Station maps

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diecastaussie

Train Attendant
G'Day, Haven't traveled on AMTRAK before, so can anyone tell me how to find the Thruway bus depot at Los Angeles Union Station as we have to catch the bus to Bakersfield to connect with the San Joaquin to Emmeryville?

We will be coming directly from an international flight from Australia into Los Angeles airport (LAX) to the station and I suspect that time will be a little tight so I don't want to waste any time running around trying to find the bus.

If possible, is there somewhere on the web that I can find a plan of the station that will show where the Thruway buses pull in and depart from?

Thanks in advance

Garry :lol:

Garry,

I'm an Aussie living in San Francisco. I have done that awful flight many, many times. My suggestion is to stay overnight near the train station and get the Coast Starlight to Emeryville the next morning. This would be a much nicer trip than a thruway bus and then a train arriving very late into Emeryville. Get a roomette if it's in the budget nice meals and I think they do a wine & cheese thing in the afternoon for sleeping car passengers. I'm off on my first Amtrak holiday in 1 week & 4 days, but I'm not counting. :)

G'Day, Haven't traveled on AMTRAK before, so can anyone tell me how to find the Thruway bus depot at Los Angeles Union Station as we have to catch the bus to Bakersfield to connect with the San Joaquin to Emmeryville?

We will be coming directly from an international flight from Australia into Los Angeles airport (LAX) to the station and I suspect that time will be a little tight so I don't want to waste any time running around trying to find the bus.

If possible, is there somewhere on the web that I can find a plan of the station that will show where the Thruway buses pull in and depart from?
Unfortunately, I can't find a diagram with everything fully labeled. This is the best I could find:

Map-600x529.jpg

When you exit your terminal at LAX, you'll wait for the FlyAway bus on the outer "island," in an area that's under a green sign. There are several different FlyAway buses that end up at different locations, so make sure you board one with Union Station as its destination.

The FlyAway bus will arrive in the transit plaza on the east side of Union Station (lower right in the above diagram), which is where you'll pay for your FlyAway ticket (and they accept only credit cards). Then you'll walk in through the area that's labeled on the diagram as "East Portal," going downstairs and through the "Underground Walkway."

On the other end of the walkway, you'll come out into the Union Station waiting room. If you take a right before getting into the main part of the waiting room (which is where the "Union Station" label is on the diagram above), then you'll walk past a Starbucks and through the Amtrak baggage area, finally coming outside to the area where the Thruway buses are. On the diagram above, that's basically the "P" north of the station that's closer to the tracks. (And there are signs pointing to "Thruway Buses" that you should be able to follow.)

Thruway bus departures are announced in the main waiting room, so that's probably where you'll want to stay if you arrive early for your bus.

Garry,

I'm an Aussie living in San Francisco. I have done that awful flight many, many times. My suggestion is to stay overnight near the train station and get the Coast Starlight to Emeryville the next morning. This would be a much nicer trip than a thruway bus and then a train arriving very late into Emeryville. Get a roomette if it's in the budget nice meals and I think they do a wine & cheese thing in the afternoon for sleeping car passengers. I'm off on my first Amtrak holiday in 1 week & 4 days, but I'm not counting. :)
I agree. The San Joaquin is much less comfortable than the CS and the buses aren't that good either. Another option would be to just ride Greyhound, they've got a new President and great new D4505 buses on this route (LAD-SFD). Cheaper and faster than the San Joaquin, not exactly less comfortable.

Unfortunately, I can't find a diagram with everything fully labeled. This is the best I could find:

Map-600x529.jpg

When you exit your terminal at LAX, you'll wait for the FlyAway bus on the outer "island," in an area that's under a green sign. There are several different FlyAway buses that end up at different locations, so make sure you board one with Union Station as its destination.

The FlyAway bus will arrive in the transit plaza on the east side of Union Station (lower right in the above diagram), which is where you'll pay for your FlyAway ticket (and they accept only credit cards). Then you'll walk in through the area that's labeled on the diagram as "East Portal," going downstairs and through the "Underground Walkway."

On the other end of the walkway, you'll come out into the Union Station waiting room. If you take a right before getting into the main part of the waiting room (which is where the "Union Station" label is on the diagram above), then you'll walk past a Starbucks and through the Amtrak baggage area, finally coming outside to the area where the Thruway buses are. On the diagram above, that's basically the "P" north of the station that's closer to the tracks. (And there are signs pointing to "Thruway Buses" that you should be able to follow.)

Thruway bus departures are announced in the main waiting room, so that's probably where you'll want to stay if you arrive early for your bus.
Thanks Trainman74, this is exactly the information that I was hoping to get; this will make things much easier, especially the information about the Flyaway bus service; I thought that we would have to catch a taxi from LAX to Union Station.

Regarding the Flyaway bus from LAX

Garry,

I agree. The San Joaquin is much less comfortable than the CS and the buses aren't that good either. Another option would be to just ride Greyhound, they've got a new President and great new D4505 buses on this route (LAD-SFD). Cheaper and faster than the San Joaquin, not exactly less comfortable.
Thanks AnthonyM and Swadian Hardcore for the advice, we originally looked at the Coast Starlight because it runs straight out of Union Station and we were told that the scenery is much better. What changed our mind was that it would get us into San Fransisco late at night (around 10.00pm I think) and as we have not been to San Francisco before we were a little apprehensive about trying to find our hotel so late in the evening.

However, thanks to AnthonyM's suggestion we are reconsidering, also, we have read a few posts that suggest that the coach passengers on the San Joaquin can sometimes be a bit unruly, In addition the possibility of being able to take a shower and have a sleep in a bed after such a long flight (14 hours direct from Melbourne, Australia) is very appealing.

We will think on it a bit more as I think that I can change to the Coast Starlight and get a roomette for only $90 more which seems to be good value when you factor in 2 lunches and 2 dinners onboard.

Thanks for all the help

Thanks Trainman74, this is exactly the information that I was hoping to get; this will make things much easier, especially the information about the Flyaway bus service; I thought that we would have to catch a taxi from LAX to Union Station.
For some reason, I thought you'd mentioned the FlyAway in your original post, but I see you actually didn't!

More information about the FlyAway bus -- it could come in handy even if you do end up staying in an L.A. hotel for the night before taking the Coast Starlight the next day. It's definitely a lot cheaper than a taxi.

Garry,

Decision made; we changed our booking to the Coast Starlight with a roomette as you suggested, only cost an extra $90 which is good value, the attraction of being able to have a shower and a sleep in a flat bed after our long flight was too much to resist.

We have never been to San Francisco before so we booked the Thruway bus to the Ferry Terminal building which seemed to be the best place to get a taxi from when we arrive.

Can you suggest any reasonable hotels that are close to that location for our 3 night stay in San Francisco - we leave for Chicago on the Californian Zephyr on the morning of March 6?

Hope that you really enjoy your AMTRAK holiday; I know that we are really looking forward to ours even if it is still 162 days away! :giggle:

Thanks for your help.

G'day from another Aussie. We have stayed twice in the Comfort Inn by the Bay, which is on the corner of Van Ness Ave and the famous Lombard Street. It is partway between the touristy waterfront and the "downtown" (city) area. It is an easy downhill walk to the waterfront, but there are public buses both down and uphill if you wish, right by the Comfort Inn. What I like is that it has (hope it still does) a reasonable included breakfast served from 6.30 am and best of all, fantastic views over the harbour stretching from the Golden Gate Bridge right down the Bay, with Alcratraz right in the centre. Rooms with a view attract an extra charge and have to be specifically booked, but are worth it IMO, as you can sightsee every waking moment. All the buildings below this hotel are the older shorter ones, so the view is not impeded. Walk along the waterfront to find the sea lions and catch a ferry across the Bay to Sausalito. I also liked the small inexpensive boat tours of the Bay, the ones where you have to climb down a metal ladder to get on board.

Not sure if you have been to the US before, but tipping is the order of the day, even on Amtrak. We find it helps to keep a small cache of appropriate notes handy in an easily reached spot, to save dragging out your wallet all the time. That's the worst thing, the rest is great. Enjoy!

Jean

G'day from another Aussie. We have stayed twice in the Comfort Inn by the Bay, which is on the corner of Van Ness Ave and the famous Lombard Street. It is partway between the touristy waterfront and the "downtown" (city) area. It is an easy downhill walk to the waterfront, but there are public buses both down and uphill if you wish, right by the Comfort Inn. What I like is that it has (hope it still does) a reasonable included breakfast served from 6.30 am and best of all, fantastic views over the harbour stretching from the Golden Gate Bridge right down the Bay, with Alcratraz right in the centre. Rooms with a view attract an extra charge and have to be specifically booked, but are worth it IMO, as you can sightsee every waking moment. All the buildings below this hotel are the older shorter ones, so the view is not impeded. Walk along the waterfront to find the sea lions and catch a ferry across the Bay to Sausalito. I also liked the small inexpensive boat tours of the Bay, the ones where you have to climb down a metal ladder to get on board.

Not sure if you have been to the US before, but tipping is the order of the day, even on Amtrak. We find it helps to keep a small cache of appropriate notes handy in an easily reached spot, to save dragging out your wallet all the time. That's the worst thing, the rest is great. Enjoy!

Jean
G'Day Jean, thanks for the heads up on the Comfort Inn; we will investigate further through Hotels.com and Bookings.com.

Also appreciate your sight seeing suggestions as well as the reminder about the American "tipping" culture, we have been to America before, but not to San Francisco and points east. Regarding tipping Amtrak staff I had planned to ask a question on this forum and get some recommendations as we will have sleepers for our entire journey to New York so we are not paying for our meals and therefore we need a way of calculating the expected tips. :eek:hboy:

Also appreciate your sight seeing suggestions as well as the reminder about the American "tipping" culture, we have been to America before, but not to San Francisco and points east. Regarding tipping Amtrak staff I had planned to ask a question on this forum and get some recommendations as we will have sleepers for our entire journey to New York so we are not paying for our meals and therefore we need a way of calculating the expected tips. :eek:hboy:

All of your meal items have a menu price printed for coach passengers without prepaid meals. Just tip 15-20% of that listed price in cash...figure $2-$3 per person for breakfast & lunch; $3-$5 per person for dinner. If you elect to have your meals brought to your roomette, pay this amount to your sleeping car attendant in addition to whatever you choose to tip him for his regular services.

Tipping in the lounge car is optional; I generally don't tip for a straightforward purchase of soda or snacks but if you purchase alcohol (especially mixed drinks) or anything requiring more than minimal preparation a dollar or two in his tip jar is appreciated.

Your sleeping car attendant should receive a MINIMUM of $5 a night per room; $10 a night is recommended if he/she provides the expected minimum services of greeting you and explaining the onboard amenities; making up the beds in the evening (or [at your request] during the day should you wish to take a catnap) and then putting them back down in the morning; keeping ice, juice, bottled water and coffee available at the beverage station; keeping the restrooms and public areas reasonably clean; and just generally being available for assistance. However, if you should have the bad luck to draw one of the (fortunately) few attendants who disappears during the trip and lets passengers fend for themselves, then a zero tip accompanied by a letter of complaint to Amtrak customer service is appropriate.

Please note that the US Internal Revenue Service assumes that Amtrak on-board service employees will receive tips, and makes them pay taxes on those tips whether they receive them or not. So, if you "stiff" an employee, you are actually costing him money. So to make life more pleasant all around, plan to just play along.

In contrast to the on-board service employees (sleeping car & coach attendants, dining car staff, lounge attendant), the train operating employees (engineer, conductor, assistant conductor) are never tipped. Don't feel sorry for them—they are well paid.

Off the train, if you take a tour bus (not a regular city bus) then plan to tip the driver/guide $1-$2 per person. In a hotel, a tip of $3-$5 per night is greatly appreciated by the overworked and underpaid ladies who care for those rooms—check with the front desk on where to leave it so that the maid doesn't have to worry about being accused of stealing loose change (generally, on the pillow is a good spot).

Tipping in sit-down restaurants is de facto obligatory...the workers are paid below minimum wage with the expectation that tips will make up the difference. However, outside of restaurants (Starbucks [coffee], Baskin Robbins [ice cream], etc.), don't automatically assume that just because you see a tip jar you are obliged to fill it. Tipping should be a reward for superior customer service, not an unofficial tax on customers because employers are too cheap to pay their workers a decent wage.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your visit to the USA.

As to tipping in a hotel, I try to remember to take small envelopes with me & put the tip in those each day with something written on them to indicate its for the housekeeping staff.

All of your meal items have a menu price printed for coach passengers without prepaid meals. Just tip 15-20% of that listed price in cash...figure $2-$3 per person for breakfast & lunch; $3-$5 per person for dinner. If you elect to have your meals brought to your roomette, pay this amount to your sleeping car attendant in addition to whatever you choose to tip him for his regular services.

Your sleeping car attendant should receive a MINIMUM of $5 a night per room; $10 a night is recommended if he/she provides the expected minimum services of greeting you and explaining the onboard amenities; making up the beds in the evening (or [at your request] during the day should you wish to take a catnap) and then putting them back down in the morning; keeping ice, juice, bottled water and coffee available at the beverage station; keeping the restrooms and public areas reasonably clean; and just generally being available for assistance.

Tipping in sit-down restaurants is de facto obligatory...the workers are paid below minimum wage with the expectation that tips will make up the difference. However, outside of restaurants (Starbucks [coffee], Baskin Robbins [ice cream], etc.), don't automatically assume that just because you see a tip jar you are obliged to fill it. Tipping should be a reward for superior customer service, not an unofficial tax on customers because employers are too cheap to pay their workers a decent wage.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your visit to the USA.
G'Day Ehbowen, thanks for the explanation of tipping on Amtrak and elsewhere.

Apologies for editing your very comprehensive response but I know that long quotes are frowned upon on some other (non train) forums.

One further question, are the suggested tips for the Sleeping Car Attendant based on per person or per bedroom as obviously having to set up and remake 2 beds is more work than a single occupancy?

This forum is a great source of information and I am sure that we will enjoy our first Amtrak journey much more because of it :rolleyes: .

As to tipping in a hotel, I try to remember to take small envelopes with me & put the tip in those each day with something written on them to indicate its for the housekeeping staff.
G'Day AmtrakBlue, thanks for the "tip" (pun intended) :giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back