#1561 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:06 PM

Now that's a nice looking train!

(was that bridge once fully double tracked?)

SJ - Norra Stambanan, Nordvästra stambanan, Södra stambanan, Dalabanan

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

#1562 chrsjrcj

chrsjrcj

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:58 AM

Yes, I believe all the drawbridges were once double tracked. The New River bridge in Fort Lauderdale still is. 

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet, new photos of the West Palm Beach station: https://therealdeal....mpleted-photos/

I drive by it every few days. The parking garage/apartment complex is massive. I can see the two cranes a couple miles away when I'm approaching downtown. 

#1563 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 02:03 PM

The station is rather striking - why weren't the tracks roofed as well?

Is the statement about highway infrastructure true or a bit hyped up?

SJ - Norra Stambanan, Nordvästra stambanan, Södra stambanan, Dalabanan

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

#1564 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:42 AM

The station looks impressive. I wish them every success with this.

#1565 jphjaxfl

jphjaxfl

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • Interests:Rail passenger advocate for modern, reliable passenger trains that will allow for business or leasure travel. I have been riding trains for over 60 years, but I am not advocating going back to what we once had, rather an updated system similar to Europe, Japan, China, India and other nations with great passenger train systems.

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:47 AM

The station is rather striking - why weren't the tracks roofed as well?

Is the statement about highway infrastructure true or a bit hyped up?

The traffic through the West Palm Beach to Miami corridor on both I-95 and the Florida Turnpike which is further west but parallels I95 can be extremely congested all hours of the day specially in the winters months.  Brightline has been needed for years.

#1566 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,503 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:45 AM

Congestion on the highway is actually getting pretty bad even north of West Palm beach, all the way to Jupiter and even St. Lucie.

FDOT projects that by 2025 traffic congestion will stretch all the way north to the Melbourne-Palm bay area on I95, even in spite of the frantic addition of a third lane in each direction all the way to Cocoa. Already we have traffic blocked somewhere or the other in Brevard County more than one day a week due to accidents, often fatal, on I-95. Which of course plays havoc on local roads too as clueless people try to find ways around the blockage.

#1567 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 02:25 PM

Florida is one of those states that still thinks they can pave its way to mobility.   ;)

#1568 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 26 May 2017 - 05:02 PM

Good transportation plans include paved roads. Also tracks and feet. Integrated solutions are best.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#1569 Caesar La Rock

Caesar La Rock

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:22 AM

Florida is one of those states that still thinks they can pave its way to mobility.   ;)

And it's backfiring real quick. I can't walk two miles in either direction without seeing roadside memorials. That's just in Orlando, I heard its worst in South Florida.

#1570 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:44 PM

Going to Ft Lauderdale in November on a cruise. We get back to FTL at 7AM but don't want to trust that we can get off and over to the Amtrak station for an 8:30AM Meteor so we'll stay a night in FTL. If Brightline is running, would give us a good chance to take a round trip to Miami to try it out!

#1571 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,503 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:58 AM

By November Brightline should be running the entire Phase I route between Brightline WPB and Miami Central.

#1572 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,503 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 09:00 AM

And it's backfiring real quick. I can't walk two miles in either direction without seeing roadside memorials. That's just in Orlando, I heard its worst in South Florida.

Yeah. FDOT thinks that their entire participation in the NOL - ORL service development should consist of sending an occasional FOIA tog et access to all documents of the Southern Rail Commission, as if they are holding back anything from the public in the first place. Idiots.

#1573 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,196 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:02 PM

So, are we hearing anything about a start date?  They've said July several times and I know they've got several trainsets in possession now (how many do they need to make the MIA-WBP service a go?  Three or four?), but I'm getting antsy...I'll make a minor mess of some travel plans in July to be down there if I can, but that also sort-of requires that I know where I need to be and when I need to be there.

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#1574 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,503 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 06:12 AM

July is only WPB - FLL. MIA is a couple of months later as I recall. Haven't heard anything further about either of the start dates.

#1575 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:23 PM

Yes the Jupiter river bridge was double track. In fact at one time most of FEC was double track right hand running. Some track near Jacksonville was single track. No CTC As I recall until after the FEC strike. Plans are the have whole line Miami - Cocoa 2 main tracks bi-directional CTC. Single track CTC with sidings ( spacing unknown ) Cocoa - Orlando

#1576 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,503 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:41 PM

Yes the Jupiter river bridge was double track. In fact at one time most of FEC was double track right hand running. Some track near Jacksonville was single track. No CTC As I recall until after the FEC strike. Plans are the have whole line Miami - Cocoa 2 main tracks bi-directional CTC. Single track CTC with sidings ( spacing unknown ) Cocoa - Orlando

You need to go and read the AAF EIS more carefully ;)

#1577 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,503 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:03 PM

Inauguration of service on Brightline between Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach is slated for late July, followed by a late August extension of service to Miami Central

http://www.progressi...lynews3/13/2017

#1578 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,441 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:39 PM

Hmmm... Should I try day one of the inaugural service at 46 miles, or wait 'til Miami begins at 71 miles...

Edited by VentureForth, 19 June 2017 - 02:40 PM.

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#1579 A Voice

A Voice

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:13 PM

Hmmm... Should I try day one of the inaugural service at 46 miles, or wait 'til Miami begins at 71 miles...

What, you're only riding once.....   :)

#1580 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,441 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:16 PM

What, you're only riding once.....   :)
Lol! Good point!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users