Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Liquors aboard Amtrak

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Shawn Ryu

Shawn Ryu

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  • Interests:trains baseball hockey

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:52 PM

So my birthday is coming soon and I want to go on Amtrak trip to DC. And no birthday is complete without some heavy drinking. Whats the de jure and de facto rule on alcohol on board NEC or Acela?

And what liquors do they sell?

#2 fairviewroad

fairviewroad

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,202 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:04 PM

So my birthday is coming soon and I want to go on Amtrak trip to DC. And no birthday is complete without some heavy drinking. Whats the de jure and de facto rule on alcohol on board NEC or Acela?

Amtrak does not allow you to consume "private stock" alcoholic beverages anywhere on its trains with the exception of sleeping compartments, which you presumably
will not have access to on your trip.

They are happy to sell it to you, however. Others can probably comment better than I can as to the specific selections available.

#3 OBS

OBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:55 PM

The liquors sold in the Acela cafe are Dewars, Jameson (sp) Irish whisky, Absolut, Beefeater,Jack,Beefeater, and Bacardi. The regionals will have similar choices with some minor deviations. As stated, bringing your own is "not allowed", but not enforced as long as discreet (sp).

Have a Happy Bday!

#4 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,252 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:12 PM

Since its your birthday, go Acela FC and revel in the free booze.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#5 OBS

OBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:15 PM

Since its your birthday, go Acela FC and revel in the free booze.

If that is the case, you will find top shelf versions of most of the choices I listed...

#6 EB_OBS

EB_OBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Interests:Family, PC games, outdoors, and working for Amtrak.

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:21 PM

As stated, bringing your own is "not allowed", but not enforced as long as discreet (sp).

Have a Happy Bday!

It is always enforced "when you get caught." Amtrak sells plenty of alcohol onboard its trains. The liquor is the better bang for your buck. The beer can average out to around $100/case however the mixed drinks are pretty on par with many bars at $6 or $7 per drink.

Don't get so drunk that you get stupid and end up put-off the train. Enjoy and Happy Birthday.

Edited by EB_OBS, 05 September 2012 - 07:22 PM.

#7 benjibear

benjibear

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:36 PM

I never understood why some people need to drink with everything they do.

#8 OBS

OBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:07 PM

As stated, bringing your own is "not allowed", but not enforced as long as discreet (sp).

Have a Happy Bday!

It is always enforced "when you get caught." Amtrak sells plenty of alcohol onboard its trains. The liquor is the better bang for your buck. The beer can average out to around $100/case however the mixed drinks are pretty on par with many bars at $6 or $7 per drink.

Don't get so drunk that you get stupid and end up put-off the train. Enjoy and Happy Birthday.

I should have qualified my answer in that it applies to the NEC which is where the OP references traveling, The rest of the system is much stricter in its adherence to this rule.

#9 roomette

roomette

Conductor

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:20 PM

I never understood why some people think the desire for a couple of pops on their birthday means they need to drink with EVERYTHING they do. :)

Edited by roomette, 05 September 2012 - 08:53 PM.

#10 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,779 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:23 PM

I seemed to have missed the part where the OP suggested everything he does involves liquor.

#11 amamba

amamba

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:12 AM

I agree with the suggestion to go acela FC. They have knob creek bourbon in the FC car - yum! They also have prosecco and another kind of sparkling wine, plus red and white wine.

The attendants will be more than happy to keep the alcohol flowing throughout the entire trip. I have even had attendants give me a half full bottle of wine when leaving the train in PVD to take with me, or letting me take an extra little bottle of liquor that they might have dropped off earlier but I didn't drink on the train. Just tip generously - some of them even remember me now (2250 and 2252) - and get me my bourbon right away. :)

You can easily get hammered on that routing. I have definitely stepped off the train a few times and been more than a little tipsy.

#12 Shawn Ryu

Shawn Ryu

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:29 AM

I never understood why some people think the desire for a couple of pops on their birthday means they need to drink with EVERYTHING they do. :)

Yea, come on now, I rarely drink during the day outside my house unless its during a sporting event.

Also I assume drinking too much will get me thrown off the train, :giggle: Moderation aboard Amtrak I guess.

Edited by Shawn Ryu, 06 September 2012 - 10:30 AM.

#13 Shortline

Shortline

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:53 AM

Wow, good deal, they actually have something drinkable in FC on Acela? Now if it was only available on other trains. (not to worry, I bring my own if I choose to imbibe) I prefer a nice Islay scotch (Laphroaig 18 YO is my preference), but can drink Knob Creek in a pinch. Most bourbons are a bit too sweet for me, but I'm developing a taste for them. Delta FC does offer Glenlivit but seem to be out of it a lot....so, I've taken to enjoying Woodford Reserve. It's not to bad.

I think the last Amtrak train I was on and bought liquor, only had Dewars for scotch, and Jim Beam (or something equally un-drinkable!) for bourbon. Learned my lesson, now I bring my own if I will be wanting a beverage.

Broadway Limited, Ann Rutledge, Misouri Mule, Misouri River Runner, San Diegan, Surfliner, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited, Crescent, Texas Eagle, Blue Water, Wolverine, Pennsylvanian, 3 Rivers, Hiawatha, Heartland Flyer, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Lake Shore Limited, Capitol Limited, Northeast Regional, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Downeaster, City of New Orleans, City of New Orleans via Pullan Rail Journeys.

#14 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,779 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:55 PM

Delta FC does offer Glenlivit but seem to be out of it a lot.

Does that refer to Glenlivet 12, 15, 18, 21, or XXV?

I think the last Amtrak train I was on and bought liquor, only had Dewars for scotch, and Jim Beam (or something equally un-drinkable!) for bourbon. Learned my lesson, now I bring my own if I will be wanting a beverage.

In my experience typical spirits include Canadian Club, Jack Danielís Black, Dewarís White, Absolut, Beefeater, and Bacardi. Not a single top-shelf option among them. But, as many have learned you can bring whatever you want so long as you know how to conduct yourself in the company of strangers. I enjoy drinking, but I do not enjoy giving drinkers a bad name, and I certainly don't want whats happening to smokers to happen to drinkers because we abused (or allowed others to abuse) our good fortune. Amtrak's rules are easy to understand but also miss the point entirely. The issue shouldn't be about where you bought your liquor from so much as how well you can handle yourself and how disruptive you are toward others.

In a previous era you could bring whatever you wanted aboard an aircraft and simply hand it over to the stewardess to pour. This allowed you to have the brand of your choice at a reasonable price while also allowing the airline to help prevent overindulgence. It was a responsible solution that was beneficial to all interested parties. Technically self-supplied liquor is still allowed by the FAA, but the airlines themselves would rather make it all about who does the selling than who does the actual drinking. Likewise, Amtrak will happily sell you more than enough to liquor to get completely plastered and even let you drink it whenever and wherever you please so long as you bought it from them.

#15 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,195 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:07 PM

Delta FC does offer Glenlivit but seem to be out of it a lot.

Does that refer to Glenlivet 12, 15, 18, 21, or XXV?

In my experience typical spirits include Canadian Club, Jack Daniel's Black, Dewar's White, Absolut, Beefeater, and Bacardi. Not a single top-shelf option among them. But, as many have learned you can bring whatever you want so long as you know how to conduct yourself in the company of strangers. I enjoy drinking, but I do not enjoy giving drinkers a bad name, and I certainly don't want whats happening to smokers to happen to drinkers because we abused (or allowed others to abuse) our good fortune. Amtrak's rules are easy to understand but also miss the point entirely. The issue shouldn't be about where you bought your liquor from so much as how well you can handle yourself and how disruptive you are toward others.

In a previous era you could bring whatever you wanted aboard an aircraft and simply hand it over to the stewardess to pour. This allowed you to have the brand of your choice at a reasonable price while also allowing the airline to help prevent overindulgence. It was a responsible solution that was beneficial to all interested parties. Technically self-supplied liquor is still allowed by the FAA, but the airlines themselves would rather make it all about who does the selling than who does the actual drinking. Likewise, Amtrak will happily sell you more than enough to liquor to get completely plastered and even let you drink it whenever and wherever you please so long as you bought it from them.

But, but, if my dad had provided his own on the airlines, he wouldn't have had a display case of all the little bottles he brought home from his trips. :o

#16 Shortline

Shortline

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:18 PM

Glenlivet 12. It's not bad, I can still enjoy it. It's not what I'd drink if I could bring my own on with me, but it's acceptable. I prefer an Islay Scotch, but a Speyside like Glenlivet isn't bad either-Glenlivet is just sort of the Budweiser of Scotch, it's gotten so big, I think the subtle quality of craft distilling is gone-but, at least it is available! While I tend to enjoy Scotch in the spring and summer, come fall/winter, I tend to switch to Bourbon or Rye. They're just....warming somehow. Though, to be fair, I don't drink all that much anyway, usually just when flying/travelling, or on a Fri/Sat night I like a drink or two- a bottle lasts a while-which is why I don't mind spending a little more for quality!

Edit to add-That said, you don't necessarily need to shell out big bucks for good Whisky (or, Whiskey if you prefer, or are Irish..) one of my favorites, is Bulleit Rye, (their Bourbon is nice too) and it's less than $30/bottle. Give it a try, great on the rocks, or in a Manhattan. Good sipping Whisky!

Edited by Shortline, 06 September 2012 - 03:27 PM.

Broadway Limited, Ann Rutledge, Misouri Mule, Misouri River Runner, San Diegan, Surfliner, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited, Crescent, Texas Eagle, Blue Water, Wolverine, Pennsylvanian, 3 Rivers, Hiawatha, Heartland Flyer, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Lake Shore Limited, Capitol Limited, Northeast Regional, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Downeaster, City of New Orleans, City of New Orleans via Pullan Rail Journeys.

#17 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,779 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:11 PM

Glenlivet 12. It's not bad, I can still enjoy it. It's not what I'd drink if I could bring my own on with me, but it's acceptable. I prefer an Islay Scotch, but a Speyside like Glenlivet isn't bad either-Glenlivet is just sort of the Budweiser of Scotch, it's gotten so big, I think the subtle quality of craft distilling is gone-but, at least it is available!

In my view there is a substantial difference between Glenlivet 12 and Glenlivet 21. I'm actually not much of a Scotch drinker these days, and much of what I've had in the past was from the blended side of the market, but I found Glenlivet 21 to be a good value for the money. I actually used to be a Johnnie Walker fan in the past. However, while JW Black may be perfectly passable and JW Blue may be immanently presentable they both seem to suffer from a status premium that exceeds their actual quality. With regard to Laphroaig my local chain doesn't seem to have the 18 year, only the 10, 11, and 25. Ten or eleven can be a little short for a Scotch and the $400+ bottle of 25 year is beyond my price range for a brand I've never tried. I'll keep the 18 year in mind though.

Edit to add-That said, you don't necessarily need to shell out big bucks for good Whisky (or, Whiskey if you prefer, or are Irish..) one of my favorites, is Bulleit Rye, (their Bourbon is nice too) and it's less than $30/bottle. Give it a try, great on the rocks, or in a Manhattan. Good sipping Whisky!

Never tried it but that's certainly a nice trial sized price.

#18 dart330

dart330

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:40 PM

I'll second the Bulleit Rye, it is very excellent, really smooth. My local store has it for $20 a 5th. If I run out of private stock on board I usually do a Beefeater & cranberry or a Jim Beam Black & Soda (or ginger ale). We usually take a black box of wine (3L) on our sleeper trips which very rarely gets emptied before our destination.

I'm going to have to try the Acela FC when we go visit Boston in the next year or two, sounds like a fun time.
Nathan

#19 Shawn Ryu

Shawn Ryu

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:48 PM

Wow, good deal, they actually have something drinkable in FC on Acela? Now if it was only available on other trains. (not to worry, I bring my own if I choose to imbibe) I prefer a nice Islay scotch (Laphroaig 18 YO is my preference), but can drink Knob Creek in a pinch. Most bourbons are a bit too sweet for me, but I'm developing a taste for them. Delta FC does offer Glenlivit but seem to be out of it a lot....so, I've taken to enjoying Woodford Reserve. It's not to bad.

Glad I am not the only one to not like Jim Beam.

I wish I could bring Captain Morgan aboard though. Order some coke and...

#20 TCRT

TCRT

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:Passenger rail, TCRT and MBTA transit history, and Milwaukee Road history

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:15 AM

I'll second the Bulleit Rye, it is very excellent, really smooth.

Thirded. My sentiments exactly, and very reasonably priced for the level of quality. This is what I usually get if I decide to go for something nicer than usual. [To the OP: I also enjoy Jim Beam, though I usually go for Evan Williams]

Back to Amtrak, if beer is your thing, the Downeaster has the best selection by far in my experience since they make a big deal about having Maine-brewed selections available.
Riding trains when I'm not in a basement aiming lasers, or at least visiting South Station when there's a break in the action.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users