LA to DC: roomette size for family of 2 + newborn

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AL

Hi,

My husband and I are traveling with our newborn to DC (from LA) and we'd like to take the train (instead of a plane). We are basically on the Southwest Chief and then (from Chicago) on the 30 Capitol Limited. We're wondering if the superliner roomette will be big enough for us , given the baby and his car seat/carrier. Or should we look into getting a superliner bedroom instead (seats 2 -3 adutls)? Or is the superliner bedroom too small as well?

Any input on room size welcome. thanks!

Hi,

My husband and I are traveling with our newborn to DC (from LA) and we'd like to take the train (instead of a plane). We are basically on the Southwest Chief and then (from Chicago) on the 30 Capitol Limited. We're wondering if the superliner roomette will be big enough for us , given the baby and his car seat/carrier. Or should we look into getting a superliner bedroom instead (seats 2 -3 adutls)? Or is the superliner bedroom too small as well?

Well the beds in the roomette would be too small for both you and your husband, but putting the baby on the inside against the wall would be fine. The bedroom is really not necessary unless you want more space, but you can make do. It will be nice having all of the meals included for the duration of the trip.

Hi,

I think it really depends on your own preferences in re: space. If you lean more towards the "claustrophobic" side, then the roomette might be pushing it. Superliner roomettes are very narrow (enough room for a couple to sit opposite each other) and, lengthwise, enough for two single "bunk beds" to fold into place at night. The Superliner roomettes do not have private sink and toilet. Your baby, of course, would be sleeping with you one one of the two bunk beds. Here's the Amtrak page on the "Superliner Roomette"

If that's not enough space, then I'd go with the "Superliner Bedroom" Quite a bit more space and a private bathroom & shower. Although, you'd still probably have the baby sleep on one of the beds. Preferably the lower bunk since it is a slight bit wider than the upper.

Hope this helps.

There is another option- family bedroom. It has 2 adult-sized bunks and 2 child-sized bunks. Room is located on lower level. Only way (if I remember correctly) it can be done is calling Amtrak reservation. Two weeks prior to departure date, unsold room will be available to anyone.

There is another option- family bedroom. It has 2 adult-sized bunks and 2 child-sized bunks. Room is located on lower level. Only way (if I remember correctly) it can be done is calling Amtrak reservation. Two weeks prior to departure date, unsold room will be available to anyone.
I believe it (family bedroom) is also much more expensive than a Superliner Bedroom, if not twice as expensive. It would be almost like getting a "suite" (basically, two Superliner bedrooms facing each other with the partition between them opened up). Which might also be an option, if the OP wants to pay for it. But I'm thinking "infant" sized, so probably better if the baby sleeps with the adult on the lower bunk. A single Superliner bedroom should suffice.

I did the same route last December in a sleeper with wife. It is comfortable during the day and you can always go to the "Viewing" car and stretch your legs and watch the scenery out of the big windows. The Capitol is an over nighter from Chicago to D.C. but the Southwest Chief is 3 day/2 night. Just looking at the Roomette vs the Superliner Bedroom with shower and sink is a $800 difference for after Labor Day. What I did was check what was left as far as Superliner Bedrooms go the day before I left so I had a rough idea how many empty Superliner Bedrooms were available on the Southwest Chief.

When the conductor came by to punch our tickets, I mentioned I was interested in "possibly" upgrading from my Roomette to a Superliner Bedroom from LA-Chicago and could he check a price for me. He came back in about 15 minutes and asked how was $100. I took it. The space difference was worth the $100 but I don't know what your financial situation is. AMTRAK uses some kind of formula to determine this on board upgrade and my experience may not be your experience.

The meals are included, there are bathrooms in each sleeper car, as well as coffee and juice and each sleeper car has a sleeper car attendant that can answer all your questions. It is more relaxing than the plane.

You will enjoy yourselves..

Last edited by a moderator:
I recommend the Superliner Bedroom (which is the way I travel - with one person). I believe the Family bedroom is available on line and the price varies depending on supply/demand. Sometimes, I have seen it more expensive than a Superliner Bedroom and sometimes less. It is located downstairs, whereas the Superliner bedrooms are located upstairs. Some people prefer upstairs, and some downstairs. I prefer upstairs. I also prefer to pay the extra cost in dollars or points to have my own bathroom facilities.

The terms you mentioned here are not for the Family Bedroom. The Family Bedroom is available online at any time for anyone who wishes to purchase it.

I think you are confused between the Family Bedroom and Accessible Bedroom.

I think Guest above is interpreting correctly.

Family Bedroom can be booked online and is often cheaper than a Bedroom. No private restroom in there.

The Accessible Bedroom can't be booked by ordinary mortals until 2 weeks out. These may fit a Pack & Play as they have enough room for a wheelchair. No clue on pricing.

I usually travel Roomette if going overnight. It's not very big but good enough for two adults. The Bedroom is just too expensive for it's extra perks. You can go for the bedroom but the Roomette should be big enough and still more comfortable than a plane. Very good vlue if you can get a low price, IMHO. Hope you have a nice trip!

I have seen couples with an infant occupy a roomette. And it is doable, but quite snug. So if you do it, go into it with the understanding that there weren't be much room within the room. In fact, it may be hard to keep the baby in the carrier and still find room to put the two of you, your feet, and the carrier all in the room. It's doable, but again, very snug.

So if you can afford it, and one is available, you may well wish to consider a Bedroom for the extra space.

I just reviewed the OP's message again.

With a newborn, I don't think you want him on one of the beds for safety reasons. (SIDS, bumps, you name it.) I presume he'll be sleeping in the car seat. If this is your plan, then the roomette is much too small, but any of the bedrooms will suit just fine.

Depending on your budget of course, I would go for the Bedroom, especially on the SW Chief, since you will be spending the better part of 2 full days/nignts on one train. The extra seat in the Bedroom, in-room toilet/shower, coffee/juice/ice down the hall, should make it MUCH more confortable for you, hubby and your newborn. Also IMHO upstairs is a smoother, quieter ride than lower level as well. Te Roomette would be a stretch (literally) and Family BR is overkill (and harder to get since there is only one per car).

You didn't say when you were traveling, but if you are going during summer travel season, book early as rooms are limited and Amtrak sells space by the price "bucket"--the low bucket sells out first, etc.

Happy Rails and have a safe, enjoyable trip.

There won't be room for the car seat when the beds are down for the night.
True.

We did MSP-PDX back in 1988 with an 18-month child in a Superliner roomette.

It was good.

The car seat we parked on the baggage shelf at mid-car.

Mom and toddler got the lower bunk, Dad got the upper. We took a 2-day break at Glacier -- which was unfortunately in the midst of forest fires at the time.

It worked very well for us, maybe a bit crowded, but the child didn't care, and we parents liked it. Maybe the much-more expensive bedroom would serve your needs better.

But it's all up to personal preference. I'm not claustrophobic, and never had seasickness, and my wife and daughter neither. Actually, my daughter is now serving in the Navy, never gets seasick, doesn't mind cramped spaces, totally loves those fun?-rides that turn you upside-down and inside out.

I did have some strange dreams in that upper bunk on the worst 2 sections of track - Fargo to Grand Forks - and Spokane to Pasco. Dreamed the train kept falling over on its side but the engines pulled it straight again.

The upper bunks in both Roomette and Bedroom (there are a few lower level Roomettes) are nearly 20 feet above the tracks, any swaying is magnified. In the Bedrooms the bunks are crossways, in Roomettes they are lengthways - if that makes a difference to you.

About the infant's safety seat -- you don't need to keep the newborn in it on the train -- unless for the child's comfort or yours. You will need to carry the infant in arms or in safety seat when you go the the lounge or diner.

I just reviewed the OP's message again.

With a newborn, I don't think you want him on one of the beds for safety reasons. (SIDS, bumps, you name it.) I presume he'll be sleeping in the car seat. If this is your plan, then the roomette is much too small, but any of the bedrooms will suit just fine.
Yes, in that case, definitely get a Superliner Bedroom. At least there is room (with the bunks laid out) for a baby car seat between the toilet/shower door and the permanent chair. Or, you might be able to strap the baby's car seat onto the permanent chair itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would agree with those who suggest the Bedroom over the Roommette. If you can afford the larger room, there are so many advantages with having a newborn. Changing diapers and caring for the baby would be much easier in the bedroom where you have your own bathroom and space. :eek:

Having to move back and forth to a bathroom from the roomette would be a real hassle for most. :(

There is plenty of space for your carrier to sit on or near the lower bunk as well.

Have a great trip. :)

Let's face it. The roomette vs. bedroom question is a deep philosophical one, whether we are talking about a couple with newborn or a single person.

Whatever room you choose, or travel in coach -- what you will learn is that the two of you can care for that newborn -- you may fight over some details , you probably will -- but in the end -- you'll learn that you are some damn fine parents and you know how to care for the baby on a cross-country trip -- and all three of you will love it.

That's been my experience. Personally, and by proxy watching travelling parents with newborns.

Just do it. Trust yourselves and trust the baby too - infants have a lot of skills -- but need a lot of help too.

You know what's important. The voyage will go well. Trust me on this -- it's true -- don't sweat the small stuff -- what's important you will just do and do right. In my experience, the newborn reaches out and flips a switch in the parent's brain -- you WILL care for the baby, you WILL make all the right decisions for the newborn's welfare.

Second to second, day to day. That's just how it goes with newborns. Love em - there's no way to do otherwise. Repeat - don't sweat the small stuff - because you WILL get the important stuff right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back