1583 replies to this topic

#1541 A Voice

A Voice

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:24 PM

Siemens is going to get that completed BrightGreen train off shop trucks prior to delivery, right?   :)

#1542 MattW

MattW

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:10 PM

Siemens is going to get that completed BrightGreen train off shop trucks prior to delivery, right?   :)

You mean those wouldn't be good for 110mph?

Forum's official broken record about expanded Georgia passenger service!

#1543 WoodyinNYC

WoodyinNYC

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:37 PM

Thanks, jis.

More on Brightline train delivery. Orange and Green will be delivered together in a few weeks ...

http://gobrightline....utm_content=cta

This info from the Brightline site linked above may be old news to any who follow this project closely. But for the rest of us, a nice summary:

All of Brightline’s trains are being built by nearly 1,000 employees at Siemens 60-acre rail manufacturing hub in Sacramento, California. To build the coaches, Siemens opened a new 125,000 square foot expansion of its rail manufacturing hub, including a new state of the art welding site. The trains are 100 percent Buy America compliant, utilizing components from more than 40 suppliers across 20+ states. As an example, the guest seats are being manufactured near Chicago, the vestibule doors in Littleton, Colorado and the large windows in Emporia, Virginia.

Each trainset consists of two diesel-electric locomotives, one on each end of four passenger coaches. These locomotives are Tier IV compliant, meaning that they meet the highest emissions standards set by the federal government.

The stainless steel passenger coaches are the first to be manufactured by Siemens in the United States. Brightline’s coaches include many innovations and are designed for guest comfort and convenience. These innovations include level boarding, touchless bathrooms, full accessibility, large, comfortable seats, onboard wi-fi, storage for luggage and bicycles and more.

The more American tourists ride these trains, the more people will ask, "Why can't Amtrak have nice trains like this?" Well, Congresscritter, what's the multi-Billion dollar answer?

About $10 Billion for enuff new, additional equipment to add a sleeper and 1 or 2 coaches to every LD train.  About 70 more Viewliner IIs; then replace and add to single-level cars, giving the fleet 1,000 coaches and lounges for service east of the Mississippi; replace and add cars to bring the bi-level fleet to about 900 units for the West; more bi-level coaches for corridor services (beyond the current stalled order); and get new locomotives to use all over the country. So a mere $2 Billion per annum for 5 or 6 years to completely re-equip Amtrak.

And at least $75 Billion for upgraded infrastructure for more and better corridor services. At $7.5 Billion a year for 10 years, this amount is about double what was proposed in rail-friendly budgets in recent years.

All my estimates may be on the low side, but with at least $85 Billion, Amtrak could increase its service levels much closer to those of the Brightline.

#1544 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:51 AM

The more American tourists ride these trains, the more people will ask, "Why can't Amtrak have nice trains like this?" Well, Congresscritter, what's the multi-Billion dollar answer?

But it could equally backfire.

People might think, this is what a private company can do. It looks way nicer than what Amtrak has to offer. So its time to split up and defund Amtrak.

That would be a catastrophe.

Edited by cirdan, 20 April 2017 - 08:52 AM.

#1545 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,350 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:45 AM

This is way outside the scope of this thread, but I think what is important is to get a national transportation strategy and plan in place that includes passenger rail as an equal participant. Whether the actual implementation is via Amtrak or a collection of state agencies or a mix of private and public is an issue that needs to be dealt with under that broader framework, in order for everything to not be just ad hoc tinkering, which is the case right now.

What would be important within such a strategy would be to keep the Long Distance business within a single entity and fund it adequately. Just like Commuter systems have already been separated out, it is conceivable that intrastate or regional services are handled by an organization separate from the LD one. What is important is to have a common fare instrument and performance KPIs driving a well structured contract between the funding agency and the service providing vendor. At least I do not view protecting the current Amtrak edifice as the highest priority within such a broader scope approach. Keeping Amtrak in its present form alive and well will remain the highest priority however, as long as it is the proxy for a currently absent national strategy for transportation that includes rail as an equal player.

#1546 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:31 AM

At least I do not view protecting the current Amtrak edifice as the highest priority within such a broader scope approach. Keeping Amtrak in its present form alive and well will remain the highest priority however, as long as it is the proxy for a currently absent national strategy for transportation that includes rail as an equal player.

I couldn't agree more.

#1547 Caesar La Rock

Caesar La Rock

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 12:01 PM

Oh damn.

http://www.orlandose...0423-story.html

#1548 Brian_tampa

Brian_tampa

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 12:31 PM

I would not be too concerned as AAF has been saying since last year there will be a 30 month construction schedule for phase 2. And they have been saying lately that phase 2 construction wont begin until after phase 1 is operational. So service to Orlando 30 months from October 2017 puts the start up date sometime spring 2020. They are quietly accumulating all the required permits for phase 2. So the opponents can only stop phase 2 if, and only if, AAF has no other source of funding other than the Private Activity Bonds (PAB's). But Mr. Reininger (Executive Director of FECI, former CEO of AAF) has said that AAF will obtain financing, implying it might not be PAB's.

#1549 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,350 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 02:54 PM

I concur with Brian. That article is mostly about difficulties being faced by SunRail. It is not saying anything new about Brightline and is not indicating any schedule slippage, though it is trying mighty hard to imply something bad to make it a better clickbait.

Edited by jis, 24 April 2017 - 06:29 AM.

#1550 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:27 AM

I concur with Brian. That article is mostly about difficulties being faced by SunRail. It is not saying anything new about Brightline and is not indicating any schedule slippage, though it is trying mighty hard to imply something bad to make it a netter clickbait.

True.

And there does not appear to be much synergy between Sunrain and Brightline, unlike the hosting of Tri-rail by FEC in Miami.

I don't think Sunrail happening or not happening will have much impact on Brightline one way or the other.

I still believe that sooner or later there is going to be a rail-based (or lets call it non-highway, as it could be BRT) urban publc-transportaion system in the Orlando area just because it's just crazy for a multi-centric metro area of that size and significance not to have any attractive alternative to driving. But I don't think Sunrail need necessarily be the base of that, or is necessarily the best tool for the job.

If you can do that sort of thing for less with BRT or Maglev or whatever, I would welcome that too.

Edited by cirdan, 24 April 2017 - 06:29 AM.

#1551 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:47 AM

I concur with Brian. That article is mostly about difficulties being faced by SunRail. It is not saying anything new about Brightline and is not indicating any schedule slippage, though it is trying mighty hard to imply something bad to make it a netter clickbait.

True.

And there does not appear to be much synergy between Sunrain and Brightline, unlike the hosting of Tri-rail by FEC in Miami.

I don't think Sunrail happening or not happening will have much impact on Brightline one way or the other.

I still believe that sooner or later there is going to be a rail-based (or lets call it non-highway, as it could be BRT) urban publc-transportaion system in the Orlando area just because it's just crazy for a multi-centric metro area of that size and significance not to have any attractive alternative to driving. But I don't think Sunrail need necessarily be the base of that, or is necessarily the best tool for the job.

If you can do that sort of thing for less with BRT or Maglev or whatever, I would welcome that too.

The plans call for some sort of monorail or maglev going to International Drive and possibly eventually Disney World as well as SunRail going to downtown and northern suburbs such as Sanford. In order to have a fully developed and effective rail-based transportation system, I believe both are necessary. Whereas one could theoretically extend SunRail along the Maglev route, the costs would be prohibitive to its effectiveness. The same goes for the Maglev on the SunRail corridor, as a heavy rail corridor is in place with stations already in place. However, increased frequencies would be necessary for a SunRail service to the airport. I also believe it makes sense to have all of these systems converge at OIA, as it could serve as a transfer point for all except Amtrak, which would be by far the least trafficked of the trains. I have also heard of plans to have the Maglev/monorail connect to SunRail instead of having SunRail stop at the airport, which could also work. However, I would not prefer this option as the more transfers that are added, the fewer passengers who are willing to ride.
Trains travelled: Capitol Limited WAS-CHI, Carolinian CLT-RGH, Coast Starlight SJC-LAX, Crescent BAL-ATL, Empire Builder MSP-CHI, Empire Service NYP-NFL, Lake Shore Limited BOS-ALB, Maple Leaf ALB-NYP, Northeast Regional FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, Pacific Surfliner LAX-ANA, Piedmont RGH-DNC, Silver Meteor ORL-NYP, Silver Star FTL-WAS, 2016 Autumn Express NYP-HAR-NYP

Upcoming New Routes: Pennsylvanian NYP-PGH (July), Cardinal CHI-WAS (July), Lake Shore Limited NYP-CHI (December), California Zephyr CHI-RIC (December), Coast Starlight SJC-SEA (December), Empire Builder SEA-MSP (January).

Non Amtrak: Atlanta Streetcar, Caltrain, CTA, DC Streetcar, Hudson-Bergen Light Rail, LIRR, MARC, MARTA, MBTA Subway, Metra, Metrolink, METRO Transit Light Rail, Miami Metrorail, Muni Metro, NJT Commuter Rail, North Star, NYC Subway, PATH, River Line (NJT), SEPTA Regional Rail, SEPTA Subway, South Shore Line, Sunrail, TECO Streetcar, Tri-Rail, Washington Metro

#1552 MARC Rider

MARC Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:04 AM

"I still believe that sooner or later there is going to be a rail-based (or lets call it non-highway, as it could be BRT) urban publc-transportaion system in the Orlando area just because it's just crazy for a multi-centric metro area of that size and significance not to have any attractive alternative to driving."

You've obviously never visited San Antonio, Texas.

#1553 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 28 April 2017 - 06:34 AM

The existence of a circumstance is not suggestive of its sanity.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#1554 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:29 PM

"I still believe that sooner or later there is going to be a rail-based (or lets call it non-highway, as it could be BRT) urban publc-transportaion system in the Orlando area just because it's just crazy for a multi-centric metro area of that size and significance not to have any attractive alternative to driving."

The only alternative to driving in San Antonio is floating down a river.... And it's not attractive.

From Cesar's article:

Maglev president and CEO, Tony Morris, said last week that his company’s goal is to start train service in late 2019 for the fall convention season.

They're gonna spend $400M in two years without even having a municipally approved plan yet?  ROFLOL

Edited by VentureForth, 01 May 2017 - 07:33 AM.

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#1555 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,598 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:22 AM

Or Austin either!

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#1556 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,350 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 08:57 AM

Delivery special for Brightline sets three and four is on its way.

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=wsKufZBCwYM

Edited by jis, 06 May 2017 - 09:02 AM.

#1557 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,350 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:57 AM

Fort Lauderdale Station ...

http://www.sun-senti...0509-story.html

So looks like Brightline will have some amount of Security check before entering the station platform area.

Edited by jis, 10 May 2017 - 10:01 AM.

#1558 chrsjrcj

chrsjrcj

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:42 PM

They'll have a screening check for bags. To what extant, I don't know. The whole station will be limited to ticket holders only. They'll have subway style turnstiles where you scan your ticket, before taking the escalator up to the waiting room.

#1559 City of Miami

City of Miami

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:17 PM

Or Austin either!

I'm not sure what either of you is saying since you don't actually say anything :-) but I lived in both cities for six and a half years without a car (or truck :-)). Both cities have affordable extensive public transit if one takes the trouble to understand how to use it.

#1560 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,350 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:18 PM

Brightline - two sets on delivery run on the FEC in Jupiter FL ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users