lower vs. upper level roomette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark P

Train Attendant
I used AGR points to get a roomette on the Capitol Limited from WAS to CHI. I found out the one I was given, and also the only one available, was a lower level roomette. I was not too pleased by this as I was hoping for an upper level because I assume the views are better. However, maybe the lower level ones are better for other reasons, I dunno. Can people give me the pros and cons of a lower level roomette vs an upper level one? For reference, I am in Car 2901 - Room 12. Thanks!

I like lower level roomettes. They are the same as upper level and more conveniently

located to the shower and bathrooms. If you have luggage, the racks are next to your

room. The lower level room have less traffic of other passengers.

we were in a lower level roomette on the cl last week. imho, the lower level view seems like the train is moving faster as you are nearer to the tracks and is kind of fun. not as good for photography but the ssl is probably best for that in any event. it's nice being near your luggage on the lower level (assuming you don't check your bags) and their is less traffic past your room. be on the lookout for the old roundhouse at martinsburg (n side of train) and the potomac near harper's ferry. be sure to arrive at was union station a little early to enjoy some time in the club acela and we were allowed to board about 40 min before departure so i would recommend checking into the club acela and hour and a half before departure

Well, all I can say is, if it was the only one available, just be glad you got the last roomette.

The only problems I see with the lower level roomettes are the boarding and detraining passenger noise, and the people going to and from the bathrooms during the night. Otherwise, it should be a fun trip.

Also, welcome to AU Mark. Glad you joined the AU family.

Anthony

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been in both upper and lower level roomettes on the Superliners and I prefer the lower level. It's more quiet on the lower level (people wise), as you don't have the constant flow of traffic of people going from car to car and passing by your room. I like the fact that I'm close to the luggage storage rack and can easily access my suitcase. It is nice being by the bathrooms and the shower also - especially at night if you're in your pj's. I think there is less "rocking" on the lower level since your closer to the tracks. It's also easier to keep an eye on your luggage at each stop (if you're worried about it). I have a trip coming up in 2 weeks - have a lower level on the Texas Eagle and an upper level on the Capital Limited - wish I thought about this earlier and requested a lower level on the CL.

I also prefer the lower level roomettes. As others have pointed out, it's closer to the restrooms and the shower. It's also easy to step out for fresh air at the smoke stops.

As for scenery, I spend most time in the Sightseer Lounge. That way I can see out both sides of the train.

Anyway, good luck. Enjoy your trip!

I extremly dislike the lower level rooms. I think that they feel like the bowels of the train, surrounded by restrooms, equipment, and storage. The weeds and buses also close in around you. Personally I would save the points for later and take Greyhound if amtrak is too expensive to pay for. I understand that certain others will disagree, but hey, I'm a bus fan, too!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done upper and lower roomettes on the EB - for me it's OK either way.

The worst of the upper level is the upper berth on the upper level magnifies the swaying but only only noticed the sway on the Fargo-Minot and the Spokane-Pasco stages.

The only problem with the lower level roomettes is the viewpoint looking out the window is limited by being so low down.

If noise bothers you -- can't say much because I've never noticed that as a problem - consider what others say.

Hmm...after reading these replies I've even more torn between whether or not it'll be a good experience! I will definitely appreciate the absence of foot traffic going between the cars, but I am worried about being right next to the bathroom and hearing people going in and out of the bathroom. Does anyone know where my room is in respect to the bathrooms? I am in Car 2901 - Room 12. I also enjoy views on the train a lot, so I am upset to hear that a lot of bushes and weeds will be in my way. Maybe this means I will have to hang out in the SSL to get the views I want. Also hadn't considered the noise made from people getting on/off the train at the stations in the middle of the night, hopefully it's not too audible. I do like how there will not be as much swaying on the lower level, and that a greater sense of speed is provided by being lower to the tracks. I'm taking the train next week so nothing left to do but wait and see! Thanks for the replies!

Hmm...after reading these replies I've even more torn between whether or not it'll be a good experience! I will definitely appreciate the absence of foot traffic going between the cars, but I am worried about being right next to the bathroom and hearing people going in and out of the bathroom. Does anyone know where my room is in respect to the bathrooms? I am in Car 2901 - Room 12. I also enjoy views on the train a lot, so I am upset to hear that a lot of bushes and weeds will be in my way. Maybe this means I will have to hang out in the SSL to get the views I want. Also hadn't considered the noise made from people getting on/off the train at the stations in the middle of the night, hopefully it's not too audible. I do like how there will not be as much swaying on the lower level, and that a greater sense of speed is provided by being lower to the tracks. I'm taking the train next week so nothing left to do but wait and see! Thanks for the replies!
Diagrams at this LINK will show you where you room will be and what's near it.

Keep in mind that a) there is a restroom upstairs, so people coming down will use it as a 2nd choice. Folks in the bedrooms have their own bathroom (and shower), so you're only dealing with a handful of roomette passengers.

I quite frankly don't understand why they don't have windows for the top bunk on the lower level of a Superliner. Oh well.

I used AGR points to get a roomette on the Capitol Limited from WAS to CHI. I found out the one I was given, and also the only one available, was a lower level roomette. I was not too pleased by this as I was hoping for an upper level because I assume the views are better. However, maybe the lower level ones are better for other reasons, I dunno. Can people give me the pros and cons of a lower level roomette vs an upper level one? For reference, I am in Car 2901 - Room 12. Thanks!
Check this post for a detailed summary of advantages/disadvantages of upper & lower roomettes:

http://discuss.amtra...post__p__386241

I just booked a trip on the TE, and got roomette 12. I considered giving the lower level a shot, I've always been on the upper level, but decided to give them a call anyway. Got changed to room 9, which may, or may not be better, since it's at the end of the car by the doors....Maybe I'll get lucky and it will be the end door of the train. I guess we'll see. I wasn't too concerned about it either way, if 12 was all they had left, I would have stayed put, but I think I would prefer the upper. I don't think I would cancel or change plans, just because of a lower level room. As some have said, there are even some decided benefits to a lower.

I'm looking forward to the trip, it's not often my schedule allows taking the train for business, but in this case it works out ok. (at least 1 way, going to fly back) OKC-FTW-CHI-KAL.

I just booked a trip on the TE, and got roomette 12. I considered giving the lower level a shot, I've always been on the upper level, but decided to give them a call anyway. Got changed to room 9, which may, or may not be better, since it's at the end of the car by the doors....Maybe I'll get lucky and it will be the end door of the train. I guess we'll see. I wasn't too concerned about it either way, if 12 was all they had left, I would have stayed put, but I think I would prefer the upper. I don't think I would cancel or change plans, just because of a lower level room. As some have said, there are even some decided benefits to a lower.

I'm looking forward to the trip, it's not often my schedule allows taking the train for business, but in this case it works out ok. (at least 1 way, going to fly back) OKC-FTW-CHI-KAL.
You know, come to think of it a lower roomette would be nice. For sightseeing, you would definitely want to be up on top for the grand vista views. There's a sightseeing lounge and diner for that. Gets you out of the room. For sleeping, so long as you're not over a bogey, it should be quite comfortable. I think I'd want to try that next time I get to get on a Superliner.

I remember riding on double decker trains in Japan (coach only). Since they have exclusively high platforms there, if you sit on the lower level, you see a lot of feet when you come into a station...

VentureForth said:
1349184013[/url]' post='397194']
Shortline said:
1349147865[/url]' post='397141']I just booked a trip on the TE, and got roomette 12. I considered giving the lower level a shot, I've always been on the upper level, but decided to give them a call anyway. Got changed to room 9, which may, or may not be better, since it's at the end of the car by the doors....Maybe I'll get lucky and it will be the end door of the train. I guess we'll see. I wasn't too concerned about it either way, if 12 was all they had left, I would have stayed put, but I think I would prefer the upper. I don't think I would cancel or change plans, just because of a lower level room. As some have said, there are even some decided benefits to a lower.

You know, come to think of it a lower roomette would be nice. For sightseeing, you would definitely want to be up on top for the grand vista views. There's a sightseeing lounge and diner for that. Gets you out of the room. For sleeping, so long as you're not over a bogey, it should be quite comfortable. I think I'd want to try that next time I get to get on a Superliner.

I remember riding on double decker trains in Japan (coach only). Since they have exclusively high platforms there, if you sit on the lower level, you see a lot of feet when you come into a station...
Yeah, I almost did it just to see the difference, but since I could change, I did. Here's to hoping I'm at the back of the car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back