Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Brightline (FEC) Update

• Please log in to reply
1776 replies to this topic

#1761 chrsjrcj

chrsjrcj

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:39 AM

Miami only requires 3 trainsets, and I believe all 5 trainsets have been commissioned by this point. Also, MIA to WPB will only be the current 4 coaches. When Orlando happens, they are expected to add 1 smart coach, 1 select coach, and some type of cafe car (I don't know if they determined the exact configuration they want to go with. Maybe the new Midwest/California order will give a clue.)

I know that before December, they were running all the way to just before where the ramp up to the Miami station starts. They may have run a couple of trains that way since then. I still don't believe construction on the station is finished. This blog has been taking pictures regularly of the construction progress- https://www.goldendu...rq=MiamiCentral

#1762 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:30 PM

Was there bilingual signage in Spanish?

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#1763 chrsjrcj

chrsjrcj

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:52 PM

Actually, none that I noticed. The automated announcements are all done in English. Comparatively on Tri-Rail, there are certain announcements in English, Spanish, and Creole. 

#1764 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,342 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:59 PM

@Chriscrj: That makes sense.  I couldn't recall if there was going to be a "dedicated" food car or not (e.g. I expected some dedicated food service space, particularly if  but the form that was to take wasn't entirely certain).  I think there might have originally been a plan to have another coach on the WPB-MIA run and they revised the plan.  I figured they'd need some space to store the meals they indicated would be included with Select on the run to Orlando, but beyond that I didn't know what they'd actually need (or if their needs had changed since the planning phase started).

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#1765 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,514 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:55 PM

Actually, none that I noticed. The automated announcements are all done in English. Comparatively on Tri-Rail, there are certain announcements in English, Spanish, and Creole. 

The platform number signs at the platforms have Spanish “Linea” as I recall from my private tour back in September with the FECRS folks. Don’t recall anything else off the top of my head.

Given that it is Miami-Dade they should probably have more Spanish signage.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#1766 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 02:04 PM

Wow... With regards to the woman struck and killed on Friday night...

http://www.mypalmbea...jn21G2jSEp7T3O/

What a man! :angry2: :angry2:

Edited by VentureForth, 17 January 2018 - 02:05 PM.

Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#1767 CSXfoamer1997

CSXfoamer1997

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:40 PM

Wow! Brightline is just starting and there are already pedestrian or trespasser strikes! Why does this keep happening?! This really needs to stop!

#1768 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,745 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted Yesterday, 09:47 PM

It would be notable if it wasn't happening.

People are stupid/suicidal. No great surprise.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#1769 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted Today, 06:27 AM

Wow! Brightline is just starting and there are already pedestrian or trespasser strikes! Why does this keep happening?! This really needs to stop!

If you can figure out how to do it, be sure and contact FRA. Nobody has been successful yet. Tri-Rail has had 40 deaths.

Suicide by train.

Inattention

People just not realizing how fast a train is and how far to get across the tracks.

Impatience

Stupidity.

All are causes. None will ever be cured IMHO.

#1770 MattW

MattW

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted Today, 07:59 AM

Put thick fencing along the RoW. I don't mean chainlink that can be cut with pliers, I mean thick steel rail fencing, 7 feet tall, like this: https://www.homedepo...X58US/205998435. Run a wire through each segment so if it's cut, the wire breaks and triggers an alert. Not enough to stop trains like a slide detector, but enough to send a crew out to at least fix it, and/or the police out to see if someone's still around. Also, 4-quadrant gates at every intersection with sidewalk gates where applicable. Couple this with heavy police enforcement of not sitting on the tracks. I'd also add CCTV along the entire stretch of line with the images cycling like 3 minutes ahead of any trains to see any obstructions with enough time to stop if need be.

Forum's official broken record about expanded Georgia passenger service!

#1771 PerRock

PerRock

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Rail, Auran Trainz, Traveling, Graphic Design

Posted Today, 09:04 AM

Put thick fencing along the RoW. I don't mean chainlink that can be cut with pliers, I mean thick steel rail fencing, 7 feet tall, like this: https://www.homedepo...X58US/205998435. Run a wire through each segment so if it's cut, the wire breaks and triggers an alert. Not enough to stop trains like a slide detector, but enough to send a crew out to at least fix it, and/or the police out to see if someone's still around. Also, 4-quadrant gates at every intersection with sidewalk gates where applicable. Couple this with heavy police enforcement of not sitting on the tracks. I'd also add CCTV along the entire stretch of line with the images cycling like 3 minutes ahead of any trains to see any obstructions with enough time to stop if need be.

The UK has fenced off it's entire rail network (or just about all of it) in urban areas they're using fencing like this. Sure it isn't pretty, but it's a lot harder to cut or climb over.

grp%20fence.JPG

(Image found on Google, sorry about the size)

peter

Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.

http://www.amtraktrainz.com

#1772 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,541 posts

Posted Today, 09:04 AM

If only it was affordable.

#1773 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,745 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted Today, 09:09 AM

That sounds prohibitively expensive.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#1774 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,342 posts

Posted Today, 12:34 PM

I agree...people need to stop trying to "beat the train".  Every major railroad has pedestrian strikes/trespasser incidents and, to a lesser extent, vehicle hits at grade crossings.  You can try fencing off chunks of the network (I'm not sure of the benefit or utility of trying to do so in tens of thousands of miles of rural areas, but at least in urban-ish areas it's theoretically an option), but dealing with all of the grade crossings in every significant city in America would be absurdly expensive, not to mention grossly disruptive to many towns (e.g. Ashland, VA).

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#1775 MattW

MattW

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted Today, 02:32 PM

I didn't say it'd be cheap, I said that's how you do it. Another alternative is to slow all the trains down to 5mph and surround them with 20ft of foam rubber and bubble wrap...but that's what PTC is for.

Forum's official broken record about expanded Georgia passenger service!

#1776 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,541 posts

Posted Today, 03:44 PM

This may be a way to recycle rail. https://www.google.c...!7i13312!8i6656
This is close to my school when I was growing up in Japan. Notice on the street side, they are using old rail with rebar through them. On the other side of the tracks are concrete pylons with concrete ties, but there is a string of barbed wire at the top. Neither are that tumultuous to climb over. I suppose it's a cultural thing. But they get their fair share of suicides in Japan as well. Not as many trespasser incidents, but enough intentional infractions. But even that has taken a bit of a downward curve, as families are billed for cleanup by the railroad. As selfish an act suicide is, this burden causes many to think before they dishonor their family.

#1777 WoodyinNYC

WoodyinNYC

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted Today, 03:44 PM

The plan is to fence off the 110-mph Lincoln route St Louis-CHI in its second phase, if there ever is such a thing. All the work to date was built leaving space for the desired fencing. But even in phase one they bragged that a good many miles are already fenced off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users