Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Sumitomo/Siemens Contract for 137 Cars (former bi-levels)

• Please log in to reply
1149 replies to this topic

#961 A Voice

A Voice

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:52 PM

The interior looks very much like the Brightline cars.

Too bad they did not give the numbers of individual types of cars - Coach, Business and Cab/Coach.

The Cab car looks like they glue on a SC-44 safety cab structure onto one end of the car, with quite a bit of crumple zone behind it and ahead of the passenger compartment.

Fifty-four coaches and seventeen each of cafe and coach/business class cars for the Midwest (no cab cars).  Thirty-five coaches, seven cafe, and seven cab cars for California.  

The thought that strikes me is that we're now talking five years for delivery of the last car of a current production model from an open, existing facility.  

Edited by A Voice, 09 January 2018 - 01:00 PM.

#962 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:15 PM

5 years ?  Does that mean that there are no available building slots for some Amtrak units ?  Let us hope that is not the case ?  If so its back to CAF for Amtrak ?  There may be Brightline option slots involved as well ?

Edited by west point, 09 January 2018 - 01:19 PM.

#963 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,715 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:23 PM

I bet the five years includes slots for the Caltrans/IDOT order plus the Birghtline top up (a total of some 8 or 10 consists with ten cars each built including the current 5 consists of 4 cars each, if I recall correctly) that is due in the 2020 timeframe. I am sure if Amtrak places a substantial order they will figure out some way to deliver it. Afterall, by then Siemens Mobility and Alstom will be the same company too, most likely.

My suspicion is that some of the stretching out to 2023 may have to do with the ability of the Midwest states to line up funding for this, since the Feddiebux with time limitations are probably gone.

#964 A Voice

A Voice

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:27 PM

My suspicion is that some of the stretching out to 2023 may have to do with the ability of the Midwest states to line up funding for this, since the Feddiebux with time limitations are probably gone.

I would tend to suspect the same, as I've seen it reported that the Midwest cars are, indeed, being constructed with state funds.  

I have serious doubts that Brightline will ever actually need all its cars, but I digress.  

Edited by A Voice, 09 January 2018 - 01:28 PM.

#965 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,144 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:54 PM

I dunno; I was fairly certain Brightline wasn't going to ever turn a wheel, and it has already done that. So while I will never hold my breath for a rail start up, I am more optimistic than for most.

Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#966 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,715 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 02:31 PM

I think AAF will take delivery of everything and then simply start a side business of equipment leasing should they not need some of it for the time being. Since they have been seriously talking about service to Jacksonville of late, I suspect they will eventually need them. And meanwhile there will always be some state operation that could do with a few high quality cars and engines instead of trying to glue together stuff from the 1950's.

heck New York State could do wonders with say four or five six or seven car sets., albeit with regular AAR couplers in the end cars.

#967 Blackwolf

Blackwolf

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts
  • Interests:Public Safety, passenger rail, travel, hunting, fishing

Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:17 PM

The break-down of which California routes see the new single-level cars is one I have interest in seeing.

If, as I suspect, that the vast majority go:

• to the very early/late Capitol Corridor runs
  • the San Luis Obispo - San Diego Surfliner run
  • all but a handful of San Joaquin trains.

I see that the manufacturer lies alongside the San Joaquin route as a very big benefit because it is only a matter of when, an not even slightly if, there is an incident where one of these new Siemens cab cars crashes into a farm truck or car in the central valley.  Having the factory right there means repair will be much more expedient.

Amtrak
Capitol Corridor (too many times to count!); Coast Starlight (x21); California Zephyr (x7); Empire Builder (x2); Lake Shore Limited (x4); Maple Leaf (x1); Adirondack (x2); Cascades (x1); Pacific Surfliner (x6); San Joaquin (x8); Capitol Limited (x1); Cardinal (x2); Acela (x1)
VIA Rail
Ocean (x4); Windsor Corridor (x2); The Canadian (x1)

#968 CCC1007

CCC1007

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:20 PM

The break-down of which California routes see the new single-level cars is one I have interest in seeing.

If, as I suspect, that the vast majority go:

• to the very early/late Capitol Corridor runs
  • the San Luis Obispo - San Diego Surfliner run
  • all but a handful of San Joaquin trains.
I see that the manufacturer lies alongside the San Joaquin route as a very big benefit because it is only a matter of when, an not even slightly if, there is an incident where one of these new Siemens cab cars crashes into a farm truck or car in the central valley.  Having the factory right there means repair will be much more expedient.
I think the single level cars should find a home on the San Joaquin trains, especially when they move to the new CAHSR line that is under construction. If I recall correctly, that was one of the stipulations of the federal funds for the high speed project, that Amtrak shift to the line until it is operating with true high speed trains.

#969 Hotblack Desiato

Hotblack Desiato

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:15 AM

Unless CA has a contract with Siemens to do wreck repairs, it wont really matter how close they are to the plant. Even if they did, theres no guarantee that the manufacturing plant is where theyd do the repair.

Edited by Hotblack Desiato, 10 January 2018 - 12:16 AM.

#970 Hotblack Desiato

Hotblack Desiato

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:18 AM

Unless CA has a contract with Siemens to do wreck repairs, it wont really matter how close they are to the plant. Even if they did, theres no guarantee that the manufacturing plant is where theyd do the repair.

Ok. Totally random, off-topic, but why is the board deleting my apostrophe to make the contraction of they would (theyd)? Because I am nit-picky about it, I tried editing it twice and it keeps on being removed.

Edited by Hotblack Desiato, 10 January 2018 - 09:32 AM.

#971 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:29 AM

Don’t think it’s the board...
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#972 Hotblack Desiato

Hotblack Desiato

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:34 AM

What else could it be? No matter how many times I put the apostrophe in, and visually verify that it’s still there (no poorly functioning autocorrect to take it away when I look away), and click submit with the apostrophe correctly there, when the post appears on the board, it’s gone.

#973 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,144 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:37 AM

Its the fact that your device, proabavly an iPhone, auto corrects to a directional apostrophe which the board doesnt recognize.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#974 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:39 AM

Given that your second post and mine both contain them (as does this one), it wouldn’t appear to be the board.

Did you use the same browser/computer for both posts?
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#975 Hotblack Desiato

Hotblack Desiato

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:42 AM

It’s fine if I’m writing “it’s” or “I’m.” But in the specific contraction of “they would” (they’d), it wouldn’t let me keep the apostrophe. Let’s see how it works in this post.

#976 Hotblack Desiato

Hotblack Desiato

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:42 AM

Of course they’d let it work that time.

#977 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:35 AM

The post you’re complaining about was also missing one in “there’s”, which they’d also allow to work. :P
Posted Image

#978 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,715 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:47 AM

Must have been those missing apostrophes that caused the buff strength test to fail :P

#979 Trogdor

Trogdor

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:51 PM

Must have been those missing apostrophes that caused the buff strength test to fail :P

Or maybe along those lines, perhaps someone read 800,000 lbs and thought the comma was a decimal point (in French, the comma and decimal point have opposite meanings, so it would be written as 800.000) and only build the cars to 800 pounds of strength.

Posted Image

#980 randomguy65

randomguy65

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:41 PM

The cars are ADA compliant with a 2+2 setup... those seats are gonna be TINY.

As someone who rides the San Joaquins, I already hate them.

Edited by randomguy65, 11 January 2018 - 04:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users