Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Superliner Transition Sleeper

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Poll: Transition sleeper vs. standard sleeper

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

With a Superliner roomette, do you prefer traveling in a standard sleeper or in a transition sleeper car?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Skyline

Skyline

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:18 PM

I've been learning about the joys and perils of traveling as a passenger on cargo ships. There is a whole subculture around this, I've found, and several regular YouTubers with a lot of miles under their belts who take viewers along for their trips via video.

I'm actually thinking of doing a trip like this in the Mediterranean, and having ridden in a Superliner trans-dorm a couple times -- and being offered a vacant space normally used by crew back when "heritage" cars were still plentiful, I'm thinking those experiences might have been similar in some small way to travelling with the crew on cargo ships. Anyone have a thought on this?

#42 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:31 AM

Really, a trans-dorm roomette is indistinguishable from one in a regular Superliner sleeper. The main differences are that there are additional showers and restrooms on the upper level and that you need to get your coffee, etc. from the regular sleeper next door...most of the time. Also, you're closer to the engine (exhaust/whistle) noise. If you weren't already aware of the differences, you'd probably never notice them.

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#43 Wolverine72

Wolverine72

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:20 AM

I prefer the trans dorm for some of the reasons others don't. i'm not a high maintenance type, i'm told anyway, and don't mind the extra walk to the diner. The SCA was non-existent till bed turn down time. Perfect! The horn didn't bother me at all being a train fan. I assume this car is the last to fill up so i had few neighbors using facilities. East of Denver west bound i may have been the only occupant in the roomettes. The staff that was in the other end of car were never really evident as they were very quiet.

#44 Shortline

Shortline

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:15 AM

I've been learning about the joys and perils of traveling as a passenger on cargo ships. There is a whole subculture around this, I've found, and several regular YouTubers with a lot of miles under their belts who take viewers along for their trips via video.

I'm actually thinking of doing a trip like this in the Mediterranean, and having ridden in a Superliner trans-dorm a couple times -- and being offered a vacant space normally used by crew back when "heritage" cars were still plentiful, I'm thinking those experiences might have been similar in some small way to travelling with the crew on cargo ships. Anyone have a thought on this?

I have always wanted to do that. When I separated from the Air Force, in Germany, I booked my return to the US on a cargo ship out of Rotterdam to New York. Was really looking forward to it. But I got picked up by CSX and had a conductor class start date, that I had to make, so had to cancel, and fly to be sure to make the class, wasn't a lot of buffer, and as you know, ships can get rerouted to other ports en-route. One of these days......

Broadway Limited, Ann Rutledge, Misouri Mule, Misouri River Runner, San Diegan, Surfliner, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited, Crescent, Texas Eagle, Blue Water, Wolverine, Pennsylvanian, 3 Rivers, Hiawatha, Heartland Flyer, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Lake Shore Limited, Capitol Limited, Northeast Regional, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Downeaster, City of New Orleans, City of New Orleans via Pullan Rail Journeys.

#45 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:35 AM

Way less options for that than there used to be...Not gone completely, but the way the cargo business runs today, it is way less available, and more difficult to arrange.

#46 Skyline

Skyline

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:01 PM

Way less options for that than there used to be...Not gone completely, but the way the cargo business runs today, it is way less available, and more difficult to arrange.

I haven't done it. If you have, I'll defer to you, especially if comparing to some sort of "good old days." But there seems to still be a lot of people travelling by necessity AND/OR adventure via cargo ships. The guy in the YouTube has done it a lot with both good and bad experiences, even references a travel agency that can make arrangements. It's cheaper than traditional ocean cruising, but not dirt cheap by any means. 

Train travel via "Side Door Pullmans"--which I did just once in 1978 in Utah and California--now that is dirt cheap. And a lot more dangerous.

#47 chakk

chakk

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:56 PM

Are you referring to being a hobo in a freight car? If so, EXTREMELY dangerous.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Edited by chakk, 10 January 2018 - 06:57 PM.

#48 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:29 PM

Why are passengers being put in the crew car in the first place?

#49 RPC

RPC

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:04 PM

Why are passengers being put in the crew car in the first place?

Because it turned out the crew doesn't need eighteen roomettes. So the transition dorms got modified (and some were originally built) with another bath+shower; now they have eight roomettes plus two bath/shower combos for passengers. The remainder of the car (eight roomettes plus the downstairs) is for crew. (Not including the on-board chief's "apartment" at the end of the hall - I don't know who gets that now.)

#50 OBS

OBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:12 AM

The Chiefs apt. Is usually filled with junk...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users