Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Brightline (FEC) Update

• Please log in to reply
2161 replies to this topic

#1821 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 05:40 AM

BTW, I discovered that at the Brightline checkin gate actually gets the latest update from the central computer if needed, when you scan the boarding pass. So even a very last minute seat change will be detected and if different from what is on the boarding pass one is asked to go to a kiosk and get an updated boarding pass, so that the latest seat assignment appears correctly on it. It is important to have the right seat info on the boarding pass, since a human has to read it and match it with the numbers on the platform and on doors and seats in order to actually find ones seat. Until we have eprfected the update to the brain patch to be able to feed it directly to ones brain, we are stuck with printed paper or Smartphone App documents.

Many (most?) airlines already offer the option that you don't need a printed boarding pass but can scan either a stored pdf, or use an app to pass the gates.

The advantage of an app is that they can update information in real time, so strictly speaking there is no need to send you back to a kiosk.

If the app is GPS enabled they can even use it to check whether or not you have boarded the train, and no-show bookings can be released for the benefit of passengers boarding at subsequent stations.

#1822 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,120 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 07 February 2018 - 05:53 AM

With a paper there is. With an app there is not. I was using paper.

Edited by jis, 07 February 2018 - 06:07 AM.

#1823 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:59 AM

OK, I'll bite, do you know anything more about the purported "beyonds" in the links (Georgia, Texas, etc)?

Brightline, Broward & Beyond?

SJ - Norra Stambanan, Nordvästra stambanan, Södra stambanan, Dalabanan

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

#1824 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,120 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:43 AM

OK, I'll bite, do you know anything more about the purported "beyonds" in the links (Georgia, Texas, etc)?

Brightline, Broward & Beyond?

I know about beyond West Palm Beach upto Orlando

Construction is beginning as we speak on Phase 2 north of West Palm Beach. There has been some drainage work that is already under construction along SR 528 in Orange County. Construction is about to begin in Brevard County.

Beyond Phase 2, station location in Brevard County is in discussion between Brightline and the County Commissioners - most likely somewhere in Rockledge or Cocoa as it looks now, though Melbourne and Palm bay are in the set of locations under consideration too.

Recently Fort Pierce has started discussion for a station there.

Beyond Orlando I don;t know anything beyond what the article says other than some easement and other applications that were submitted in connection with a potential service to Jacksonville over the last six months. There is currently no timeline for such.

AFAIK Georgia, Texas etc. are just aspirational, though given the deep pockets of SoftBank, their participation in some way shape or form with the Texas HSR cannot be ruled out I suppose.

#1825 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:47 AM

AFAIK Georgia, Texas etc. are just aspirational, though given the deep pockets of SoftBank, their participation in some way shape or form with the Texas HSR cannot be ruled out I suppose.

Thanks, that was the part I was most interested and intrigued by - it seems a long shot.

SJ - Norra Stambanan, Nordvästra stambanan, Södra stambanan, Dalabanan

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

#1826 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:07 PM

I wonder if Brightline would pay for part of the Sunrail connection at Orlando for exchange of trackage rights that would get them on the way to Tampa?

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#1827 chrsjrcj

chrsjrcj

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:28 PM

I'm not sure they would need the SunRail connection to the airport. They could just use 417 from the Airport to I-4, which was one of the alternative alignments for the original Florida HSR project. 

#1828 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,120 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:22 PM

I wonder if Brightline would pay for part of the Sunrail connection at Orlando for exchange of trackage rights that would get them on the way to Tampa?

No. Since the plan for Tampa does not require any trackage rights. It is all new trackage along the SR 427 - I-4 Corridor.

The SunRail connection would be along the existing spur to the power station.

#1829 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:35 PM

Oh nice... Where did you see this plan? I hadn't read that yet.

The existing CSX alignment sure seems pretty good to me.

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#1830 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 06:14 AM

Oh nice... Where did you see this plan? I hadn't read that yet.

The existing CSX alignment sure seems pretty good to me.

But would CSX let Brightline play on their tracks?

I wonder if Brightline will be able to dust off any of the planning and pre-engineering work that went into preparing the abroted Orlando to Tampa HSR project? Or whether they're starting over from scratch.

#1831 GBNorman

GBNorman

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Interests:Retired CPA; employed within railroad industry 1970-81

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:02 AM

Volks, although I'm not going to a concert at Kravis this year while I'm "down below" Feb 18-20 (the Chicago Symphony will be performing there, but it will be the same program that I heard last Friday at Orchestra Hall). I could possibly put Brightline to use to get from Ehh to Bee.

Here's how: drive to Ft. Lauderdale (from the Holiday Inn at Turnpike Exit 75), park at the "intro-free" garage, take Brightline to WP, walk to Ruth's Chris adjacent to Kravis, early Dinner (on my own; like to be gone from restaurants before they fill up), take Brightline back to FTL (that gives an hour to get .02 BAC out of me from any Grape Juice I had), drive back to hotel. Maybe I'll go Business NB and have a "comp" Grape Juice aperitif, SB Coach so "I'm led not into temptation".

I've now booked a ticket for my Feb 19 "joyride to chow". Up 355P in Select. Back 7P in Smart. Booking went very smooth.

What's another $22.50 when I've already laid out an "only sort of refundable" $814 for Auto-Train!!!

I have to give them credit for a smooth rollout. I'm not opposed to AAF; I'm just skeptical. They haven't a prayer if all they build is MIA-WPB (after seeing MIA first hand last week, I say a year to go, even if they are saying next Quarter, i.e by June 30) and only a slight one if MIA-ORL is ever completed.

All I ask is keep the Delray Beach "revelers" away from my trains. Anyone else around here know of that entertainment district at Atlantic Ave? The Late Randy Resor (not sure if he was over here) once did as his Mother lived in Delray. He pointed out to me how it parallels the FEC and said before Brightline was ever dreamed of "there's going to be a moose-goosing here one of these days".

Again I say; "get on down" and get your joyrides in.

Edited by GBNorman, 09 February 2018 - 07:27 PM.

#1832 GBNorman

GBNorman

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Interests:Retired CPA; employed within railroad industry 1970-81

Posted 09 February 2018 - 07:25 PM

ANOTHER "WHACK-A-MOLE":

Miami Herald

Fair Use:

The man injured by a Brightline train in Wilton Manors on Thursday had attempted to kill himself when he walked along a stretch of tracks and lay on the metal awaiting an approaching train, police said.

The 48-year-old Broward County resident, whom police have not identified, endured non-fatal injuries when he was struck by the passenger line around 8 p.m. in the 1200 block of Northeast 24th Street. He was taken to Broward Health Medical Center to receive medical treatment and mental health assistance, according to a statement releaed by Wilton Manors Police.

Oh well, at least this one was non-fatal

#1833 JRR

JRR

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 06:55 AM

Amazing that he wasn’t killed. I heard one of our local elected officials declare on the news that “we just have to spend more effort to educate the people about the danger of high speed trains!”

It seems we need to educate her!

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#1834 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,620 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:57 PM

So, of the five "incidents", IIRC two have been...shall we say, intentional. As wacky as this sounds, it almost seems like the message is getting through to well...

Amtrak mileage to date: Somewhere between 120,000 and 150,000 miles...I /really/ need to run all of my trips through a calculator sometime.

...and no, I am not /that/ Anderson...;-)

#1835 chrsjrcj

chrsjrcj

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:37 PM

Brightline has increased prices on the Select fare for certain trains because of high demand. It looks like it only effects the midday trains during the weekends. 

https://www.thenextm...rices-increase/

#1836 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:52 AM

Dang. They're going to out price it fit me before I can get to try it out. :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#1837 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 02:21 PM

Now 6: http://www.palmbeach...ryhfjcOv6XOomN/

This one is trickier. Man was allegedly stopped at a light when the gates came down. Perhaps bad street-signal/Crossing timing? Of course, one should NEVER stop on the tracks, regardless, but could this have been [more] preventable?

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#1838 AGM.12

AGM.12

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 03:58 PM

Doesn't PTC have a feature that would let the engineer know if there is a vehicle in the trains way if it is on the crossing?

#1839 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,120 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:13 PM

Doesn't PTC have a feature that would let the engineer know if there is a vehicle in the trains way if it is on the crossing?

Even if there were such a feature, a vehicle getting in front of the train just before it arrives at the crossing, which is usually the case, would not leave enough time and distance to prevent a collision.

PTC itself does not specifically address grade crossing and other incursions. but there are other overlays that can be plugged into the system to help, just as the same can be done with any cab signaling system with speed enforcement..

#1840 JRR

JRR

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:19 PM

There are signs all over that intersection telling you not to stop on the tracks. I go by there almost every day and see people doing just that.

I am on the 97 right now, just left Sebring. Got on in Winter Park and as the train was pulling into the station, two people ran across the tracks after going around the gates with the train no more than 20 feet from them when they made it across.

No accounting for stupidity!

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users