48 replies to this topic

#1 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,595 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:24 AM

I just received an email from AGR announcing their Fall double points promotion.

Amtrak miles: 112,559; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion (1973), Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle (CHI-STL), Missouri River Runner, Acela Express (FC), Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, Northeast Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, Empire Service.   VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian (westbound), Ocean (eastbound/westbound).

#2 jimhudson

jimhudson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:49 AM

I just received an email from AGR announcing their Fall double points promotion.

:hi: Thanks Penny! :cool: I forsee lots of Point Run Reservations being made by AU Members! Book it, Danno!
"I'd Rather Be On a Train!"  All Aboard!!!

"There's Something About a Train!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

"What a Long,Strange Trip it's Been!"-  "Truckin'"-Grateful Dead

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#3 Afsheen

Afsheen

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

And for monthly pass riders, note that the promo starts Wednesday, September 5th, which is only the second normal business day of the month (assuming you have Labor Day off). If you have an alternate means of getting where you need to go on Tuesday the 4th and can wait to buy your pass on the 5th, then you can squeeze three monthly passes during the promo period, since it runs through November 16th.

#4 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,595 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:34 PM

September 5th... Great day.. My birthday.. Thanks for the Birthday Present Amtrak! :) Came just in the knick of time! I'm doing a Bday trip on the 6th. :)
These posts are my views and opinions.

Frequent Acela Express,Northeast Regional and Keystone Service rider.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

#5 amamba

amamba

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:12 PM

And for monthly pass riders, note that the promo starts Wednesday, September 5th, which is only the second normal business day of the month (assuming you have Labor Day off). If you have an alternate means of getting where you need to go on Tuesday the 4th and can wait to buy your pass on the 5th, then you can squeeze three monthly passes during the promo period, since it runs through November 16th.

Afsheen, it has been my experience with the monthly passes that the date always posts as the first of the month, no matter when the pass was bought.

Are you suggesting the if the pass is bought on the 5th that it will qualify for double points?

#6 Railroad Bill

Railroad Bill

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Historical and Genealogical research, Travel, Model Railroading. Lions Club & Anything Dealing With Trains

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:15 PM

Thanks Penny

We are leaving on the 5th on the Cap Ltd & CZ for our Yellowstone trip.

Great Timing on Amtrak's part...smile

Trains Ridden So Far:
Lake Shore Ltd, Capitol Ltd, Pennsylvanian, NE Corridors, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Hoosier, SW Chief, Surfliners, California Capitol Corridors, Coast Starlight, Cascades. Texas Eagle, San Joaquins, Missouri River Runner,Cardinal, Downeaster, Silver Meteor, Keystones, Auto Train, Adirondack, Lincoln Service, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Texas Eagle Detour Rt, Autumn Excursion Tour PHL, Silver Star,  -- 57,618  Amtrak miles & counting

#7 Afsheen

Afsheen

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:32 PM

Afsheen, it has been my experience with the monthly passes that the date always posts as the first of the month, no matter when the pass was bought.

Are you suggesting the if the pass is bought on the 5th that it will qualify for double points?

Oh, you know what, I hadn't ever checked, but you're right - all my monthly pass points post dated on 1st of the month. I'll try buying mine on the 5th this time around and see if it gets double points.

#8 winterskigirl

winterskigirl

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:30 PM

Excellent ! Joined AGR in May & love the points I'm already adding up over my summer travel. I got the email too :D

#9 Railroad Bill

Railroad Bill

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Historical and Genealogical research, Travel, Model Railroading. Lions Club & Anything Dealing With Trains

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:00 PM

Just as a clarification of the rules for this promotion. You may take only two 1-way trips each day to gain the double points.

Therefore; if we ride from CLE to CHI for one trip and ride the Hiawatha up to Glenview for another trip, we could not count the return trip from Glenview to Chicago for double points. :unsure:

I know the group has discussed this issue several times before when it comes up, but would like to hear it again-- I am old and my mind is not as sharp as it was yesterday :giggle: :giggle:

Trains Ridden So Far:
Lake Shore Ltd, Capitol Ltd, Pennsylvanian, NE Corridors, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Hoosier, SW Chief, Surfliners, California Capitol Corridors, Coast Starlight, Cascades. Texas Eagle, San Joaquins, Missouri River Runner,Cardinal, Downeaster, Silver Meteor, Keystones, Auto Train, Adirondack, Lincoln Service, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Texas Eagle Detour Rt, Autumn Excursion Tour PHL, Silver Star,  -- 57,618  Amtrak miles & counting

#10 fairviewroad

fairviewroad

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:03 PM

Just as a clarification of the rules for this promotion. You may take only two 1-way trips each day to gain the double points.

Therefore; if we ride from CLE to CHI for one trip and ride the Hiawatha up to Glenview for another trip, we could not count the return trip from Glenview to Chicago for double points. :unsure:

I know the group has discussed this issue several times before when it comes up, but would like to hear it again-- I am old and my mind is not as sharp as it was yesterday :giggle: :giggle:

You are correct, and it's important to point this out since the Email I received from Amtrak has this subject line:

Double points on all Amtrak travel this autumn
Granted, you can't expect them to cram all the fine print into the subject line of the email, but it's simply incorrect to say "All Amtrak Travel."

Edit to add: Actually, I see that it's not just the subject line of the email. The promotional material is full of references to "All Amtrak Travel."
Kind of misleading.

Edited by fairviewroad, 29 August 2012 - 04:05 PM.

#11 The Davy Crockett

The Davy Crockett

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,826 posts
  • Interests:The Rails, US History, The Great Outdoors, Good Food

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:26 PM

I agree it is misleading.

I can hear the lawyers now... "Well it is on all Amtrak travel... as long as you only take two one-way trips a day..." :wacko:

It reminds me of when I was growing up, and my parents who would say: "Do what you want." But, the unspoken part was: "As long as we would approve." :huh:
I wish I was a headlight on a northbound train.

#12 Anthony

Anthony

Founder

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:08 PM

It says that terms and conditions may apply. ;)

#13 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,595 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:33 PM

Kinda ruins the deal though. I always would do four one ways. To max out that Double Points. I guess they figured out a lot of people do that.
These posts are my views and opinions.

Frequent Acela Express,Northeast Regional and Keystone Service rider.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

#14 jimhudson

jimhudson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:08 PM

As they say in the NFL, "Upon further review", looking @ the Fine Print that limits Double Points to Two One Way or One Roundtrip a day sort of puts a damper on the old Promos that allowed up to Four trips a day! In the case of the Gathering, if we ride Amtrak from PHL-WIL, and upon returning to PHL via Septa want to take a turn on the Keystone only one of the Legs will count for Double Points! Same thing on the Return Home on the Penn and Cap Ltd. from PHL on Monday,, a morning Point Run on the Keystone Wouldn't Work because of the Two Legs getting Double Points later in the day! Bummer! :(

Edited by jimhudson, 29 August 2012 - 07:19 PM.

"I'd Rather Be On a Train!"  All Aboard!!!

"There's Something About a Train!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

"What a Long,Strange Trip it's Been!"-  "Truckin'"-Grateful Dead

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#15 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,525 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, Automobiles, Natural Beauty, Old and New Technology, Truth, Justice, and Transparency.

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:14 PM

Add me to the list of folks who don't think this promotion is worth the effort at this point.

Edited by Texas Sunset, 29 August 2012 - 06:24 PM.

Any views expressed are my own and do not represent the views of my employer, parent companies, partners, or subsidiaries.

Over 50,000 people just like you recently signed a petition to expand high speed passenger rail in the United States of America.

Long live The Coast Starlight, The California Zephyr, The Empire Builder, The Southwest Chief, and The Canadian.

#16 Anthony

Anthony

Founder

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:59 PM

The promo is well worth signing up for if you are traveling like a normal person, and not a railfan... Posted Image

#17 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,342 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:01 PM

I didn't get the email (for some reason), so thanks for letting me know about it!Posted Image And if someone did not notice, you need to register for the double points!Posted Image

And yes, I wish it were like prior years that allowed 4 one way trips per day. If I make a day trip to (say) ALB, I have to take 2 trains each way. However, on the return, I'd only earn 1x points?Posted Image I don't like that!Posted Image
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead!

#18 Railroad Bill

Railroad Bill

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:11 PM

But as my old daddy used to say. "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth" :giggle:

Trains Ridden So Far:

#19 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,595 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:21 PM

I didn't get the email (for some reason), so thanks for letting me know about it!Posted Image And if someone did not notice, you need to register for the double points!Posted Image

And yes, I wish it were like prior years that allowed 4 one way trips per day. If I make a day trip to (say) ALB, I have to take 2 trains each way. However, on the return, I'd only earn 1x points?Posted Image I don't like that!Posted Image

Dave, I guess you are not "normal" according to Anthony's definition - and I am. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
and.... if you believe that I am normal, I have a bridge to sell you. :giggle:

Amtrak miles: 112,559; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion (1973), Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle (CHI-STL), Missouri River Runner, Acela Express (FC), Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, Northeast Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, Empire Service.   VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian (westbound), Ocean (eastbound/westbound).

#20 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,342 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:29 PM

Sorry already bought it - 37 times! I'm a slow learner.Posted Image But I did sell it 26 times - and made a profit!Posted Image
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users