Refund/discount for train travel related to funeral

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JackieTakestheTrain

Lead Service Attendant
Hi:

I have 2 questions:

1. Am I reading the new refund policy correctly? I read this to mean that if the amount of the sleeper and train fare are taken in the form of evoucher for future travel, that there is *no* cancellation fee?

From the policy directly:

"Refund Fee

Where applicable, refund fee is 10% of the total amount refunded, with a minimum amount of $5.00 and a maximum amount of $100.00 per refund transaction. Unless stated otherwise, if a ticket is refundable, the passenger may avoid any refund fee by accepting the full refund value of the ticket as an eVoucher or other exchange credit, good toward future travel within one year."

2. Does Amtrak offer any discounts to travel to funerals of immediate family members? If so, how do you go about obtaining one?

Thank you.

-- Jackie

1) That's the way I read it.

2) Best is to call Amtrak. I attempted to do it in the past however there is a bunch of hoops you have to jump thru to get the discount and in the end I just paid full-fare for the trip. If I recall you have to send them a copy of the death certificate, have something else I can't recall and be travelling within a short time period of the person's death (I think within a week).

peter

Hey everyone!

Thanks for the information and I need to clarify: No one has died...but they are very ill and it is an elderly person who is sick.

I had hoped to go down for Christmas, but I am re-thinking things as the situation changes, which is almost day by day. (For any of you who have had a loved one with a chronic illness or a lengthy illness, you know some times it is moment by moment.)

I find myself in between a rock and hard place: I don't know if I should buy a ticket or an airline ticket..thus, the reason for all my questions.

I do thank you for the sentiments and ask if we can have a few prayers and good wishes sent, it would be greatly appreciated. :)

-- Jackie

FYI, according to what I've been told, the bereavement discount applies only to coach fare (so when I went two time zones for a funeral, I didn't bother to ask for it). Call Amtrak up if you need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back