eTickets and Gate Agents Don't Agree

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SubwayNut

Conductor
I realize we already have a nice, long thread about eTickets but over the passed three days going from Chicago to Washington on #30 Sunday Night and up to New York this afternoon on #176 (had the CL not been delayed I woud have had 23.5 hours in DC the longest layover for Amtrak to consider for a continuos trip costing just $87) I realized Amtrak needs a clear posted policy for what kind of boarding documentation is required at a station with gate agents, or ideally give them their own iPhones for confirming eTickets. I made a point of using the Amtrak app on my iPhone exclusively on this trip, which I witnessed the conductor can scan the QR code on faster than with the regularly printed electronic ticket documents. There is still a bug in the app that means soon after your first segment departs (and you don't have any other upcoming reservations) you have to click a grey button saying No Active Trips (without a > sign telling you there is another screen) to access your reservation. The app also never bothered to update the departure times for the delayed Capital Limited on the first screen, only updating them on the second (after clicking View) where the eTicket and QR code appears. They also never notified me (I think my notification was stopping at a QuikTrak machine on Wednesday to pick up the electronic boarding document just to confirm the itinerary was eTicket eligible) about the schedule change and I called the Select number (I recently qualified as a member think I'll reach S+ by the end of the year) Sunday morning just to confirm (with an apology from the agent saying I should have been informed).

The Gate Agents though were another story:

Boarding in Chicago: I boarding around 7:00 after the regular line was gone (the lounge, my least favorite place on Amtrak, nearly empty) and the friendly agent saw immediately that I was on train 30 and asked to see the QR code to confirm I had an eTicket

Boarding in DC: This was a real annoyance, the gate agent screamed at me "I need to see the number for 176" and I held up the long line of an already late train (we left 5 minutes late, arrived in NYP 5 minutes early) for about 30 seconds while I scrolled my iPhone to finally put my finger under 176 to prove I was on it.. (We left from one of the lower level platforms since this is the Lynchburger and I wonder what the response would have been if I had decided to use the one staircase in the VRE gate area instead which looks public with a sign for the track, where I left the platform from the Capital Limited yesterday. In NYP I generally avoid gate agents by boarding at other entrances, and I have a friend who takes the train to Rhode Island all the time and tells me he hasn't showed his ticket to a gate agent in years just by using the lower-level corridor.)

What I witnessed while assembling my Bicycle in a corner of New York-Penn Station (which had been sent via the Lake Shore and arrived the day before): Today's #49 was boarding and as they made the All Aboard, Last Call announcement, I overheard a lady screaming that she had a ticket on the train and was told by customer service (I assume had changed her reservation over the phone) that the barcode was all she needed and she didn't need a new ticket and needed to get to Seattle. Se became understandably quite irate being prevented from boarding. Eventually 3 gate agents (with an Amtrak Cop standing by) surrounded her to prevent her from going down the escalator at 5-East and they led her away to I think the ticket windows on the opposite end of the concourse. #49 did leave ten minutes late today so perhaps they scanned her ticket and did find out she had just changed her reservation and she just made the train.

As a witness to this event the passenger did have an electronic ticket on #49 today and was told according to Amtrak's new policy she could use her old one (over the phone when she changed her ticket) to board her train. This fact is something Amtrak has made a big deal over is that you can still use your old eTicket if you change your itinerary, and the phone agents have clearly been told to tell passengers this. They need to be told that is true except in stations with gate agents: WAS, PHL, NYP, ALB, CHI, STL, KCY (any of the Boston's?, Baltimore?) are the ones that immediately come to mind you need written or electronic screen proof of a reservation. What would be the full list of stations with gate agents?

Amtrak ideally needs to abolish gate agents (I personally wish every major station was like LAX) or if they insist on keeping them have iPhones available for passengers like this or (and the least friendly passenger option) is to have all phone agents trained, the policy clearly posted in the effective stations, and the actual stations with the gate agents listed under important information on the e-mail confirmations for eTickets that presently only says: "Your latest eTicket shows the services you have reserved. If you changed your reservation but did not reprint the eTicket, it will not reflect your current itinerary. At some stations, a gate agent may need to view your current itinerary. You can obtain an updated copy of your eTicket at Quik-Trak or a ticket office, or you can reprint it at home."

For the curious I will add that I didn't try and check my bike in the bowels of Union Station with just the Amtrak app (didn't have an eMail to show with the full itinerary on one screen since I booked the reservation before it was eTicket eligible). Bikes aren't handeld at the ticket window there, an Amtrak employee must let you down to the basement baggage level where you disassemble your bike in a corner avoiding the electric baggage carts and pay and get it tagged by who I believe is the manager of baggage services. I did have an extremely mangled electronic travel document which I showed him. In DC 10 minutes before I boarded I scanned my AGR Select card to see what would happen and got an eTicket document only listing #176 and not the trip on #30 that I had already taken (they can only list two segments per eTicket I believe).

Last edited by a moderator:
Every last one of those gate agents needs to be fired.

If the gate agents aren't handling e-Tickets properly, they are violating Amtrak's published policies. Why does Amtrak employ people who refuse to follow Amtrak's policies? Answer: it hasn't fired them yet.

Every single one of those gate agents needs to be reported to Amtrak, by name, with the date and time of the event.

I agree with you: gate agents should be abolished entirely. But it's OK to have them as long as they aren't *violating Amtrak's published policies* in order to *prevent ticketed passengers from boarding*. That is completely unacceptable and Joe Boardman would probably like to hear about it.

I'm sensing some teething problems...and very much wishing that a "standard" ticket was still an option in many cases, if just to avoid headaches like these. While I understand the overhaul to the vouchers...remind me why they needed to change things around so much?

Gate agents are a significant cost saving opportunity IMHO :) They appear to serve a relatively marginal purpose and are one of the worst offenders in making up their own random policies on the fly.

But in general anyone that has a need to check the actual itinerary should be equipped with a QR/bar code reader, or they should stop harassing their customers if they are unable to read the code due to their own ill equippedness.

Amtrak cannot have it both ways wherein they say that you don't need anything other than the code on the one hand, and then turn around and say well sometimes you do need something else.

My guess is that although Conductor's had 2-3 months to practice with their scanners, and familiarize themselves with the e-ticket policy, Gate agents and redcaps probably had 5 minutes of training, and/or were handed a several page memo the day before implementation and told to "read this"...

My guess is that although Conductor's had 2-3 months to practice with their scanners, and familiarize themselves with the e-ticket policy, Gate agents and redcaps probably had 5 minutes of training, and/or were handed a several page memo the day before implementation and told to "read this"...
Yep. Looks like deployment planning may have left a few holes unfilled. :)

BTW, I have not seen the Amtrak document that describes duties of various roles. What exactly are the duties of a gate agent?

BTW, I have not seen the Amtrak document that describes duties of various roles. What exactly are the duties of a gate agent?
Power trippers. :ph34r: I CONTROL who can and cannot access the trains. :p

It seems to me that they should be more like ushers who are there to offer help to anyone that requests such, and leave the rest alone, instead of behaving more like bouncers. Customer Service should be their primary objective not Customer Control.

It seems to me that they should be more like ushers who are there to offer help to anyone that requests such, and leave the rest alone, instead of behaving more like bouncers. Customer Service should be their primary objective not Customer Control.
Actually I haven't had or seen any problems with my few trips at WAS on the regionals. My only LD trip was in sleepers, so I used the FC lounges on that trip.

I agree that they should not be bouncers but helpers/crowd controlers (just their presence should make MOST people behave themselves and not rush the gate).

Amtrak needs to initiate European=style free access to platforms. It would save costs significantly. Amtrak is the most controlled railroad in the world: no other railroad requires photo ID for all tickets, makes all trains reserved, and limits access to platforms in such a way.

Amtrak needs to initiate European=style free access to platforms. It would save costs significantly. Amtrak is the most controlled railroad in the world: no other railroad requires photo ID for all tickets, makes all trains reserved, and limits access to platforms in such a way.
Not all Amtrak trains are reserved either. The Pacific Surfliners aren't, nor are the Hiawathas.

I do agree with you - to an extent. There is no access to the platforms for non-passengers in CHi, WAS, PHL, NYP or BOS. (There may be a few more.) However at most Amtrak stations, there is free access to the platforms.

I do agree with you - to an extent. There is no access to the platforms for non-passengers in CHi, WAS, PHL, NYP or BOS. (There may be a few more.) However at most Amtrak stations, there is free access to the platforms.

You miss the forest for the trees. Of course not every Amtrak train is reserved, but practically all of them are. Of course not every platform access is restricted, but in the busiest stations--and you can add several more to your list like ALB and STL--access is restricted, and that slows boarding down and raises costs. Compare any major European station and the easy flow back and forth from trains to the station. And my other points--required ID to buy tickets, showing IDs on trains, etc.--still stand and demonstrate my original thesis: Amtrak is the most controlled railroad in the world, and this drives up costs and slows down trains.

Actually I haven't had or seen any problems with my few trips at WAS on the regionals. My only LD trip was in sleepers, so I used the FC lounges on that trip. I agree that they should not be bouncers but helpers/crowd controlers (just their presence should make MOST people behave themselves and not rush the gate).
Whenever I've seen paying passengers "rush the gate" it seemed as though it was due to Amtrak preventing them from boarding until just before departure, either by withholding departure information or by physically preventing access to the platform. At which point the passengers were understandably anxious to get aboard as soon as possible in order to avoid being left behind. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post?

In my experience VIA's Canadian train was handled with the same boarding/bouncing process as Amtrak routinely employs. Those are the only two passenger railways I'm aware of that treat their paying passengers like clueless children who cannot be trusted anywhere near the tracks. Unless you have a camera with you, in which case you will have suddenly graduated from an ignorant child to a terroristic genius.

That depends on the situation. For instance, at SAS you could say there is "free access" to the platform in the sense that it is not sufficiently enclosed to prevent you from approaching the train if you're bound and determined to reach it. However, if you're looking to board early, such as during the period immediately prior to fifteen minutes before departure of the northbound Texas Eagle, you will be "bounced" by the staff and sent back to the line again. No exceptions for anyone, including sleeper passengers. More fences and other barriers are being added to more and more stations as we speak. Even tiny unstaffed stations like Alpine Texas.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of this "out of control" gate agent procedures have blossomed due to the post 9/11 security era, ie you "must have a ticket to board", It "must be for this train", you "must have suitable ID", you "Must stay away from trains and platforms", because they are being kept "safe and secure"... etc.

I had a rather odd gate agent experience a couple days. I was booked on Northeast Regional 66 from NYP to BBY but for whatever reason the gate agent directed myself and few other passengers booked on 66 to the 132 that had arrived some 6 hours late. This was even after checking our ticket, and I was already a bit concerned and asked if this was indeed train 66 she looked mad and barked at me "train 66 on track 12 didnt I just say that mister". Then to compound issues we had an extra-board crew that never scanned my ticket.

I had a rather odd gate agent experience a couple days. I was booked on Northeast Regional 66 from NYP to BBY but for whatever reason the gate agent directed myself and few other passengers booked on 66 to the 132 that had arrived some 6 hours late. This was even after checking our ticket, and I was already a bit concerned and asked if this was indeed train 66 she looked mad and barked at me "train 66 on track 12 didnt I just say that mister". Then to compound issues we had an extra-board crew that never scanned my ticket.
There is a reason that I never ever use a gate with a gate agent in NYP :)

Amtrak is the most controlled railroad in the world: no other railroad requires photo ID for all tickets,

Isn't the ID thing a TSA requirement, meaning Amtrak can't do anything about it? Or was it in place before the TSA got their hooks into everything?
Yes, it began after 9-11 for all tickets. In the old days, you only showed it if paying with credit card, and even then some ticket agents didn't bother. That used to drive the Border Patrol nuts in California because so many undocumented individuals bought train tickets to circumvent checkpoints away from the border.

Dude, that's just ignorant. Japan Railway and even 2nd and 3rd tier railway systems in Japan are gated. You buy a ticket, put it in an electronic ticket wicket, and go out to the platform. They did away with probably 95% of gate agents back in the 90's. There are a few rural stations where there is no ticket wicket OR gate agent. You freely board the train and produce or buy a ticket to the conductor on board. That's the exception, though.

Try to get on the bullet train in Japan. At Tokyo Station, you have to have a general railfare ticket just to get into the main platform boarding areas for local trains. To get to the Shinkansen, you have to go through a SECOND gate with a SECOND ticket to get to those platforms.

They have "Green Windows" where at just about ever entry area there is a manned booth where one can verify itineraries, buy reserved seat tickets (real seat reservations), make payments, ask questions, etc.

It's the most efficient and customer friendly system in the World. Amtrak needs to send execs over there to experience it and stop saying "That won't work here".

The good thing about those gate wickets in Japan is that they do not make nasty remarks and stop you from going through just because the train is not due to depart within the next 10 minutes. :lol: You can pretty much go through them and go to the platform whenever you please.

I think it is the arbitrary random variable rules of their own making that the human gate agents contribute which is mostly a negative contribution in many senses IMHO. If they just started behaving like inanimate gate wickets it would be a huge improvement. And then the obvious next step would be to save the money spent on them. :lol:

Then we can introduce real knowledgeable customer service agents who can actually help customers that need help rather than hinder everyone who does not need help. And that would already get us closer to the way the Japanese provide excellent travel experience.

Can you imagine Amtrak's staff trying to run Japan's passenger rail systems? I can't even begin to wrap my head around such a concept. On the other hand I'd be very curious to see how JRX would run Amtrak if they were ever given the opportunity.

Can you imagine Amtrak's staff trying to run Japan's passenger rail systems? I can't even begin to wrap my head around such a concept. On the other hand I'd be very curious to see how JRX would run Amtrak if they were ever given the opportunity.
Actually, the various Japan railway employees cut a lot of slack for tourists.

For local residents - if you don't have the right ticket or are at the wrong gate - you wil be told very politely to get your act together and stop bothering us rail employees with your ignorance or go home to (very bad suburb where you belong)

If you ever go to Japan - the JR roads do not tolerate idiots with - for example oversized baggage - no idea where to change trains - tourists get cut slack, but locals who don't know how to ride ( they do cut Slack for elders) the Japan railway employees will insult and refuse service to anyone who has obviously not done their homework.

Similarly in Europe. a rough quote " so you don't know what train you want -- read the book and don't bother me"

That's been my experience anyhow - I unfortuneatly have a knack for local accent so the locals cuss me as if I knew what they say.

That's been my experience anyhow - I unfortuneatly have a knack for local accent so the locals cuss me as if I knew what they say.
I can appreciate that. I have the same problem, specially when the locals decide that they can rattle off at full speed in their local dialect at me just because I got the soft sounds and accents right in a carefully rehearsed single phrase to start the conversation. My favorite line in France for example, usually the second phrase that I utter in a conversation, roughly translated says "Please speak a little slowly" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back