Texas Eagle Sleepers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

printman2000

Engineer
Have a question about how the Texas Eagle does its sleepers.

On a day where there is no 422/421 cars, the train still has the sleeper on the rear (according to the consists thread. I assume they sell this space and do not just haul empty cars. Which sleeper do they sell first?

How do they staff the trans-sleeper? It has a coach next to it, does the coach attendant take care of it? What about ice/juice/coffee? There is not a place for all that like in a regular sleeper, do they provide it?

The 421/422 sleeper and the 21/22 sleeper on the TE are the same car. It is sold first. When the roomettes are full, they sell roomettes in the TransDorm car. (There are no bedrooms in the TransDorm.)

Service in the TransDorm seems to vary; I have no first-hand experience.

The 421/422 sleeper and the 21/22 sleeper on the TE are the same car. It is sold first. When the roomettes are full, they sell roomettes in the TransDorm car. (There are no bedrooms in the TransDorm.)

Service in the TransDorm seems to vary; I have no first-hand experience.
I do not think that is correct. On days where 421/422 run, if you choose 421/422 you are buying space in the last sleeper of the train (on the very end) and that car is the through car to the Sunset Limited. If you buy 21/22 space, you are put in the transdorm (which, as you said, only has roomettes available).

If you choose a day where there is no 421/422 option, I would assume they would sell the rear full sleeper first, but did not know for certain.

Chris has the consist right( as of now, it seems to change regularly!) On my upcoming Freeloading Loop Trip to California were booked in #421 from AUS-LAX and have Roomette #8 which will be in the run through Sleeper on the back of the Train! On return from CHI-AUS well be in the Transdorm since the Revenue Sleeper is SOLD OUT that day from CHI-SAS! Those that dont like the long walk to/from the Diner (also true on #27/#28 and #448/#449)may want to Book the Revenue Sleeper closest to the Diner or Transdorm on those Trains!

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I will be on the Texas Eagle next week from Chicago to LA - a bedroom in the through car. We are a bit concerned about Amtrak food (as good as it may be) for that long. Do they have any healthy options on the menu these days?

My wife and I will be on the Texas Eagle next week from Chicago to LA - a bedroom in the through car. We are a bit concerned about Amtrak food (as good as it may be) for that long. Do they have any healthy options on the menu these days?
HERE is the menu for the Texas Eagle.

HERE is what says the Sunset Limited Eastbound. Not sure if the Westbound is different.

For lunch there is a salad option and dinner usually has a "Healthy Option".

Depends on what you mean by healthy. The menus are available but they're also intentionally vague with few specifics as to ingredients and preparation. I would say that in most respects the food is not all that healthy, at least by my standards. If you want something fresh I would strongly suggest bringing something of your own in a cooler of some sort.

Be warned on my northbound SAS to STL Eagle trip last month on a non-thru #22 in Roomette #7 right by the rear window (my favorite place to be on the train) both breakfasts were on the "Express Menu" just continental, french toast, or scrambled eggs plus breakfast meats

Looking at going Chicago to Fort Worth next year, the price for a roomette is higher for 21 than it is for 421. I understand that 21 is the transition sleeper, but you would think that they would want to steer travelers who are not going past San Antonio and wanting roomettes onto 21 and save 421 for the through passengers.

Looking at going Chicago to Fort Worth next year, the price for a roomette is higher for 21 than it is for 421. I understand that 21 is the transition sleeper, but you would think that they would want to steer travelers who are not going past San Antonio and wanting roomettes onto 21 and save 421 for the through passengers.
So far as I understand ARROW is still too limited to realize these cars are actually part of the same train. Thus, it treats them as completely different trains and you end up with illogical results that end up kicking paying customers off the train and into the dumpy station unnecessarily. This could possibly be addressed through some programming work or it could be addressed by adjustment of Amtrak SOP. However, I probably wouldn't hold my breath on any of that.

I was just thinking they should make roomettes cheaper on 21 for anyone using a city pair not past San Antonio.
#21/#22 Usually IS Cheaper than #421/#422, both in Coach and Sleeper,for Stops between CHI and SAS! On my upcoming trip returning from California to Austin the Roomette Charge for #421 was $445 and for #21 $194!! (but we're in the Transdorm, not positive if this Low Bucket is Standard on this Route?)IINM Amtrak intentionally tries to keep the Rooms Open on the #421/#422 Sleeper and Coach for through Pax West of SAS on the three days they run!

I was just thinking they should make roomettes cheaper on 21 for anyone using a city pair not past San Antonio.
#21/#22 Usually IS Cheaper than #421/#422, both in Coach and Sleeper,for Stops between CHI and SAS! On my upcoming trip returning from California to Austin the Roomette Charge for #421 was $445 and for #21 $194!! (but we're in the Transdorm, not positive if this Low Bucket is Standard on this Route?)IINM Amtrak intentionally tries to keep the Rooms Open on the #421/#422 Sleeper and Coach for through Pax West of SAS on the three days they run!
Apparently, not anymore.

Chicago to Fort Worth

July 2, 2013

Roomette

21 - $275

421 - $168

I have checked other dates and this seems to be the opening prices. Same thing going the other way. On non-421 days, the only sleeper price is the $168.

Apparently, not anymore.

Chicago to Fort Worth

July 2, 2013

Roomette

21 - $275

421 - $168

I have checked other dates and this seems to be the opening prices. Same thing going the other way. On non-421 days, the only sleeper price is the $168.
:hi: Thanks for the info, evidently Ive only checked Prices to/from AUS,and I did say USUALLY based on my own experience! Hope this trend continues on the Eagles since I have to ride it to get anywhere on the Train! <_< As most of us know that live down this way #421/#422 is just a Cutout Sleeper and Coach hooked to the back of the Eagle and Sunset but the Number Wizards @ Amtrak evidently have a Secret Forumula to determine the Fares on these Trains?? <_<

Nowadays, the consist goes,

LOCO

Dorm

Coach

Coach

Lounge

CCC

Coach

Sleeper

This is true for everyday now.

I must disagree. Margie and I were on the train going from SA to FTW over Memorial Day weekend and, while I am not sure of the entire consist, we were in room # 20 in the transdorm, and walked through a sleeper to the nect car which was the diner, the car after that was the sightseer.

LOCO

Dorm

Coach

Coach

Lounge

CCC

Coach

Sleeper

I must disagree. Margie and I were on the train going from SA to FTW over Memorial Day weekend and, while I am not sure of the entire consist, we were in room # 20 in the transdorm, and walked through a sleeper to the nect car which was the diner, the car after that was the sightseer.
Interesting. I wonder if they have gone back to cutting in the sleeper or if this was just a one time deal.

LOCO

Dorm

Coach

Coach

Lounge

CCC

Coach

Sleeper

Amtrak has been changing the consists on this Route often this year, but I have ridden 4 times in the past month out of AUS and it was always as listed above! The Conductors and OBS told me that this change was done @ the start of June and made the most sense since it simplified the Switching in SAS and also in CHI since the CONO and Eagle are Run through Trains utilizing the same Equipment!

Apparently, not anymore.

Chicago to Fort Worth

July 2, 2013

Roomette

21 - $275

421 - $168

:hi: Thanks for the info, evidently Ive only checked Prices to/from AUS,and I did say USUALLY based on my own experience! Hope this trend continues on the Eagles since I have to ride it to get anywhere on the Train! <_< As most of us know that live down this way #421/#422 is just a Cutout Sleeper and Coach hooked to the back of the Eagle and Sunset but the Number Wizards @ Amtrak evidently have a Secret Forumula to determine the Fares on these Trains?? <_<
Going Chicago to Austin the prices are the same for both. Interesting.

LOCO

Dorm

Coach

Coach

Lounge

CCC

Coach

Sleeper

I gather then that one sleeper is sufficient to meet the demand on that route? Maybe I'm spoiled by the AT, which seems to have a bunch of sleepers (including one that is all full bedrooms). But when I see only 1-2 sleepers on a given LD consist, I wonder what the overall demand for that train is like... :huh:

I gather then that one sleeper is sufficient to meet the demand on that route? Maybe I'm spoiled by the AT, which seems to have a bunch of sleepers (including one that is all full bedrooms). But when I see only 1-2 sleepers on a given LD consist, I wonder what the overall demand for that train is like... :huh:
It is not about demand as much as available equipment. Probably not an LD train that could not use another sleeper or two.

aI must disagree. Margie and I were on the train going from SA to FTW over Memorial Day weekend and, while I am not sure of the entire consist, we were in room # 20 in the transdorm, and walked through a sleeper to the nect car which was the diner, the car after that was the sightseer.
The consist changed more than once in a span of roughly two months.

Just out of curiosity, why not take the Southwest Chief?

if you take 421/422 chicago to la and back your sleeper is the last car on the train. train 21/22 chicago to san antonio the regular sleeper is the third car behind the engine and the crew dorm sleeper. warning you don't want to sleep in the dorm sleeper.i slept in dorm car top floor.it's next to engine.all night long i heard the train horn.the sleeper attendent services the next sleepr.,didn't see him much in the dorm car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back