Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Brightline (FEC) Update

• Please log in to reply
1849 replies to this topic

#1781 AGM.12

AGM.12

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:35 PM

Regardless of whether it is freight or passenger, anytime a new service is started up there will be fatal collisions because the public is not used to that service running. Near where I live, NS started a new intermodal service to Atlanta from Charleston, SC about 30 years ago. During the first month there were, I believe at least two crossing collisions that killed four people simply because they were so used to there not being any trains running during that time of day.

#1782 CSXfoamer1997

CSXfoamer1997

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:59 PM

I've been wondering for a long time. Are the sets semi-permanently attached or are they detachable?

#1783 Blackwolf

Blackwolf

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • Interests:Public Safety, passenger rail, travel, hunting, fishing

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:24 PM

I've been wondering for a long time. Are the sets semi-permanently attached or are they detachable?

I believe they are semi-permanently attached.

Amtrak
Capitol Corridor (too many times to count!); Coast Starlight (x21); California Zephyr (x7); Empire Builder (x2); Lake Shore Limited (x4); Maple Leaf (x1); Adirondack (x2); Cascades (x1); Pacific Surfliner (x6); San Joaquin (x8); Capitol Limited (x1); Cardinal (x2); Acela (x1)
VIA Rail
Ocean (x4); Windsor Corridor (x2); The Canadian (x1)

#1784 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,683 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:07 PM

Yes. They are semi-permanently attached, like the Acelas.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#1785 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:17 AM

So, once again, Congress-Critters are shooting before taking aim. Last year, in South Florida, there were 23 fatalities, spread amongst CSX, FEC, Tri-Rail and Amtrak: http://www.sun-senti...1218-story.html

I think the Feds are upset that a private business could possibly succeed with better, cleaner, faster service.

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#1786 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,141 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:35 AM

?
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#1787 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:57 PM

!

Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#1788 MattW

MattW

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:20 PM

Ok, I pretty much hate brightline's guts over their imposing airport-style security theater and thinking every passenger is potential hair-trigger lunatic, but this is positively NUTS! http://floridapoliti...improvement-tab

Why aren't they demanding the same of Tri-Rail which runs at the same speeds?

Forum's official broken record about expanded Georgia passenger service!

#1789 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:15 AM

Senator Mayfield wants to make sure the mantra of  "no costs to the taxpayers," is followed when it comes to funding the necessary improvements for this  "private" enterprise.

Florida senator says Brightline high-speed rail is not taxpayers' responsibility
Mayfield's proposed legislation calls for safety without 'stopping progress'

Unlike what would have occurred if Scott had accepted the Obama money and built out a high-speed system, All Aboard Florida already had rights to the tracks, so their startup costs were much lower and could be privately funded with no cost to taxpayers.

Sort of.

State Sen. Debbie Mayfield (R-Melbourne) said All Aboard Florida’s Brightline trains will cost taxpayers. Specifically, more trains on the tracks means more maintenance, especially at rail crossings. When maintenance is done on public at-grade crossings, FEC passes all of those costs onto local municipalities, counties and the state.

“It’s inappropriate,” Mayfield said. “All Aboard Florida should bear the cost of maintaining the equipment they’ve installed to run their trains and not push that cost off on the taxpayer.”

On the same day News 6 met with Mayfield, she had just finished a meeting with a representative of one municipality that had recently received a $400,000 bill from FEC for track maintenance.

“That's a cost that a lot of the taxpayers don’t understand,” Mayfield said. “The railroad kind of just gives them a bill and says, ‘Here's your bill, this is what you owe us.’”

Mayfield told News 6 she wants to make sure maintenance and safety costs for Brightline and any other high-speed rail is not dumped on the taxpayers, who “receive no financial benefit from the rail system.”SB 572, The Florida High-Speed Passenger Rail Act, introduced by Mayfield and co-sponsored by state Sen. George Gainer ® Panama City, is expected to be heard in Tallahassee this session.

The bill would require any company operating a high-speed passenger rail system in the state “to be solely responsible for certain maintenance, improvement and upgrade costs.”

Those areas include being accountable and repairing “railroad roadbed, track, and railroad culverts within the confines of the public street or highway,” and “streets or pedestrian grade crossings lying between the rails and for a distance outside the rails of one-foot beyond the end of the railroad tie.”

Mayfield’s office calculated that there are 349 at-grade public crossings between Miami and Cocoa affecting approximately one million taxpayers living in those areas.

“You know, when this train leaves Palm Beach it will not stop until it gets to Orlando,” Mayfield said. “So the train will just be coming through (those communities) without any stops.”

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#1790 chrsjrcj

chrsjrcj

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:11 AM

Ok, I pretty much hate brightline's guts over their imposing airport-style security theater and thinking every passenger is potential hair-trigger lunatic, but this is positively NUTS! http://floridapoliti...improvement-tab

The security is far less intrusive than airports, and even less intrusive than attending a concert or visiting a theme park. You don't have to take any objects out of your pockets, you simply walk through waist high posts.

This same state senator has been trying to push this bill for years now. As it is, municipalities pay for the costs of the railroad crossings, so the $400k bill she's whining about happens with or without Brightline. It's also interesting that the bill changes the definition of high speed rail to include "passenger trains that travel faster than 80 mph that wasn't carrying passengers prior to January 1, 2017." Brightline argues that the bill unfairly targets them, as the only railroad in the state that meets that definition. This is clearly another attempt to shutdown Brightline, or prevent it from traveling through the Treasure Coast. 

#1791 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,683 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:43 AM

I beg to disagree with your assessment. It is clear that you have not been anywhere near Brightline and are just being an armchair jockey on this matter.

There is nothing airport style about the minimal security process.

One has to remember that this is Florida where I have to go through a security checkpost and wanding to get to my doctor’s office in a hospital building to make sure that some lunatic carrying a gun does not manage to get in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Edited by jis, 24 January 2018 - 02:51 AM.

#1792 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:56 AM

Glad you aren't hair-triggered...

#1793 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 01:26 PM

I had to get from Fort Lauderdale to Orlando yesterday so I took Brightline to west palm and walked over to catch the Star from there.

Super impressive operation... If they continue as is, I think it will be extremely popular. Brightline at 79 mph compared to the star at 79 mph is crazy... The Brightline train is crazy smooth.

The operation is very modern... Security is a bit over the top... But such is life.

Stations are awesome with seating areas, charging ports everywhere, a coffee shop / market, even some souvenirs available.

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#1794 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:18 PM

I had to get from Fort Lauderdale to Orlando yesterday so I took Brightline to west palm and walked over to catch the Star from there.

Super impressive operation... If they continue as is, I think it will be extremely popular. Brightline at 79 mph compared to the star at 79 mph is crazy... The Brightline train is crazy smooth.

The operation is very modern... Security is a bit over the top... But such is life.

Stations are awesome with seating areas, charging ports everywhere, a coffee shop / market, even some souvenirs available.

How is security over the top?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

#1795 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,380 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:38 PM

I think it's "over the top" in the sense that for all intents and purposes, many of us have never seen a railroad with more security than a ticket barrier and a K-9 team.  I'm really not sure what that security is for...I'm sort-of wondering what would actually set off those posts, though the bag scanning might be more effective.

That said, I remain worried that since the checkpoints exist, they create a place where it would be easy to implement some lousy security theater later.

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#1796 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,683 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:06 PM

If the risk profile is perceived to increase, say with a few bombs going off on trains, rest assured security theater will increase even if there is nothing in place at present.

In places where there is significant perceived risk one gets to go through metal detectors and get wanded to enter malls and cinema houses too. And this happens in places where there are footfalls beyond anything that most Americans have ever seen. So the argument that to many people etc. does not really stand a chance.

At present all that it will prevent is someone getting into the system with a gun or such.

The fact of the matter is that mainland US is still a relatively safe environment with only stray incidents, and there is very little systemic risks to worry about yet. But that could change as civil society disintegrates, not that it is imminent, but it is within the realm of possibilities. And the danger is going to be primarily from indigenous folks and not from outsiders, but still outsiders will be blamed, since no one likes to admit that they themselves are screwed up.

#1797 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:09 PM

It's just a lot of security for a glorified commuter rail operation. They are all over the place. Security officers were at the entrance where you buy tickets, obviously at the security screening, in the waiting room, and one on each end of the train when boarding / detraining.

The baggage check itself is fine... I was pretty much the only person with a suitcase (I was actually traveling long distance with my transfer ha) and they treated me so nice. They lifted my bag on and off the belt and were very friendly.

Walking through the posts is just.. walking through posts... Hard to complain about that ha.

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#1798 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:25 AM

Though I disagree with Crescent-Zephyr's description to be over the top (Excessive presence may be one thing, but personal intrusion would be my personal over the top factor), I would say that it would be much easier to sabotage a railroad from the outside than from the inside.

I would caution Brightline preventing people from legally carrying a gun onboard the train in a state where it is legal to do so. What's someone going to do? Hold up a train and get off at the next station? Pull the emergency? Seriously, I don't think there's been a train robbery in over 100 years.

Edited by VentureForth, 29 January 2018 - 09:27 AM.

#1799 chrsjrcj

chrsjrcj

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:13 AM

https://en.m.wikiped...ys_train_attack

#1800 GBNorman

GBNorman

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:39 AM

I did take the joyride outlined earlier at this topic.

I must agree that Brightline is a Class Act. While I haven't been on Acela this decade, I think Brightline has it topped.

But simply because they are Class hardly means that they are providing meaningful transportation offering joyrides. As I write, I am looking at the construction site called Miami Central. Volks, it ain't going to.be ready anytime soon - and who knows when or if it will move forth to Orlando. There are too many barriers

That there have been three fatalities in about as many weeks. I cringed when the train bisected an entertainment district at Delray Beach at track speed. Someone with a bit too much firewater is going to have things go bad - and that is going to cost AAF some whopper bucks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users