Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Sumitomo/Siemens Contract for 137 Cars (former bi-levels)

• Please log in to reply
982 replies to this topic

#841 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,762 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:58 PM

No idea how this will effect the Seimens sub-contract, but it seems that both Siemens and Alstrom's rail divisions are now merged.

https://www.nytimes....er.html?mcubz=0

The two boards have approved the merger, but regulatory approval is still pending.

#842 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,332 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:47 PM

Alstom's logo will be the survivor.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#843 frequentflyer

frequentflyer

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 01:49 PM

http://www.highspeed...ly 9-30-17.docx

Posted on Railroad.net the minutes from a recent meeting. Ok d the change to the weight spec for single level cars.

#844 PaulM

PaulM

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,140 posts
  • Interests:Bicycling, computer programming, website development, concert band, train travel

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:30 AM

Storage space in Chicago is limited, until the P-42 locomotives are re-deployed by Amtrak.

Will this lead to a reduction of the frequency of engine failures on LD trains?

#845 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:10 AM

In a word "Maybe"   If availability of more spares allows units to be properly fixed or not sent out when they are borderline, yes. If a rebuild plan were put into p[lace where we could sacrifice more units over longer periods of time, yes. If they conduct business as it has been conducted, no, they will just have more spares to use as protects when the failures continue to occur. Better availability of protects doesn't cut failures to a great degree, but it would probably cut down on rentals. If a unit were acting troublesome, I guess having one available for a swap before it quits completely is probably a plus.

Edited by PVD, 27 October 2017 - 11:11 AM.

#846 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,095 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:42 AM

Bad maintenance practices and lazy employees is not solved by replacing equipment. I think some of the problem is that when Chicago maintenance is sending a unit out on a train, and they think something might be wrong, they cant be *bleep*ed to go to the trouble of swapping it out, or seeing if there is a quick fix they could implement that would give it a better chance of completing its run.

I dont think Amtrak actually has a performance evaluation metric that grades maintenance employees on the number of okd equipment that seppukus itself on a run- but they should.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#847 WoodyinNYC

WoodyinNYC

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:51 PM

... okd equipment that seppukus itself on a run

seppuku synonym = harikiri

#848 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 03:16 PM

Don't assume it is always on the workers. Very often management fails to create an environment where quality is possible, and sometimes quantity over quality is emphasized. You need to do x jobs in a week, regardless of whether the tools, parts, or capability exists. That is a common business practice.

#849 A Voice

A Voice

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:57 PM

While poor maintenance practices are certainly a problem at Amtrak, in fairness you also have to recognize the chronic shortages of equipment which don't allow sufficient time "in the shop".  Lack of proper mechanical attention naturally leads to more locomotive failures, and a lack of sufficient spares inevitably results in marginal units being sent out lacking needed work which, while not critical, really ought to have been done first.   

#850 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:39 PM

Amtrak's MPR page A 4.10 lists loco 457 as its 4 year compressor overhaul being cancelled at LAX.  Stated reason is to save money and return the loco 457 back to the bank.  That may mean all locos in that series are leased and will return as soon as required  maintenance is missed or a major failure happens.  From the entry appears 457 does not have to be returned to bank in operable condition ?  

Time to start a F-59 sighting thread.

Edited by west point, 28 October 2017 - 02:46 PM.

#851 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,095 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:50 AM

While poor maintenance practices are certainly a problem at Amtrak, in fairness you also have to recognize the chronic shortages of equipment which don't allow sufficient time "in the shop".  Lack of proper mechanical attention naturally leads to more locomotive failures, and a lack of sufficient spares inevitably results in marginal units being sent out lacking needed work which, while not critical, really ought to have been done first.   

Irrelevant. Chicago Maintenance has been the laughingstock of the NA rail industry for years. I heard a rumor that NJTs Meadowlands Maintenence Complex does better work... and in NJT they themselves call it the Mickey Mouse Club.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#852 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,514 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:56 AM

GML, I agree.

BTW, I met a bunch of refugees from the MMC who left NJT because they just could not deal with MMC management any more, so they decamped to Brightline. They have done a beautiful job setting up the new maintenance facility at West Palm Beach in collaboration with Siemens.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#853 MisterUptempo

MisterUptempo

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 02:27 PM

http://www.highspeed...ly 9-30-17.docx

Posted on Railroad.net the minutes from a recent meeting. Ok d the change to the weight spec for single level cars.

To clarify, and to get the thread back on topic, Caltrans issued a Document Change Request to have the weight limitations changed on the 305-003 single-level specs. The change has not been approved. According to the minutes of the October 24, 2017 Executive Board meeting, the Technical Subcommittee will vote on the DCR in November. If approved, it and a series of newly filed DCRs move on to the Executive Board and a recently reconvened Single-Level Specification Review Panel. Approved changes will be included in a Revision B of the 305-003 specs.

A "renewed interest by several entities to use the 305-003 single level car specifications" was cited as the reason for restarting the review panel.

AH9c4eh.jpg

The minutes from the October 24, 2017 Executive Board meeting can be found here - http://www.highspeed...24-17 DRAFT.doc

Edited by MisterUptempo, 28 October 2017 - 02:32 PM.

#854 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,514 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 02:42 PM

All this mumbo jumbo sounds so familiar, having worked a significant portion of my professional career on standards :D

#855 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,332 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 03:02 PM

Irrelevant. Chicago Maintenance has been the laughingstock of the NA rail industry for years.

Decades. The stories date back before Penn Central to the Pennsy. Arguably Amtrak should never have absorbed that particular Pennsy shop.
--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#856 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:24 PM

Are the Midwest cars going to have a similar interior to those operated by Brightline? Although I still prefer a bi-level design, I was rather impressed with the Irish Rail Enterprise service on Tuesday (on my first European trip), which appears similar inside to a Brightline coach.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Amtrak Forum mobile app
<p>Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SEA-LAX, CZ CHI-RIC, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB SEA-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS/NYP-CHI, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-CLT, SM ORL-NYP, SS FTL-NYP

#857 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,514 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 05:06 AM

Unknown. Even the Siemens substitution is not a given thing. It has not been finalized yet and it may yet not happen. Or so we learned yesterday.

#858 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,247 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 04 November 2017 - 09:06 AM

Unknown. Even the Siemens substitution is not a given thing. It has not been finalized yet and it may yet not happen. Or so we learned yesterday.

Jis, what did you learn yesterday?

#859 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,514 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 09:31 AM

That nothing is decided yet as final decision and it is pretty much up in the air. We were told by at least one (non-Amtrak) person who is knowledgable about what is actually going on but cannot give any details without endangering his source, that at present there is no reliable news to report.

#860 A Voice

A Voice

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 02:25 PM

That nothing is decided yet as final decision and it is pretty much up in the air. We were told by at least one (non-Amtrak) person who is knowledgable about what is actually going on but cannot give any details without endangering his source, that at present there is no reliable news to report.

Interesting.  I had assumed the uncertainty stemmed just from the fact nothing is yet finalized, not that there were really other options on the table.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users