Insurance Cost for Private Cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

CJ Mitchell

Does anyone know what the insurance would cost on a private, individual owned car? Or rather, how much insurance does Amtrak Require to move a private car? I currently live in Georgia, but it seems much more affordable and interesting to live in a railcar because I have a history with railroad. I'd probably be buying a caboose or Pullman to remodel. The car will be moved on the east coast from Atlanta to New York, or From Florence, SC to Atlanta or anywhere on the east coast really. I am looking at this page: http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/271/180/Private_Car_Tariff.pdf and it says that "Workers Compensation Insurance complying with the statutes of the jurisdiction(s) in which the private

car will be transported, covering Owner and all employees of the Owner if applicable. Employer's

liability coverage with limits of liability of not less than $1,000,000 each accident or incident shall be

included." Does that mean that I have to have that much? The car will be parked mostly but every few months a friend and I may travel to New York for the Holidays or something, otherwise unless there's a special occasion, only I will travel alone to SC, where I have friends or New York for an event, possibly New Orleans, but I consider that to be the Gulf coast.

The car will be parked mostly but every few months a friend and I may travel to New York for the Holidays or something, ...
IMHO, I would definitely look into renting a private car. They take care of all that, plus keeping the car up to Amtrak standards/requirements.

There are some really nice private cars you can rent, including some located on the east coast.

Back