Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Brightline (FEC) Update

• Please log in to reply
2212 replies to this topic

#1721 chrsjrcj

chrsjrcj

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:09 AM

I was finally able to get it to work. Did everything but go through with purchase a ticket. A few notes:

1) Looks like there is a 10% discount for NARP members, Seniors, and Military

2) After entering passenger information, it takes you to the payment page. If you look at the top of the screen, you can go back and select seats.

3) The direction of travel on the seat selection page may be wrong. The Select coach is at the south end, but it looks like it displays it at the north end. Of course, I could be looking at it wrong. 

Edited by chrsjrcj, 11 January 2018 - 09:10 AM.

#1722 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,482 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:16 AM

Brightline ticket and schedule information is now available on their website. Service starts Saturday.

gobrightline.com

That website still needs some work. I tried to make a trial booking but ran into a bug and crashed my browser.

Browsers should really not crash. Time to file a bug report to the purveyors of the browser too I am afraid. ;)

#1723 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,763 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:20 AM

Yeah - It opens for me, and the site crashes when I try to pull in reservation request. I expect a few bugs today. Seems to be just a a teaser shell of a site.

I'm most interested in initial fares...

Interestingly, on the schedules pages, there is a link (inactive, of course) "To track an actual train". I dunno about others, but this seems to indicate a very low expectation to ontime service. Just more typical "American style railroading".

Edited by VentureForth, 11 January 2018 - 09:29 AM.

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#1724 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:33 AM

Interesting that journey time is 40 minutes rather than the announced 30 minutes. I wonder if this be tightened up later, or whether the 30 minutes announced were more a ballpark sort of estimate?

Also interesting that the schedule appears to be houly throughout the day, with only two (consecutive) turns missing in the early afternnon.

Lunch break for the operating staff maybe?

Edited by cirdan, 11 January 2018 - 09:33 AM.

#1725 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,482 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:33 AM

Yup. Heavy on graphics, but light on functionality that actually works, at present, for sure. Though, the basic functionality of purchasing tickets and selecting seats works fine.

It does crash Firefox under certain circumstances. but then many things crash Firefox these days, even when it is not in one of its memory leak cycles, which sometimes brings it to a standstill - often triggered by Facebook!

I doubt the WPB - FLL running time will ever be less than 33 minutes or so, since that would require running faster than the speed limit. The schedule time from WPB to Miami Central I believe will be one hour, when that starts up.

The schedule is currently hourly on weekdays, except the two turns midday that are missing, and every 90 minutes on weekends.

The fare is $15 Select, $10 Smart one way irrespective of day of journey.

Edited by jis, 11 January 2018 - 09:46 AM.

#1726 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:35 PM

They've acknowledged the problems with accessibility by a post on Facebook.  

Edited by Palmetto, 11 January 2018 - 03:36 PM.

#1727 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,763 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:08 AM

There are a lot of available seats on the trains tomorrow.....

But holy crap! Hotels are from $150+++ EXPENSIVE for a Red Roof Inn!

Edited by VentureForth, 12 January 2018 - 10:55 AM.

Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#1728 chrsjrcj

chrsjrcj

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:29 PM

It looks like Brightline CEO Dave Howard is out, and COO Patrick Goddard is now President and COO. This news flew under the radar.

https://gobrightline.com/about-us/

The private rail service also announced yet another leadership change. COO Patrick Goddard will take over as president, replacing former sports executive Dave Howard, who joined the company in March as CEO. Howard replaced Mike Reininger, who became executive director of Brightline parent FECI.

"As we launch this new service, Patrick Goddard will lead Brightline as the President and COO. Dave Howard was instrumental over the past year in transforming the company into the vibrant operation you see here today," said a Brightline spokesman via a statement. Howard is no longer with the company, he said.

http://www.miamihera...e194068174.html

#1729 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,655 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:03 PM

The good news: I'm on the first train (WPB-FLL, 8:00 AM on Saturday) and the ticket was $13.50 (really not a bad deal for a 2-1 seat).

The bad news: Now I need to get down to Florida to take that train...which is presently involving a horribly-delayed JetBlah flight (you know it's bad when I'm thinking "I should have just flown American...").

Amtrak mileage to date: Somewhere between 120,000 and 150,000 miles...I /really/ need to run all of my trips through a calculator sometime.

...and no, I am not /that/ Anderson...;-)

#1730 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:07 PM

I thought tickets were either $15 or $10, depending on the class of service.  And Jet Blue was just given the dubious honor of being the worst airline in the country by the WSJ, if you can believe that.

#1731 chrsjrcj

chrsjrcj

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:48 PM

POTUS is coming to town this evening. If you're flying into PBIA, that certainly doesn't help. Also be wary of the traffic on Southern.

Of course, if there are any movements from Mar-a-lago to the Trump Golf Course this weekend, Brightline, I-95, Tri-Rail, side streets all stop until the motorcade passes. It will be interesting to see if there is any interference on the 1st day of service. 

#1732 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:15 PM

They want your date of birth? I couldn't see any way around that.

#1733 GBNorman

GBNorman

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:Retired CPA; employed within railroad industry 1970-81

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:50 PM

OK everybody; the AAF site appears to be "up and running" and I have taken the occasion to plot out an AAF joyride for Sunday January 28:

Station----------Time-- -Carrier

Arsht Center-----910A----Metro Mover
Govt Center------925
-----------------934-----Metro Rail
Airport----------948
----------------1017-----Tri Rail
Ft Lauderdale---1105
FTL AAF Stn-----1225P----AAF
WPB AAF----------105
FTL AAF Stn------240
Ft Lauderdale-- -356-----Tri Rail
Airport----------450
-----------------516-----Metro Rail
Govt Center------531
-----------------545--- -Metro Mover
Arsht Center-----600P

Nine hours on my only free day; tempting if I were more the railfan; otherwise "too much".

Edited by PRR 60, 15 January 2018 - 08:06 AM.
Added code box for table

#1734 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,655 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:43 PM

I flew into FLL.  My flight was about an hour and a half late.  Mom and Dad are going to drive me to the WPB station in the morning and then pick me up from the one at FLL (we're going to time how much longer it takes them to get to FLL than it takes the train), I'm going to take the train, and then I'm on an early-afternoon flight home.

JetBlah's Mint product is amazing; otherwise, they really just specialize at "not sucking in coach" (and if the prices hadn't been in walk-up nosebleed territory, I'd rather have been up front on AA or DL than anywhere on a mid-haul B6 flight).

Amtrak mileage to date: Somewhere between 120,000 and 150,000 miles...I /really/ need to run all of my trips through a calculator sometime.

#1735 Caesar La Rock

Caesar La Rock

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:36 AM

This didn't take long.

https://www.nbcmiami...-469074483.html

#1736 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:40 AM

This is becoming a daily event in Florida, it seems.  

#1737 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,763 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:13 AM

Are you onboard, Anderson?

This is becoming a daily event in Florida, it seems.

Meanwhile, on the left side of the state, a man was attacked by a bear.

Edited by VentureForth, 13 January 2018 - 08:16 AM.

#1738 chrsjrcj

chrsjrcj

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:44 AM

I too was on the first run, round trip. Bright Red both ways. Light load in the Smart coaches, but it looked like the Select coach was sold out. I clocked us 35 minutes from end to end both ways.

I didnt see an advantage to Select for such a smart trip, but maybe when Miami or Orlando happens it will be worth it.

The security check point is not invasive at all, and does not compare to entering a sporting event or concert. You simply walk through the waist high posts. No taking anything out of your pockets. If youre not carrying a bag, youd probably wouldnt even notice you went through it.

#1739 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,655 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:01 PM

@Chriscrj: I was onboard, but I was up in Select with my parents.  It was an extra $4.50/seat each way, and the mix of lounge access and a set of free drinks did make it worthwhile to me.  The nicer seats helped, too.

I'll concur with your comments about the security checkpoint, but it really raises the question of "Why bother?" at some point.  I presume that the posts could pick up a gun or a large explosive, but I'm not even sure what else they'd catch.

I checked the run on my phone...we got up to about 80 (the GPS said 83 MPH once each way, but I think that's noise) and the average speed each way was about 72 MPH...so I figure it'll probably end up being around 70 MPH West Palm-Miami including the Fort Lauderdale stop.  One thing I can't recall is if they intended to have top speeds at 79 or 90 on the section north of Fort Lauderdale (I don't recall whether 90 was talked about at one time or another).  I know they're gunning for 110 on the FEC main and 125 on the Orlando-Cocoa segment.

Still, 35 minutes end-to-end is amazing (it's 42 miles or thereabouts) and I think once they extend to Miami they'll be able to bump fares up with higher load factors.

#1740 Pere Flyer

Pere Flyer

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Interests:Writing, dancing, traveling

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:08 PM

Pardon me if I sound like a fool. Does Brightline now have exclusive ROW on its routes? (i.e. no freights or Amtrak?)

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Pere Marquette: 370 (CHI, HOM, GRR); 371 (GRR, HOM, CHI) | Heartland Flyer: 821 (OKC, NOR, FTW); 822 (FTW, NOR, OKC) | Texas Eagle: 21 (CHI, FTW, SAS); 22 (SAS, FTW, AUS, CHI) Cardinal: 50 (CHI, IND, CIN)

SS Line | TRE | DART | MTA | NJT | DC Metro | MBTA | CTA | RTD | MARTA | QLine | Paris Métropolitain | Barcelona Metro | GLI | Jefferson Lines | Ambustitution

5 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

jmenjes, Pere Flyer