Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Brightline (FEC) Update

• Please log in to reply
1966 replies to this topic

#1961 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,162 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:32 AM

How will running more trains that takes twice the time hurt an Express service eventually to Orlando? Does NJ Transit hurt Amtrak on the NEC? The fare differential would be similar too I suspect. Yeah Tri-Rail may be hurt a bit with Commuter Service run by Brightline on the FECR. But that is the right that they have managed to enshrine in their agreement with FECR for investing in the FECR infrastructure, and sounds like a perfectly reasonable thing to do

FECR is attractive for commuter service because it runs through the down town of each town that it runs through. Tri-Rail is often significantly west of the downtown area and is more oriented towards serving auto-centric suburbia to access the Miami CBDs and Airport.

#1962 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,656 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 12:01 PM

How will running more trains that takes twice the time hurt an Express service eventually to Orlando? Does NJ Transit hurt Amtrak on the NEC? The fare differential would be similar too I suspect. Yeah Tri-Rail may be hurt a bit with Commuter Service run by Brightline on the FECR. But that is the right that they have managed to enshrine in their agreement with FECR for investing in the FECR infrastructure, and sounds like a perfectly reasonable thing to do

FECR is attractive for commuter service because it runs through the down town of each town that it runs through. Tri-Rail is often significantly west of the downtown area and is more oriented towards serving auto-centric suburbia to access the Miami CBDs and Airport.

Exactly. More trains at half the speed would require significant passing tracks in addition to 100% double track. Perhaps passing tracks at commuter stations would be logical like at most Shinkansen stations. It just seems like they would be adding significant bottlenecks to a very busy line. It also doesn't help that the FEC has about 3x as many grade crossings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#1963 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,162 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:08 PM

They actually have a neat simulation showing how it will work, and what additional passing tracks will need to be built. It does not bottleneck at all. If you cannot operate 3tph plus an occasional freight, in each direction on a mostly double track railroad with passing sidings at strategically placed location I suspect you do not know what you are doing. :D

• VentureForth likes this

#1964 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,461 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:37 PM

Also, something to bear in mind is that the commuter service would act as a "feeder" for the Orlando service and the presumed service to Jacksonville.  In particular, I'd note that in Brightline's more aggressive projections, the FLL-WPB segment looked like it was rather "over capacity", so bleeding off some of the local traffic might help save space there (so you don't block out MIA/FLL-Orlando pax with FLL-WPB pax).  Also worth considering is that any agreement would probably give Brightline the ability to stop at several of the stations of their choosing (they've indicated that they want the right to stop at six stations in South Florida in negotiations with Tri-Rail).

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#1965 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 11:38 PM

Also, something to bear in mind is that the commuter service would act as a "feeder" for the Orlando service and the presumed service to Jacksonville.  In particular, I'd note that in Brightline's more aggressive projections, the FLL-WPB segment looked like it was rather "over capacity", so bleeding off some of the local traffic might help save space there (so you don't block out MIA/FLL-Orlando pax with FLL-WPB pax).  Also worth considering is that any agreement would probably give Brightline the ability to stop at several of the stations of their choosing (they've indicated that they want the right to stop at six stations in South Florida in negotiations with Tri-Rail).

Another thing I think they should advertise once the extension to Orlando opens is the fact that the West Palm Beach station is within walking distance from the Tri-Rail/Amtrak station, so connections could be made to local stations on Tri-Rail from Orlando.
<p>Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SEA-LAX, CZ CHI-RIC, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB SEA-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS/NYP-CHI, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-CLT, SM ORL-NYP, SS FTL-NYP

#1966 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,461 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 01:01 PM

Another thing I think they should advertise once the extension to Orlando opens is the fact that the West Palm Beach station is within walking distance from the Tri-Rail/Amtrak station, so connections could be made to local stations on Tri-Rail from Orlando.

That may well come up.  TBH they should consider running a shuttle of some sort: At the risk of losing some business MIA/FLL-WPB (and some parking revenue), I think the number of folks who are going to be inclined to meet the "wrong" train out of Miami to save a few bucks is likely to, at peak hours, be far outweighed by folks who either couldn't get a ticket or who're traveling from one of the other stations.  Also, it would allow a "full" transfer from Miami International (where Tri-Rail terminates) to Orlando International, and I think there is a market for that, depending on faring rules and the like.

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#1967 Scott Orlando

Scott Orlando

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:50 PM

Article with good photos of the Miami station interior:
https://www.thenextm...t-miamicentral/

Silver Star 5, Silver Meteor 3, California Zephyr 2, Capitol Limited, City of New Orleans, Sunset Limited, Tri-Rail, Trinty Railway Express, Great Smoky Mountain Railway, Georgetown Loop, Stone Mountain Railway, DC Metro, MARTA, BART, Miami Metrorail, and Metro Rio (Rio de Janeiro)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Ziv