Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Superliner Transition Sleeper

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Poll: Transition sleeper vs. standard sleeper

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

With a Superliner roomette, do you prefer traveling in a standard sleeper or in a transition sleeper car?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Guest_reggierail_*

Guest_reggierail_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:41 PM

I am in car 1440 room 20 on the Coast Starlight XXXXX. Wondering if I will be next to the last standard sleeper or on the other end of the train.

Edited by PRR 60, 31 August 2012 - 07:43 PM.
Removed date of travel for privacy.

#22 sambdking

sambdking

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:31 PM

1346460067[/url]' post='390951']
I am in car 1440 room 20 on the Coast Starlight XXXXX. Wondering if I will be next to the last standard sleeper or on the other end of the train.

You are in the transition car right behind the baggage car at the front of the train. You will have to walk through the three full sleepers to get to the PPC, Diner, and Lounge.

#23 reggie

reggie

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:17 PM

You are in the transition car right behind the baggage car at the front of the train. You will have to walk through the three full sleepers to get to the PPC, Diner, and Lounge.

So the sleepers are in the front of the train, cool. It's better than walking through the coaches, lounge and diner to get to the PPC.
Is there a beverage station, especially coffee in the car or will I have to go into the adjacent sleeper?

#24 AlanB

AlanB

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,373 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:48 AM

Most likely you'll have to walk to the next sleeper to get any beverages. Maybe if you get an exceptional attendant they'll setup some supplies in the dorm, but even then it would be unlikely to find coffee there.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#25 Big Green Chauvanist

Big Green Chauvanist

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:44 AM

A propos this discussion, do SCA's normally sleep in the transition dorm? On a superliner sleeper, is rommette #1 (which is reserved for the SCA) empty at night? I usually see them crammed with supplies, towels, boxes, etc.

#26 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,041 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:42 PM

A propos this discussion, do SCA's normally sleep in the transition dorm? On a superliner sleeper, is rommette #1 (which is reserved for the SCA) empty at night? I usually see them crammed with supplies, towels, boxes, etc.

Yes, Roomette #1 is always the assigned Room for SCAs on the Superliner Sleepers! Since Storage Space is at a Premium on Rail Cars, they have to store their supplies etc. wherever they can! Occasionaly, when there are empty Rooms you will see OBS in Bedroom A or the H or Family Room, but they dont sleep there, just use it for storage etc. Since the Call Board for the SCA is in Room #1 they Do Not Sleep in the Transdorm! All the other OBS do have their Roomettes (Nop Bedrooms in the transdorm) their, and the Conductors office is downstairs in the Staff "Lounge", but most Conductors hang out in the Cafe/Lounge or the Diner Car!!

Edited by jimhudson, 02 September 2012 - 12:43 PM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#27 LDKarr

LDKarr

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Travel, graphic and web design, playing outdoors, working on home projects (indoors and out).

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:24 PM

I am heading to south Texas (via the Texas Eagle) to visit family over Christmas.  This will be my first time in the Transition Sleeper.  After reading all of the pros and cons on here, I am looking forward to it -- something new and different!

Loren

Home Station: Osceola, Iowa (Served by the California Zephyr)

Routes Traveled:  California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Crescent, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle

Favorite Route: Texas Eagle (It's my connection to family living near Corpus Christi.)

#28 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,041 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:41 AM

I've been on the Eagle Transdorm many times, never had a bad trip yet!
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#29 tonys96

tonys96

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 08:44 AM

I've been on the Eagle Transdorm many times, never had a bad trip yet!

Agreed

The worst part of censorship is XXXXXXXXXXX.

When you mute or alter a man's voice, you are not proving him wrong or a liar, you are only telling the world that you fear what he has to say.

#30 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,996 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 29 November 2014 - 11:43 PM

I too am self-sufficient, as far as operating my bed, retrieving coffee, etc.

My main concern with having no 'resident' attendant occupying a room within the transdorm, would be maintaining cleanliness in the public restrooms.   Sure, it's someone's job....but....if the attendant has to come over from another car, I wonder just how much attention it would get....

I haven't ridden in one, but still I wonder....

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#31 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,041 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 04:00 PM

My main concern with having no 'resident' attendant occupying a room within the transdorm, would be maintaining cleanliness in the public restrooms.   Sure, it's someone's job....but....if the attendant has to come over from another car, I wonder just how much attention it would get....

Since the crew also uses the 2-3 restrooms and showers in the Transdorm they are generally kept cleaner than the ones in the Revenue Cars!

#32 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,996 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:17 PM

Since the crew also uses the 2-3 restrooms and showers in the Transdorm they are generally kept cleaner than the ones in the Revenue Cars!

Glad to hear that.......

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#33 Guest_dave_*

Guest_dave_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:20 PM

Anyone traveling. Soon

#34 NW cannonball

NW cannonball

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts
  • Interests:People and places
    Justice
    Transport economics
    Techie stuff
    Grandchildren

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:21 AM

My last sleeper journey was in May on the SWC - in the transdorm.
Didn't use the shower.
SCA treated me like a noob, offered help I didn't need, and was really good and heard my needs.
Very good service.
Very good transport.
Trains experienced:
AMTRAK - Empire Builder, SW Chief, Coast Starlight, Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal, Capital Limited, NER, Silver Star, Pacific Surfliner, Cascades; Great Northern - Winnipegger, Red River, Empire Builder.
NYC - Pacemaker; Commuter lines - NM RailRunner, Metra, Northstar
outside USA - NS, DB, ÖBB, JR (Tokaido & Sanyo shinkansen, JRE (Tokyo area), JR Shikoku

#35 GG-1

GG-1

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,113 posts
  • Interests:PRR GG1 and riding the rails to "see the USA in your Chev".....Train

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:15 AM

Aloha

Just realized a third choice, I do not care about which sleeper I am in because I am on a train going somewhere.

GG-1, Aloha, Mahalo = Thanks
http://gg-1.smugmug.com/'>Picture Galleries

Posted Image

#36 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,791 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 07:11 AM

Personally I have no problem with the Transition Sleeper myself. The issues I and other folks have experienced from time to time are almost entirely due to lack of staff effort and are not related to the car itself.

#37 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:07 AM

Have not seen any issues that couldn't occur in either car (SCA inattentive, room problems), and the rooms are all upstairs, so I don't care which car I am in.

#38 LookingGlassTie

LookingGlassTie

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:11 PM

If I ever end up riding on a Superliner train, would getting me a roomette in the transdorm be something that only an Amtrak agent can do?

"And you know that notion just crossed my mind............"

#39 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:09 PM

If I ever end up riding on a Superliner train, would getting me a roomette in the transdorm be something that only an Amtrak agent can do?

Booking a specific room or a specific car is something that only an agent can do.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Amtrak Forum mobile app

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#40 LookingGlassTie

LookingGlassTie

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:10 PM

Booking a specific room or a specific car is something that only an agent can do.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Amtrak Forum mobile app

Thought so, thanks!

"And you know that notion just crossed my mind............"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users