Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Brightline (FEC) Update

• Please log in to reply
2223 replies to this topic

#2221 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,614 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:20 AM

On the consist:
Right now, the trains are four cars.  Two locos is probably overkill for that (though it means there's one working if the other dies on you), but the plans are to have trains get up to about 8-9 cars (I don't think there are plans for the trains to be any longer).  At that point, I think there's at least some case to be had that better acceleration is to be had with the second loco.

So they think that it will make sense in the future to more than double capacity on each train? Why not just run more four car trains?

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#2222 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:26 PM

Timing is an issue. They still need to get freights through. I long to see the day capacity requires 8 double deckers.

Dallas underestimated the popularity of DART and thus some lines will never accommodate more than 2-car trains.

Edited by VentureForth, 12 October 2018 - 12:31 PM.

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#2223 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,716 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:37 PM

They have a long way to go before they hit capacity issues. For the next three to five years it looks like they will stay within two tph each way for passenger. They really have capacity to go to 4 or 6 tph each way without much extra work beyond what is planned.

I don;t see going beyond that outside of Miami Central - West Palm Beach, and perhaps as far as Jupiter with the addition of hourly commuter service for the time being. They don't really have that huge amount of freight traffic either. Maybe six trains or so a day, mostly at night. That could change if miraculously significantly more Panamax traffic decides to come to Miami.

#2224 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,581 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 04:18 PM

Equipment positioning deadhead.

Could they theoretically run this with passengers?

Some TGV services leave Paris with two sets coupled but then split at some intermediate station and go their separate ways.

Maybe Brightline could do something similar when they are running from Miami to both Jacksonville and Tampa.
Yes. Someday they could.

Practicing. :giggle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users