Does the Auto Train have outlets in Coach?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

freebird299

Traveling to Florida on the auto train for the first time. Are there outlets on board to recharge electronics? Also, I booked online and have my confirmation info printed out. Do I need to get there early and check in to get my tickets before boarding my car? Not sure what to expect. Appreciate any responses. Thanks.

Auto Train has special instructions for how early to arrive. Basically, you must be there by 3 pm or they may turn you away. If you want first choice for dinner reservations, arrive earlier.

Auto Train has special instructions for how early to arrive. Basically, you must be there by 3 pm or they may turn you away. If you want first choice for dinner reservations, arrive earlier.
Car Check-in begins at 11:30a (or, perhaps a little later if the train is late). And there are usually quite a few people there before then (including myself, since I start early to get to DC). :) If you do get there earlier than car check in time, you actually might be able to go to the ticket counter and do the "passenger" check in before the car check in begins. This way, you'll get the meal ticket of you choice (but there are only 3 choices anyway - 5p, 7p, 9p). Sometimes, if the train is not full, they might cancel the 9pm seating. If, for example, the snowbirds are going in the "other" direction. ^_^

As Trogdor stated, you must arrive prior to 3pm. If your car is "van" sized and you paid the extra fee for it, you must be there before 2pm. At 3pm (or very shortly thereafter), the "All aboard" is given, and the doors close, even though the scheduled departure is 4pm. This is to allow time for the stacking process (where the train and auto carrier cars are coupled with each other). It requires some train movement, and HEP may be lost for a bit. If the train is completely assembled before 4pm, it will depart early. In all my trips, it has.

HTH :hi:

Like everything Amtrak, they do things differently at Lorton than they do at Sanford. In Lorton the little booth where you check your car in will have an Auto Train ticket folder already prepared with a label with your name on it. You just drive up to the booth and provide your name, they assign you car a number and write that on the folder, and then direct you to a lane to turn over your car.

In Sanford you provide your name, they check a list of expected arrivals, write your name on a folder along with the number assigned to your car.

Either way, after you drop off the car, you proceed inside for the checkin. Again you just provide your name, show a photo ID, and then select your dinner time. They'll also assign you a seat & car number and write that in your folder.

No actual tickets will be printed or needed, unless you used AGR points for your reservation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back