1592 replies to this topic

#1521 Caesar La Rock

Caesar La Rock

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 01:47 PM

Wasn't sure where the Brightline station was, but I did take these pictures of the construction at the airport in February onboard a Lynx bus (FastLink 407). I'll do another ride onboard the 407 to take more shots of the construction soon.

33621472732_c14332e126_c.jpg

33621474122_e66bb9f165_c.jpg

Edited by Caesar La Rock, 01 April 2017 - 01:50 PM.

#1522 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,198 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 06:24 PM

Ding!  The people mover goes in right behind the "Intermodal Terminal Facility" per the article below.

http://www.bizjourna...lex-photos.html

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#1523 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,505 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 01 April 2017 - 11:00 PM

An article on AAF/Brightline by the Mayor of Cocoa:

http://www.floridato...-jobs/99844848/

There are many of us in Brevard County who utterly reject the nonsensical bill being pushed by Debbie Mayfield to pander to the NIMBYs of Martin and Indian River Counties.

#1524 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,198 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 03:26 AM

There are many of us in Brevard County who utterly reject the nonsensical bill being pushed by Debbie Mayfield to pander to the NIMBYs of Martin and Indian River Counties.

This verges into politics, but...

Given that district, my opinion (and it being just that, an opinion) is that there needs to be a concerted effort to primary her.  The seat is a safe deep red one (she won by close to 2:1) so you're not going to get rid of her in the general election.

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#1525 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,441 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:57 AM

Apparently you either don't read my detailed responses to your questions or have a short memory.

In response to your past questions I have posted a diagram showing the route of the railroad on the airport property, and the fact that the South Terminal is a new terminal that is under construction far removed from the current North Terminal. I guess we can expect to get this same question and confusion from you in another three months again?

Indeed, I missed your response to my query back in January, and, I was not able to see the ppt from September 2015 because it's blocked on my work PC, as are, unfortunately, Cesar LaRock's images from three posts ago.

Thank you for your patience.

Edited by VentureForth, 04 April 2017 - 07:58 AM.

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#1526 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,441 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:00 AM

Given that district, my opinion (and it being just that, an opinion) is that there needs to be a concerted effort to primary her.  The seat is a safe deep red one (she won by close to 2:1) so you're not going to get rid of her in the general election.

There are plenty of Red politicians that support rail transport. Heck, Debbie may even believe in it herself. But she's supporting what her constituents want. Perhaps by a 2:1 margin. Mr. Parrish's piece in Florida Today makes perfect economic sense, and hopefully it will either persuade her people or at least keep them from getting their own stinkin' way.

Edited by VentureForth, 04 April 2017 - 08:07 AM.

Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#1527 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,198 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:25 PM

There are plenty of Red politicians that support rail transport. Heck, Debbie may even believe in it herself. But she's supporting what her constituents want. Perhaps by a 2:1 margin. Mr. Parrish's piece in Florida Today makes perfect economic sense, and hopefully it will either persuade her people or at least keep them from getting their own stinkin' way.

As much as I hate to hit on this, the question isn't "do my voters support X", it is "how much do they care about X" and "in what context can I frame X".  Moreover, in the context of the Florida legislature (with its heavy term limits) she's arguably only risking a single far-off re-election for a project that (1) is likely to end up being popular down the line, (2) which quiet inaction would probably not attract much notice, and (3) where she could probably get away with a line to the effect of "Look, I'm not a fan of this project but it isn't the job of the legislature to throw arbitrary roadblocks in the way of a private company using their property legitimately."  I highly doubt she was elected solely, or even primarily, on the rail issue.

#1528 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,505 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:46 PM

I don't know where the 2:1 support for opposing Brightline comes from. It is just a random number perhaps derived from her vote margin and is nonsensical. But again this lune if discussion is a bit off base in this thread I think.

#1529 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,198 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:06 PM

VentureForth was, AFAICT, extrapolating.  Extrapolation is always dangerous, as we know...

Anyhow, my point was more getting at the fact that this is likely a low-salience issue and I'm hard-pressed to excuse her actions on "representing her constituents" on what is likely a low-salience issue that has a good chance of flipping in the space of 3-4 years, particularly with the presumed likely addition of a station or two between West Palm Beach and Orlando.  I've just got a hard time excusing something like this in context...really, a harder time than I do have excusing some of the CAHSR stuff because there I can at least see the reaction to the price tag and mismanagement (apparent and actual) and misrepresentation of the cost from the start.

Edit: To be fair, I've seen surveys which hint at strong opposition in a few of those counties, but I don't recall the methodology or sample sizes.

Edited by Anderson, 05 April 2017 - 09:27 PM.

#1530 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,505 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:23 PM

If you follow the money and see who funded her, the reason might become a bit more obvious ;) she is no different from any other politician left or right or center.

Edited by jis, 05 April 2017 - 09:24 PM.

#1531 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,458 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:27 AM

Honest, true, and selflessly serving her constituents to the detriment of large corporations and special interest groups? ;)
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#1532 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,441 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:14 AM

Well, my point in extrapolating the margin was to bound the probable limits of the opposition. Again, I don't doubt that there are plenty of NIMBY's who would rather wait for the droll of a 35 MPH freight train fouling the grade crossings that have been there for 100 years than a sleek new 25 second inconvenience of a superfast, sleek, new train. I think that despite the efforts of Ms Debbie, the long term success of Brightline will be well received.

Now - how does Amtrak feel about Brightline stealing market share - not just from Orlando to Miami, but taking the main purpose of the Silver Star away?

Anyone have any cost/speed comparison estimates?

Currently, the Star makes the trip from Miami to Tampa (146 miles) in nearly 6 hours without delay (5 hours, 47 minutes) with fares ranging from $35-$57 (I'm almost upset how cheap folks can ride in FL!).

Miami to Orlando on the Meteor is 5 hours 25 minutes (265 miles) and cost ranges $37-59.

Brightline MIA-TPA will be around 315 miles. Wonder how long it'll take and what the cost will be?

Edited by VentureForth, 06 April 2017 - 09:32 AM.

#1533 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,458 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:04 AM

I would suspect that Amtrak would prefer to run a 5-sleeper, 2-diner (or diner/table), 8-coach (16 is the limit, right?) Silver Meteor than the pair of trains.

Actually, I think the route would probably best be served by a Coast line New York - Savannah day train (Palmetto) a Miami - Florence NC day train, and a Washington-Orlando day train, all running coach, business, baggage, and a cafe like the Silver Star's and a night train that ran from New York to Miami (bag, 5 sleepers, diner, table, lounge, 8 coaches) on the Silver Star's schedule to Miami, but skipping Tampa (assuming something else serves Orlando/Tampa).

Then you would have 4 frequencies on the route, one more in total than now. You would triple the frequency between Florence and Orlando, lose no specific service, still have a night train on the only schedule that actually makes sense, and I haven't done the math carefully but I don't think you'd need extra cars.- you might even need less, until your ridership ramps on intermediate traffic due to a more convienent schedule between Florida and other southern states.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#1534 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:20 AM

Well, my point in extrapolating the margin was to bound the probable limits of the opposition. Again, I don't doubt that there are plenty of NIMBY's who would rather wait for the droll of a 35 MPH freight train fouling the grade crossings that have been there for 100 years than a sleek new 25 second inconvenience of a superfast, sleek, new train. I think that despite the efforts of Ms Debbie, the long term success of Briteline will be well received.

Now - how does Amtrak feel about Briteline stealing market share - not just from Orlando to Miami, but taking the main purpose of the Silver Star away?

Currently, the Star makes the trip from Miami to Tampa (146 miles) in nearly 6 hours without delay (5 hours, 47 minutes) with fares ranging from $35-$57 (I'm almost upset how cheap folks can ride in FL!).

Miami to Orlando on the Meteor is 5 hours 25 minutes (265 miles) and cost ranges $37-59.

Briteline MIA-TPA will be around 315 miles. Wonder how long it'll take and what the cost will be?

I think Brightline will take away the purpose of the SM more than the SS, even if it goes go Tampa. If Amtrak could get FEC to agree to it, I think it would make sense to operate the SM discharge/recieve only down the FEC (I seriously doubt FEC would allow Amtrak to carry intra-Florida passengers). Then the SM could be the Miami express train and the SS could be the Tampa and Orlando train. The only adjustment that would probably be necessary is to move the SS an hour earlier northbound so it could connect to the CL (I think this should happen even with the current set-up).

As to the Brightline Tampa extension, I doubt it would be more than an hour and a half to Orlando which would put the entire route to Miami at four and a half hours, over an hour faster than Amtrak. It would also stop in the South Florida downtowns and have far more frequencies. The only way Amtrak could compete is if the tickets were priced significantly lower or if Brightline consistently sold out. Also, Tampa to Miami is about 246 miles, not 146.
Trains travelled: Capitol Limited WAS-CHI, Carolinian CLT-RGH, Coast Starlight SJC-LAX, Crescent BAL-ATL, Empire Builder MSP-CHI, Empire Service NYP-NFL+NYG-YNY, Lake Shore Limited BOS-ALB, Maple Leaf ALB-NYP, Northeast Regional FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, Pacific Surfliner LAX-ANA, Pennsylvanian NYP-PGH, Piedmont RGH-DNC, Silver Meteor ORL-NYP, Silver Star FTL-WAS, 2016 Autumn Express NYP-HAR-NYP

Upcoming New Routes: Cardinal CHI-WAS (July), Lake Shore Limited NYP-CHI (December), California Zephyr CHI-RIC (December), Coast Starlight SJC-SEA (December), Empire Builder SEA-MSP (January).

Non Amtrak: Atlanta Streetcar, Caltrain, CTA, DC Streetcar, Hudson-Bergen Light Rail, LIRR, MARC, MARTA, MBTA Subway, Metra, Metrolink, Metro-North, METRO Transit Light Rail, Miami Metrorail, Muni Metro, NJT Commuter Rail, North Star, NYC Subway, PATH, Pittsburgh Light Rail, River Line (NJT), SEPTA Regional Rail, SEPTA Subway, South Shore Line, Sunrail, Staten Island Railway, TECO Streetcar, Tri-Rail, Washington Metro

#1535 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,198 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:06 AM

Well, my point in extrapolating the margin was to bound the probable limits of the opposition. Again, I don't doubt that there are plenty of NIMBY's who would rather wait for the droll of a 35 MPH freight train fouling the grade crossings that have been there for 100 years than a sleek new 25 second inconvenience of a superfast, sleek, new train. I think that despite the efforts of Ms Debbie, the long term success of Briteline will be well received.

Now - how does Amtrak feel about Briteline stealing market share - not just from Orlando to Miami, but taking the main purpose of the Silver Star away?

Briteline MIA-TPA will be around 315 miles. Wonder how long it'll take and what the cost will be?

I think Brightline will take away the purpose of the SM more than the SS, even if it goes go Tampa. If Amtrak could get FEC to agree to it, I think it would make sense to operate the SM discharge/recieve only down the FEC (I seriously doubt FEC would allow Amtrak to carry intra-Florida passengers). Then the SM could be the Miami express train and the SS could be the Tampa and Orlando train. The only adjustment that would probably be necessary is to move the SS an hour earlier northbound so it could connect to the CL (I think this should happen even with the current set-up).

As to the Brightline Tampa extension, I doubt it would be more than an hour and a half to Orlando which would put the entire route to Miami at four and a half hours, over an hour faster than Amtrak. It would also stop in the South Florida downtowns and have far more frequencies. The only way Amtrak could compete is if the tickets were priced significantly lower or if Brightline consistently sold out. Also, Tampa to Miami is about 246 miles, not 146.

With Brightline, my best guess is that Tampa-Miami will clock in at 3:55-4:00 (give or take a few based on stopping patterns, etc.).  Why?
(1) Miami-Orlando is, IIRC, set for 2:55 or so over 240 miles.
(2) Presumng that the alignment from the Orlampa project were to be used, that would be 84 miles.  It might be possible to "shave" this by a few miles if you don't turn around and head north to the OCCC...so call it 80-85 miles.  That puts a project total at 320-325 miles.
(3) The Orlampa project was projected to cover 84 miles in 64 minutes.  On the one hand, that was using faster trains (168 MPH vs 125 MPH); on the other hand, that also had three intermediate stops whereas I suspect Brightline would start with either zero or one.  My guess is that the two factors would probably wash or come out slightly in Brightline's favor (the stopping-and-going on the Orlando end of the HSR project looks to have been a real killer...the average speed from OIA-Disney was only 54 MPH, dragging the overall average speed down to about 79 MPH).

Presuming that Brightline could nudge the average speed just over 80 MPH they should be able to run the last leg in about an hour; with 125 MPH trains on a "fresh" corridor that was originally planned for even faster trains, an average speed in the 80-85 MPH range should be doable.

===== ===== ===== ===== =====

As to Amtrak on the FEC line, I think there may be a bit more room for nuance depending on the relevant Amtrak timetable.  I'll tentatively agree that Brightline probably doesn't want competition, but if Amtrak were running a train through at an awkward hour of the night I don't think they'd mind.  Even presuming they get an operation to Jacksonville, it isn't clear what level of frequency they'd be running at.  In Brightline's shoes what I'd probably do is allow "local" pax boarding on the northern end subject to Amtrak paying a per-passenger fee and agreeing to not undermine me on prices.  I'd actually be tempted to use Amtrak to cover properly "local" service to keep local governments off my back (e.g. I can see the Meteor/Star making about a dozen stops along the way while Brightline only makes 4-5) and possibly help cover some station costs.  Basically, I would want (limited) Amtrak service because it's a potential cash cow and if (for example) I can hit Amtrak for $10/passenger plus some sort of track-usage fee and then get some cash off of those passengers on top of that (for parking, in-station revenue, etc.), that's probably a few million dollars in the bank each year for me.

#1536 A Voice

A Voice

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:03 AM

Any Amtrak operation over Florida East Coast, both now and prior to Brightline plans, must be done in a manner which preserves (at a minimum) the current level of service to the popular leisure travel market at Orlando.  Ideally the service would return to the former model of splitting trains at Jacksonville; There's no longer a Tampa servicing facility, but there is at Sanford (terminate a section in Orlando).  

Just thinking out loud, but service to Tampa would seem to be best provided by a section sent down the S-line, and from there terminating at either Miami or Orlando.  

#1537 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,505 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:55 AM

It would be a miracle if there is ever an LD passenger operation through Ocala again. But hey, who knows? ;)

#1538 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,505 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 03:37 AM

http://www.orlandose...0410-story.html

#1539 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,505 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:14 AM

More on Brightline train delivery. Orange and Green will be delivered together in a few weeks ...

http://gobrightline....utm_content=cta

#1540 jphjaxfl

jphjaxfl

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • Interests:Rail passenger advocate for modern, reliable passenger trains that will allow for business or leasure travel. I have been riding trains for over 60 years, but I am not advocating going back to what we once had, rather an updated system similar to Europe, Japan, China, India and other nations with great passenger train systems.

Posted 19 April 2017 - 02:31 PM

It would be nice if Amtrak could have its new cars delivered as efficiently as the Brightline's beautiful new trains

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users