Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Brightline (FEC) Update

• Please log in to reply
1627 replies to this topic

#1601 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:35 PM

So will we be able to be on it?

The latest seems to be near the end of the year. We'll be in Ft. Lauderdale taking a cruise and only have Nov 25th and 26th to try it out as we return via Amtrak on the 27th. We'd sure love to take a spin in it.

I have no idea. Hopefully I'll know more about it after 23rd of Sept FECRS Convention which will have a major set of tours and events with Brightline.

My guess, after a quick visit to the construction site of Miami Central Stations, is that Miami Central still has at least a couple more months of construction work to go before it becomes ready for prime time.

Thanks. We'll be happy with FTL to WPB if they decide to open that before Miami is finished.

#1602 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,477 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:13 AM

So I'm sure this has been discussed already somewhere in the previous 80 pages, but I understand the initial consists will be two locos and four coaches? First class and a diner a part of this? The most important question is, how many coaches can the platforms hold? And, if, say they can only hold 10 max, is there room beyond the platform for the loco's to overhang for a 10+2 consist should demand require it in the future?

Edited by VentureForth, 23 August 2017 - 07:14 AM.

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#1603 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,178 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:24 AM

No Diner.

Can't answer the second question for another few weeks. Will know the details after attending the FECRS Annual Conference in Miami third weekend of September.

#1604 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,749 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:47 AM

I would assume an actual diner is not anywhere in the plans, although I assume eventually snack service will become available when the route expands to Orlando or Jax.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#1605 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:23 AM

Brightline's already got pictures of snacks, but I've been wondering how you could fit even a snack into the time it takes to get, say, from West Palm Beach to Fort Lauderdale. I know we're not used to getting anywhere so fast (on Amtrak) that there's no time for a dining car meal, but no way we can do it on Brightline--this will be completely new territory for us! :P

Edited by Mystic River Dragon, 25 August 2017 - 09:23 AM.

#1606 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,178 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:24 AM

I would assume an actual diner is not anywhere in the plans, although I assume eventually snack service will become available when the route expands to Orlando or Jax.

That is my understanding. But I will know more after attending the FECRS Annual Meeting the third weekend of Sept.

For the WPM - MC service there is no food service car.

#1607 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 11:17 AM

I think, although I might be wrong, that they were showing pictures of snacks they would hand out to first-class passengers (not a food service car, just an attendant handing out the snacks). But even then, that would be hard to do in a half-hour trip unless they throw the snacks out after you as you detrain :P.

#1608 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 08:02 PM

I think, although I might be wrong, that they were showing pictures of snacks they would hand out to first-class passengers (not a food service car, just an attendant handing out the snacks). But even then, that would be hard to do in a half-hour trip unless they throw the snacks out after you as you detrain :P.

If they're getting snacks I don't see why the passengers travelling 1 1/2 hours+ on the A train in New York can't also get food service.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Amtrak Forum mobile app
Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SJC-LAX, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB MSP-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS-ALB, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-DNC, SM ORL-NYP, SS FTL-WAS
New Routes: LSL NYP-CHI, CZ CHI-RIC, CS SJC-SEA, EB SEA-MSP

#1609 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,557 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 27 August 2017 - 09:53 PM

They can.

Just as soon as NY state decides to pay for the service.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#1610 Caesar La Rock

Caesar La Rock

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:09 PM

Not to go off topic, but we'll be lucky if the Second Avenue Subway even gets completed in our life time. Although, technically food service for the subway is more or less covered by news stands at select subway stations, if you consider candy and snacks food along with sodas, juice, and water for drinks. It's not exactly glamorous, but it's what the MTA can do at it's current form.

Edited by Caesar La Rock, 27 August 2017 - 11:09 PM.

#1611 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:10 AM

If they're getting snacks I don't see why the passengers travelling 1 1/2 hours+ on the A train in New York can't also get food service.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Amtrak Forum mobile app

As soon as you pay as much for the A train as you will for Brightline, you will get food included.

#1612 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,178 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:59 PM

Here is the program for the FECRS Annual Convention this coming weekend:

http://mailchi.mp/7a...-is-open-178505

Unfortunately the tours are now closed, fully subscribed. We have an entire day of tours covering Brightline, including visit to their WPB Shops including train sets, as well as the WPB Station.

While at it I am acquiring my own head gear, protective eye gear and safety vest, as well as a Convention shirt of course.

Will keep all posted on what I see and learn.

BTW, FECR and AAF have created a jointly owned subsidiary named Florida Dispatch Company, which is taking over all dispatching duties on FECR and AAF trackage.

Edited by jis, 19 September 2017 - 08:29 AM.

#1613 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,178 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:16 AM

Here are some pictures that I took at the Brightline facilities in West Palm Beach.

Brightline rolling stock at their maintenance facility:

https://www.facebook...&type=3

Brightline West Palm Beach Station:

https://www.facebook...&type=3

Hopefully the photos are visible to all.

#1614 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,477 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:21 AM

Very nice! Thanks for sharing!

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#1615 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,178 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:05 PM

Bright red is on its way from California to Florida....

http://gobrightline....-south-florida/

#1616 MattW

MattW

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:10 PM

Thanks for the pics Jis, I can now confirm I will never ride brightline. Not going to put up with tsa-style antics.

Forum's official broken record about expanded Georgia passenger service!

#1617 bretton88

bretton88

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:45 PM

Thanks for the pics Jis, I can now confirm I will never ride brightline. Not going to put up with tsa-style antics.

This is starting to become more common for High Speed Services in Europe (thanks to terrorism fears). It's an incredibly painless process, especially compared to TSA. You put your baggage on the belt and pick it up on the other side, you personally don't get checked. Hopefully they make it painless.

If I won the lottery, I'd probably build a passenger from nowhere to nowhere.

#1618 MattW

MattW

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:24 PM

The caption indicates they're using millimeter wave scanners, no reason to use that technology except on people.

Forum's official broken record about expanded Georgia passenger service!

#1619 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,178 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 12:19 AM

This is starting to become more common for High Speed Services in Europe (thanks to terrorism fears). It's an incredibly painless process, especially compared to TSA. You put your baggage on the belt and pick it up on the other side, you personally don't get checked. Hopefully they make it painless.
The bags go through standard X-ray scan on the belt. You walk between two innocuous looking posts that are about four and a half to five feet tall and that is the millimeter wave scanner. You can walk through it without emptying your pockets or anything like that. See the photo that I have at West Palm Beach station that has the bag belt in it. The posts next to it is the mm wave scanner.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Edited by jis, 02 October 2017 - 06:27 AM.

#1620 MARC Rider

MARC Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:45 AM

Brightline's already got pictures of snacks, but I've been wondering how you could fit even a snack into the time it takes to get, say, from West Palm Beach to Fort Lauderdale. I know we're not used to getting anywhere so fast (on Amtrak) that there's no time for a dining car meal, but no way we can do it on Brightline--this will be completely new territory for us! :P

I have purchased stuff from the cafe car on the Northeast Regional on trips between Washington and Baltimore.  

Back in 1975, I used to ride the Merchant's Limited between Philadelphia and New York and was able to have a full sit-down dining car meal served to me while the train was traveling between Trenton and Newark.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users