1497 replies to this topic

#1481 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,020 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 05:17 PM

This is early days and we don't yet know why Softbank bought Fortress Group and what they want to do with it.

Quite possibly this has nothing whatsoever to do with Brightline and it may not have any effect whatsoever.

Whether it has anything to do with it or not is a different question than what impact it will have.  FIG was, as far as I can tell, comparatively strapped for cash and so their ability to self-finance was limited.  As a note, per their last filing period Softbank had about $22bn in cash and equivalents in the bank while FIG never had more than about $400m.

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#1482 chrsjrcj

chrsjrcj

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 06:13 PM

According to reliable source posting on trainroders, the second Brightline train set will leave Sacramento tomorrow (Thursday 3/2/17) and head by the way of Los Angeles, New Orleans, and Jacksonville to the Brightline West Palm beach facility. Most of the move will be on UP until it is handed over to FEC at Jacksonville, with power change happening most likely at Bowden Yard.

Looks like it won't depart until Monday now.

#1483 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,854 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:05 PM

A neat video ...

https://youtu.be/tlS8IsPuC9c

#1484 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,854 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:16 AM

Bright Pink, the second consist, is on its way to Florida...

https://www.facebook...&type=3

#1485 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:46 AM

Bright Pink, the second consist, is on its way to Florida...

Beautiful! :) And among all this glamour, I'd like to give a thank you to the UP workhorses bringing Brightline across the country :) They may not be glamorous, but they are doing a lot of work!. 

Edited by Mystic River Dragon, 08 March 2017 - 10:47 AM.

#1486 prc

prc

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:50 AM

Forgive me for barging in like this, I've never posted here before (I tend to keep my mouth shut and my eyes/ears open)...

Is there any way to tell when this consist will be brought south from Jacksonville?  I'm in Melbourne and would love to watch it pass through.

Thanks.

#1487 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,854 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:27 AM

Forgive me for barging in like this, I've never posted here before (I tend to keep my mouth shut and my eyes/ears open)...

Is there any way to tell when this consist will be brought south from Jacksonville?  I'm in Melbourne and would love to watch it pass through.

Thanks.

Not really, other than following reports from on line railfans reporting passing times at various places. The last time there was a report out of JAX when it arrived there.

BTW, greetings from a fellow Melbourne resident here! :)

#1488 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,854 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:43 PM

http://trn.trains.co...ghtline-new-ceo

#1489 chrsjrcj

chrsjrcj

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:47 PM

I think the biggest takeaway from this is that operations are getting close to reality. Mr. Reininger will now focus on Phases 2 and 3 (which appears to be confirmed as Tampa not Jacksonville).

#1490 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,854 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:55 PM

He will be fully occupied trying to get Phase II done. There are still some significant political challenges to overcome.

#1491 Brian_tampa

Brian_tampa

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:59 PM

I think the biggest takeaway from this is that operations are getting close to reality. Mr. Reininger will now focus on Phases 2 and 3 (which appears to be confirmed as Tampa not Jacksonville).

Great news for us here in Tampa! I feel vindicated in a sense as I was about the only one who kept saying Tampa would (or should) be next after Orlando. Everyone else thought that Jacksonville was next due to the FECR railway ROW and agreement with AAF. But AAF/FECI is a business out to make money. Tampa offers many more potential passengers to other cities along the AAF system compared with Jacksonville. I must keep referring back to the 2006 Florida State Transportation Planning Report (updated in 2010) that detailed their analysis of travel patterns and included the rail template that AAF is following regarding routes, number of tracks, and even level of service!

Edited by Brian_tampa, 08 March 2017 - 06:00 PM.

#1492 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,854 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:14 PM

The Japanese acquisition of The Fortress Group with the Specific purpose of acquisition and development if American Real Estate changes the entire financial picture and strategy substantially. My guess is they would now be willing to actually make substantial real estate acquisitions even where they currently do not have a footprint, and a railroad might come along with it given the progressively more horrid state of the highway system and traffic.

Tampa is the first beneficiary of this change as TFG now has the money to justify the building and operating of that segment without any outside help provided they can get enough real estate to do the typical development around their station.

#1493 A Voice

A Voice

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 04:07 PM

Partial service to begin in July:

http://www.palmbeach...2TnzPrHpV0YOiM/

#1494 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,854 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:37 AM

The third set has left the factory and is one its way on UP in California.

The second set is due into New Orleans this (Saturday 3/11) evening. What CSX will do after that is unknown.

#1495 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,854 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:43 PM

Bright Pink crossing the St. johns River at Jacksonville on its way to Bowden Yard for handover to FEC to West Palm Beach and its AAF home.

Edited by jis, 13 March 2017 - 10:05 PM.

#1496 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,854 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:02 PM

Article on Debbie Mayfield's NIMBY Bill in the Florida Senate....

http://www.sun-senti...0319-story.html

Edited by jis, 20 March 2017 - 05:03 PM.

#1497 A Voice

A Voice

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:38 PM

Article on Debbie Mayfield's NIMBY Bill in the Florida Senate....

http://www.sun-senti...0319-story.html

Obviously All Aboard Florida opposes this bill, but they do go a bit over the top in their arguments:

The collateral damage of this bill for Florida will be no future for passenger rail within the state.

SB 386 is about killing AAF, and passenger rail in Florida dies alongside.

I know the intent is to obstruct Brightline (not really necessary if it fails on its own...), and I'm not saying the new rules are necessary or appropriate, but what specifically about these regulations does AAF find so onerous?  

Edited by A Voice, 20 March 2017 - 07:39 PM.

#1498 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,755 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:28 AM

They're trying to make AAF pay for city roads across their property (not legal, and a seizure) and they're trying to introduce a lot of bureaucratic hassle to prevent the system from being constructed at all.
--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users