#1561 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:06 PM

Now that's a nice looking train!

(was that bridge once fully double tracked?)

SJ - Norra Stambanan, Nordvästra stambanan, Södra stambanan, Dalabanan

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

#1562 chrsjrcj

chrsjrcj

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:58 AM

Yes, I believe all the drawbridges were once double tracked. The New River bridge in Fort Lauderdale still is. 

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet, new photos of the West Palm Beach station: https://therealdeal....mpleted-photos/

I drive by it every few days. The parking garage/apartment complex is massive. I can see the two cranes a couple miles away when I'm approaching downtown. 

#1563 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 02:03 PM

The station is rather striking - why weren't the tracks roofed as well?

Is the statement about highway infrastructure true or a bit hyped up?

SJ - Norra Stambanan, Nordvästra stambanan, Södra stambanan, Dalabanan

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

#1564 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:42 AM

The station looks impressive. I wish them every success with this.

#1565 jphjaxfl

jphjaxfl

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • Interests:Rail passenger advocate for modern, reliable passenger trains that will allow for business or leasure travel. I have been riding trains for over 60 years, but I am not advocating going back to what we once had, rather an updated system similar to Europe, Japan, China, India and other nations with great passenger train systems.

Posted Yesterday, 06:47 AM

The station is rather striking - why weren't the tracks roofed as well?

Is the statement about highway infrastructure true or a bit hyped up?

The traffic through the West Palm Beach to Miami corridor on both I-95 and the Florida Turnpike which is further west but parallels I95 can be extremely congested all hours of the day specially in the winters months.  Brightline has been needed for years.

#1566 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,173 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted Yesterday, 09:45 AM

Congestion on the highway is actually getting pretty bad even north of West Palm beach, all the way to Jupiter and even St. Lucie.

FDOT projects that by 2025 traffic congestion will stretch all the way north to the Melbourne-Palm bay area on I95, even in spite of the frantic addition of a third lane in each direction all the way to Cocoa. Already we have traffic blocked somewhere or the other in Brevard County more than one day a week due to accidents, often fatal, on I-95. Which of course plays havoc on local roads too as clueless people try to find ways around the blockage.

#1567 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:25 PM

Florida is one of those states that still thinks they can pave its way to mobility.   ;)

#1568 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,395 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted Yesterday, 05:02 PM

Good transportation plans include paved roads. Also tracks and feet. Integrated solutions are best.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#1569 Caesar La Rock

Caesar La Rock

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted Today, 12:22 AM

Florida is one of those states that still thinks they can pave its way to mobility.   ;)

And it's backfiring real quick. I can't walk two miles in either direction without seeing roadside memorials. That's just in Orlando, I heard its worst in South Florida.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users