South Bend Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rile42

Lead Service Attendant
A year or so ago, I traveled to Boston on the Lake Shore Limited from Cleveland on a Saturday after a Notre Dame/Boston College game at Notre Dame. Since then, I have contemplated traveling to a Notre Dame game via the LSL or the CL from Cleveland. However, I don't know enough about the South Bend station except it appears to be isolated and several miles from ND. Has anyone ever used the LSL or the CL like I'd like to for a ND game? If so, how did you get between the station to the university both before the game and after the game?

A year or so ago, I traveled to Boston on the Lake Shore Limited from Cleveland on a Saturday after a Notre Dame/Boston College game at Notre Dame. Since then, I have contemplated traveling to a Notre Dame game via the LSL or the CL from Cleveland. However, I don't know enough about the South Bend station except it appears to be isolated and several miles from ND. Has anyone ever used the LSL or the CL like I'd like to for a ND game? If so, how did you get between the station to the university both before the game and after the game?
You might want to try contacting the Notre Dame Alumni Assoc., or Football fans clubs, etc. and see if shuttle transportation to/from the campus is offered. I know my univ. did that for our games from local train stops in the town. I have traveled on the LSL, but I don't recall the campus being *that* near to the station. Failing that, there should be taxi service.

Amtrak station in South Bend is in an isolated area not anywhere near Notre Dame. A cab either to Notre Dame itself or the airport (to catch a local bus) would probably be the best idea. On football game days, the South Shore runs special trains which unload near the Amtrak station (which used to be the South Shore station), not at the airport station, to transfer passengers to shuttle buses. I'm not sure how the ticket situation works with these buses. If it's a separate fare then you could pay that and ride the bus, If it's a combo fare, it might be more difficult to board the bus. You should probably contact Notre Dame or the Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District to see how these transfers work. Of course the shuttle buses connect with the South Shore trains and would probably mean a long time sitting in the Amtrak waiting room with no place to easily walk to.

Amtrak station in South Bend is in an isolated area not anywhere near Notre Dame. A cab either to Notre Dame itself or the airport (to catch a local bus) would probably be the best idea. On football game days, the South Shore runs special trains which unload near the Amtrak station (which used to be the South Shore station), not at the airport station, to transfer passengers to shuttle buses. I'm not sure how the ticket situation works with these buses. If it's a separate fare then you could pay that and ride the bus, If it's a combo fare, it might be more difficult to board the bus. You should probably contact Notre Dame or the Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District to see how these transfers work. Of course the shuttle buses connect with the South Shore trains and would probably mean a long time sitting in the Amtrak waiting room with no place to easily walk to.
Or, take the train into Chicago and then the South Shore from there to South Bend with all the other fans.

If you are there on a day other than Sunday and feel particularly adventurous you could walk two big blocks from the station to the corner of Linden and Olive and catch a TRANSPO Rt 4 bus to South St. Transit Center and change there to a Rt. 7 or 7a to get to Notre Dame.

More info at http://www.sbtranspo.com/routes.htm

On football game days, the South Shore runs special trains which unload near the Amtrak station (which used to be the South Shore station), not at the airport station, to transfer passengers to shuttle buses.
The South Shore Line's website indicates they will be using the regular airport station for Notre Dame connections.

SOUTH SHORE SERVICE TO NOTRE DAME HOME FOOTBALL GAMES
The South Shore is a great way to get to South Bend for Notre Dame home football games. The South Shore will drop you off at the South Bend Airport where you may board a Free Enterprise Game Day shuttle bus to Notre Dame Stadium. The shuttle bus fare from the Airport to the Stadium is $10 one way or $15 round trip. Free Enterprise representatives will be on select regularly scheduled South Shore eastbound trains on game day selling shuttle bus tickets. When you arrive in South Bend please board a Free Enterprise bus.

Last edited by a moderator:
On football game days, the South Shore runs special trains which unload near the Amtrak station (which used to be the South Shore station), not at the airport station, to transfer passengers to shuttle buses.
The South Shore Line's website indicates they will be using the regular airport station for Notre Dame connections.

SOUTH SHORE SERVICE TO NOTRE DAME HOME FOOTBALL GAMES
The South Shore is a great way to get to South Bend for Notre Dame home football games. The South Shore will drop you off at the South Bend Airport where you may board a Free Enterprise Game Day shuttle bus to Notre Dame Stadium. The shuttle bus fare from the Airport to the Stadium is $10 one way or $15 round trip. Free Enterprise representatives will be on select regularly scheduled South Shore eastbound trains on game day selling shuttle bus tickets. When you arrive in South Bend please board a Free Enterprise bus.
Well, that's a change in operations. I thought the reason they used the off-station location was because the platform at the airport will only accommodate about three cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back