Superliner Transition Sleeper

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

With a Superliner roomette, do you prefer traveling in a standard sleeper or in a transition sleeper

• Total voters
Hi All,

I couldn't quite find a clear answer on this. I am booked on the CZ EMY-DEN next month, and in order to get roomettes with some friends across the hallway from each other, the CS agent helping me said only the Transition Sleeper was available. I've seen this car and know of its existence, but I actually thought it was only for crew use until poking around this forum. So far, I've seen these differences listed:

1. No coffee/beverage station, so you have to go to the next car to use one (no big deal)

2. Minimal or no sleeping car attendant attention, as the one assigned is usually focused on his/her assigned standard sleeping car.

3. A little quieter due to less passenger traffic passing by your room.

4. A little more noise during crew rush hours (early am, etc).

Anything else I can look forward to? Is it worth trying to change back to a standard sleeper?

Thanks.

FYI, on the CZ, your will be the first passenger car followed by the coaches. All the other sleepers will be on the rear. Not sure who will be your attendant. Perhaps the coach attendant for the next car? Either way, there will not be beverages in the next car.

I have only ridden once in the trans-sleeper. Crew noise was never an issue.

Some (most?) of the transition sleepers have a shower upstairs. Might be interesting to try that just for something different.

I'm pretty self sufficient, and frankly don't care if there IS a car attendant, so that's not a concern to me. The biggest downside I could see, is the car is on the head end.....meaning louder due to being closer to the horn-Some don't find it a problem, but me, I like to be as far away from the pointy end as possible!

Just traveled in transition sleeper EMY to Chicago. I thought it compared well to regular sleeper. There was a coffee station plus plenty of bottled water, ice, candy bars. Attendant from adjacent coach car was sleeper car attendant; I did not notice any drop-off in service. There was an upstairs shower, but attendant advised against using it. Only downside I can see was a seemingly longer walk to lounge and diner (3 coach cars); this was no issue for me, but might be for some.

On the Texas Eagle, I've been in the transition sleeper twice. Sandwiched between the sole engine and the coaches, our attendant worked the coach too i believe, he had juice and ice in a bucket and other sleeper amenities in a room available for anyone. Traffic was never a problem and horn noise either. Shower upstairs was reserved for crew though, no big deal.

Shower upstairs was reserved for crew though, no big deal.
Interesting. Last time I was on the SWC I had a roomette near the end of the car away from the bedrooms and the Transition Sleeper was the next car. So, a very short walk for me to that car if I wanted to go. And, I did as the SCA mentioned to me that the shower in the Transition was a nicer one than the lower level ones in our car. He said I could use it if I wanted to and it would be closer and easier to get to when I needed it. So I did - he was right, a much better experience than downstairs.

I thought the upstairs shower in the Transition was for paying passengers who were assigned a room in that car and that the crew had their own showers downstairs. Maybe that varies from train to train?

There was an upstairs shower, but attendant advised against using it.
Did he say why you shouldn't use it?
She said the upstairs shower did not drain well and was prone to overflow. It was not a crew only shower. There was another one toward the back that had a "crew only" sign on it.

The lower level shower seemed to be much more roomy anyway, so I didn't mind.

I've been in both and the only real difference I noticed was the horn got a bit annoying at night.

There are two different transition sleeper configurations. One has two showers upstairs and one downstairs, and the other has none upstairs and either two or three downstairs.

I generally prefer the downstairs one because it has more room, and is actually much easier to put your clothes on the step where the towels generally sit vs. the fold-down table above the toilet.

Thanks everyone for your comments. It looks like it's worth keeping those rooms and trying something different. I'm really looking forward to my next Amtrak adventure!

I do prefer the regular Sleepers for reasons that others have mentioned plus the fact that I don't really like the superliner IIs. Then again, there are full Superliner II Sleepers as well, but at least I get a chance.

It also feels different being in a lonely edge of the train. Horn noise has never been a problem.

I'm in Roomette 18 for an upcoming trip on the City of New Orleans. Am I right that it's in the transition sleeper?

The biggest problem with the Transdorm is that sometimes, you can get "forgotten" by your SCA. It's happened to me before (one time on the Eagle, I had to get a couple to help me with my bunk), so that's always a risk. Other than that, though, it's not too bad.

I've had a great experience on the EB from MSP to ESX in the transition sleeper, with excellent service from the SCA.

On the other hand, I've had a horrible experience on the SWC from KCY to LAX when we didn't see the SCA the entire time and I had to help elderly passengers make their beds. This was the only time I have not sought out the SCA to present a tip.

I once had a roomette in the transition sleeper. I can't remember which train, or anything else remarkable about it. So I guess it was fine!

I'm on the SL right now and am in room 18 of the transition sleeper. Been on for about 45 min now and have only seen the conductor. Hopefully someone will turn down my bed soon! Will keep y'all posted. Traveling thru to NO.

I like the transition sleeper. I like the combination bathroom and shower.

I like that there are fewer people walking through the car. I can put my

own bed down and up and can walk to the next car if I want water or coffee.

I have been in the transition car on the Texas Eagle on two occasions, both

were fine.

Just rode in the Transdorm on #21/#421 from CHI-AUS, Room #22! It was great thanks to the SCA (Gene) who also had the Coach benhind us! He set up a Coffee and Jice/Ice/Water Bar in the old Conductors office and we had Three Showers/Bathrooms and 3 additional Bathrooms to use! There were 8 Revenue Pax in our Part of the Car and inaddition to the Crew, two Retired Amtrak Employees and a Current TE Conductor were riding!He was always checking with us, did our beds to request, kept the car immaculate! One of my best trips on the old Eagle, Amtrak will hear from me! :cool: Of course, YMMV!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in car 1440 room 20 on the Coast Starlight XXXXX. Wondering if I will be next to the last standard sleeper or on the other end of the train.

Last edited:
reggierail said:
1346460067[/url]' post='390951']I am in car 1440 room 20 on the Coast Starlight XXXXX. Wondering if I will be next to the last standard sleeper or on the other end of the train.
You are in the transition car right behind the baggage car at the front of the train. You will have to walk through the three full sleepers to get to the PPC, Diner, and Lounge.

I am in car 1440 room 20 on the Coast Starlight XXXXX. Wondering if I will be next to the last standard sleeper or on the other end of the train.
You are in the transition car right behind the baggage car at the front of the train. You will have to walk through the three full sleepers to get to the PPC, Diner, and Lounge.

So the sleepers are in the front of the train, cool. It's better than walking through the coaches, lounge and diner to get to the PPC.

Is there a beverage station, especially coffee in the car or will I have to go into the adjacent sleeper?

Most likely you'll have to walk to the next sleeper to get any beverages. Maybe if you get an exceptional attendant they'll setup some supplies in the dorm, but even then it would be unlikely to find coffee there.

A propos this discussion, do SCA's normally sleep in the transition dorm? On a superliner sleeper, is rommette #1 (which is reserved for the SCA) empty at night? I usually see them crammed with supplies, towels, boxes, etc.

Back