's degree in Computer Science and went to work in the defense industry. Worked at General Dynamics Fort Worth Division and LTV, both of which eventually were bought by Lockheed Martin. My last project was to create a common controller for a number of unmanned systems, including an unmanned aerial vehicle and an unmanned ground vehicle. Retired in 2010 at the age of 66.

I love airplanes but hate airlines. I take trips on Amtrak about four times a year. Since I live in Fort Worth, that means riding 21/22 a lot every time (except for one Oklahoma City trip). I've given in to my liking for comfort, and so travel by bedroom, since I can generally afford it. To date, all my rides have been for the purpose of going to various conventions, or returning from helping my older daughter move (twice). I'm thinking of doing a bucket list thing, riding all of Amtrak, but I haven't decided to do it by train name or by track route.

#323 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,738 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:02 PM

Welcome and thanks for your service!

It's always good to have a fellow Texan AU member!

As an Amtrak rider since 1971 and retiree, I've had the pleasure of riding every Amtrak LD Route except the Pioneer, and urge you to do your dream trip, you won't regret it!

Edited by Bob Dylan, 11 October 2016 - 08:03 PM.

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#324 meema

meema

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, travel, food, family.

Posted 25 December 2016 - 08:14 PM

I'm a 60 year old lady, still working full-time as a forensic technician for the Michigan State Police.

I have taken the train back and forth between East Lansing or Battle Creek Michigan and Chicago. I also rode the Capitol (?) to Cleveland OH in 2008. My first LD trip was from Michigan to Ft. Lauderdale back in 1976. Now I am thinking of traveling from Michigan to Portland OR via rail. Probably won't be this summer as I want to undergo a knee replacement, but the next summer, if things stay sufficiently the same.

I have been reading this forum with great interest. I really appreciate all the great information you all have imparted. I look forward to being a member.

#325 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,196 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 08:25 PM

I'm a 60 year old lady, still working full-time as a forensic technician for the Michigan State Police.

I have taken the train back and forth between East Lansing or Battle Creek Michigan and Chicago. I also rode the Capitol (?) to Cleveland OH in 2008. My first LD trip was from Michigan to Ft. Lauderdale back in 1976. Now I am thinking of traveling from Michigan to Portland OR via rail. Probably won't be this summer as I want to undergo a knee replacement, but the next summer, if things stay sufficiently the same.

I have been reading this forum with great interest. I really appreciate all the great information you all have imparted. I look forward to being a member.

Welcome from another "little old lady" (61).  I've been traveling on LD trains since 2011 when one of my daughters moved to Utah.  Since meeting the great people here on AU, I've been fortunate to meet some of each year at the annual gatherings which has given me excuses to take the trains and see parts of the country I've never seen.

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015: May: CHI=>CIN(pd-Card) / CIN=>WIL(pts Card)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

2016: Mar: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct:  WIL=>NYP=>NYP=>WIL (Autumn Express) 

#326 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,738 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 08:31 PM

Welcome to AU, it's great to have another Michigander and Train lover in AU! Hopefully Winter will be brief and Mild up there in the Almost Great White North.😁

#327 OBS

OBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 12:11 PM

Welcome to AU, it's great to have another Michigander and Train lover in AU! Hopefully Winter will be brief and Mild up there in the Almost Great White North.

Where in Michigan are you from?

Grew up in Grand Haven....

#328 Austruck

Austruck

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Writing, Comedy, Typewriters, Crocheting, Guinea pigs, Meandering around Sam's Club looking for huge vats of salsa

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:46 AM

I'm a writer and proofreader in western Pennsylvania near Pittsburgh. (Go Steelers! <-----obligatory cheer required by local law)

Grew up on the other end of the state in Easton, Pa. (home of Crayola crayons, the oldest flag in the country, and the spot of one of the first public readings of the Declaration of Independence, among other things). Moved out to Pittsburgh for college in the late '70s and then just stayed here.

I'm a 55-yr-old empty nester, married to an engineer math-brain that I have yet to figure out. (But that's okay; he hasn't figured ME out yet, either.) We have six grown kids between us, three of whom are married. Cross-country train trip has been on my bucket list forever. I'm finally going (first train trip ever!) in May of this year! And I feel like a kid at Christmas!

#329 VAtrainfan

VAtrainfan

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Travel (by air or rail or highway), roller coasters

Posted 26 January 2017 - 10:26 PM

44-year-old TV guy. Primary job is I.T. support, but I also push the buttons during the local news.

Never rode Amtrak until about 3 years ago. My first train ride was in 5th grade, during a class trip. Some historical organization had restored one of the Pocahontas trains and was taking it on a promo tour. Not sure it was going all the way from Norfolk to Cincinnati, but it did go at least as far as Petersburg. Our class caught the train in Wakefield at the grade crossing, and rode to Crater Road in Petersburg (not the PTB station) where we disembarked and had to climb down a very steep hill to where a school bus was waiting to take us back down 460 to Wakefield (where our parents were parked).

My first job was at Busch Gardens Williamsburg, and it was there that I got used to "commuting" (through the park) via train. I worked on the opposite side of the park from the employee entrance and used the train to get to my work area. It was a lot easier and faster than hoofing it all the way across the park, and management actually encouraged us to ride it.

In college, my dorm freshman year was right on the railroad tracks and I learned to distinguish between Amtrak and freight trains by the sound of their horns. The engines Amtrak used on the Carolinian in 1990/91 had higher-pitched horns than the Norfolk Southern engines, but the NS engines leaned on the horn for much longer than Amtrak. I always wanted to take Amtrak home but my parents were unwilling to drive to RVR or PTB to pick me up.

So it wasn't until Amtrak began service to Norfolk that I took the plunge and took the NER for a spin. I was immediately hooked. My sister's family lives in York, PA and I take the NER and Keystone up to Lancaster a couple of times a year to visit. Predictably, my sister doesn't get why I take the train when driving is considerably faster (and she's not wrong: 6-hour drive, 10+ hour train ride including PHL connection). But I get to do something other than drive for those 10 hours, and not put 600 more miles on my aging Jeep.

I'd rather save my Jeep for epic road trips, which I try to take about once every two years. Last year I drove to Toronto by way of New Jersey (detour so I could take the Cape May-Lewes ferry just for grins). And I also got to ride the TTC several times while visiting Toronto. :) I also hit four amusement parks on that trip: two in NJ, two in ON. Plus the York Fair.

I'm also a Coaster Enthusiast and a huge air travel fan - I'm an insufferable Delta fanboy, but I'll try to keep that in check :lol: although after recently getting AGR points for flying United, I'll be flying them more often.

Born & raised in Virginia, lived in North Carolina in the 1990s, but I have very deep Colorado roots thanks to my mom's side of the family. As such, I was raised a Broncos fan and have since become a Rockies fan. And I hope to one day take Amtrak to Denver.

#330 Big Joe

Big Joe

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 02:03 PM

Retired History professor, in mid 60's. First time Amtrak traveler and kind of confused; reason for joining the forum. Thanks to all.

#331 LookingGlassTie

LookingGlassTie

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 07:28 PM

I am a 40-year old CAD (Computer-Aided Drafting) Tech for the City of Chesapeake VA Public Works Department.   I just took my first Amtrak trip about a week ago, and I might be taking another one this summer.

I was born in Portsmouth, VA (my dad is retired Navy) and have lived in that area of VA all my life.  

As for Amtrak routes, I now have the Northeast Regional under my belt.  Based on my travel habits, the other routes that I most likely would take are:  Silver Meteor and Star, Crescent, Capitol Limited, Blue Water, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief and Pacific Surfliner.   

#332 Chessie

Chessie

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 09:58 PM

I am a 40-year old CAD (Computer-Aided Drafting) Tech for the City of Chesapeake VA Public Works Department.   I just took my first Amtrak trip about a week ago, and I might be taking another one this summer.

I was born in Portsmouth, VA (my dad is retired Navy) and have lived in that area of VA all my life.  

As for Amtrak routes, I now have the Northeast Regional under my belt.  Based on my travel habits, the other routes that I most likely would take are:  Silver Meteor and Star, Crescent, Capitol Limited, Blue Water, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief and Pacific Surfliner.   

You have my dream job. :)

May I ask what kind of projects do you do? Do you draft buildings? Bridges? Train tracks?

#333 rittersport

rittersport

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:06 PM

I'm a retired Presbyterian minister living in Omaha. B.A. From the University of Oregon '71. M.Divinity '78 from San Francisco Theological Seminary. Many years serving civilian churches in Oregon, Idaho and Nebraska. Air Force chaplaincy years in Massachusetts, Germany and New Mexico.

Traveled a lot on the Cascadia in Oregon and Washington. Really enjoyed traveling sleeper from Omaha to D.C. This month I'm traveling the Zepher from Omaha to Sacramento and up to the Pacific Northwest via Coastal Starlight. Love it!

#334 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,738 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:39 PM

Welcome to AU fellow Train Lovers! We look forward to sharing your adventures via rail!😎

#335 LookingGlassTie

LookingGlassTie

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:50 PM

May I ask what kind of projects do you do? Do you draft buildings? Bridges? Train tracks?

Ohhh I help to prepare drawings for stormwater drainage projects, right-of-way acquisitions, easements and road improvement projects.  

#336 Chessie

Chessie

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:31 AM

Ohhh I help to prepare drawings for stormwater drainage projects, right-of-way acquisitions, easements and road improvement projects.  

Sounds awesome!   :)

#337 GBNorman

GBNorman

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 05:09 PM

I'm retired after a career of first Military Service (USAF; Nam 67-8), then with a railroad (70-81) holding various non-Agreement positions. During '82, I entered private practice as a CPA. which kept me "quite occupied" until my '03 retirement. My Amtrak travels are largely confined to Auto-Train most every year.

#338 Rockymtnchris

Rockymtnchris

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Travel, of course! Also superheroes and sports figures.

Posted 11 March 2017 - 05:56 PM

Mid-fifties long time disc jockey and still part-time entertainer in the Denver area. Married, but usually travel solo when going to visit MY relatives :P....(Spouse has often done the same with the in-laws.) Originally from Modesto, CA with family members still in that area that I often refer to as "whine country". FWIW, outside of commuter rail, (i.e. BART), I had never set foot on "real" trains (Amtrak) until I was in my thirties, and still have never been on a cruise ship.

titavatar_zpsgppjc9u6.jpg

I'll always consider new forms of travel, including time...

#339 Piper909

Piper909

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 06:49 PM

Recently retired Austin couple (University of Texas and state government), looking to travel by train as we love to do in Europe -- how does Amtrak compare?  We hate flying,  and long-distance drives beyond a day are too wearying and time consuming. Can Amtrak  be our alternative means of travel?  This is the year we want to find out, starting this fall, I hope.  I'm dredging up all the information I can in advance and this forum promises to be extremely well valuable.

#340 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,738 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:38 PM

Recently retired Austin couple (University of Texas and state government), looking to travel by train as we love to do in Europe -- how does Amtrak compare?  We hate flying,  and long-distance drives beyond a day are too wearying and time consuming. Can Amtrak  be our alternative means of travel?  This is the year we want to find out, starting this fall, I hope.  I'm dredging up all the information I can in advance and this forum promises to be extremely well valuable.

Welcome from a fellow Austin resident and retired Government employee who works PT @ UT Athletics to supplement my retirement.

I suggest you take a short trip on the Texas Eagle #22, say Austin to Ft. Worth, and book a Roomette which will include Breakfast in the Diner (Austin is last call for Sleeper passengers) and Lunch after the Temple stop.

Once you arrive in Ft Worth consider catching the Heartland Flyer to Oklahoma City,overnite in OKC and then take Coach back to Ft Worth and on to Austin. (Last Call Lunch is served on #21 after boarding in Ft Worth, you'll have to pay for the meal in Coach or else grab a Subway or Hot Dog in the Ft Worth Station while waiting for #21 to arrive.

This will give you a good idea of Supeiner equipped trains, both Sleepers ( check the Bedrooms out if one is empty) and Coach as well as the Diner.

Since you are retired and are flexible in your travel plans, you can use amsnag.net, a great price comparison tool developed by an AU member where you can check fares and room upgrade charges for 30 days,at a time up to 11 months in advance. ( each of you pays the Rail Fare but the room is one price for two and includes meals in the Diner)and pick the days with the lowest fares. (Supply and Demand!)

Edited by Bob Dylan, 31 March 2017 - 11:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users