Lake Shore, top speed NB between NYP and Albany

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rms492

Service Attendant
Hello, can someone tell me the top speed of the Northbound Lake Shore Limited from New York Penn to Albany?

I see that this part of the Lake Shore Limited has only one engine (700 series), pulling four Amfleets, one diner, two sleepers, and a baggage.

So I was curious, since I heard that the top speed for Amtrak Empire trains is north of 100mph, so was wondering if the LSL with its heavy train could do the same.

I don't think even the Empire trains can reach 110 yet, so of course not for the LSL!

Yeah I wasn't sure of the top speed, I thought I heard it was 110mph, could be wrong....in any event, what is top speed allowed on this corridor?

100? 90?

So I found this cool clip on YouTube:

The uploader says it is 110. Can any experts here testify to the speed of this clip?

But this train is southbound (maybe its downhill?), I am interested in northbound.

I don't think even the Empire trains can reach 110 yet, so of course not for the LSL!

Yeah I wasn't sure of the top speed, I thought I heard it was 110mph, could be wrong....in any event, what is top speed allowed on this corridor?

100? 90?
The top speed of the P42DC is 110 mph, but that is rarely reached, and definately not on this route. I think the speed on NYP-ALB is either 79 or 90.

100? 90?
The top speed of the P42DC is 110 mph, but that is rarely reached, and definately not on this route. I think the speed on NYP-ALB is either 79 or 90.
I travel fairly frequently to visit in-laws in ALB from WAS, and IIRC, from NYP to Croton-Harmon or Poughkeepsie, they keep it around 79, and then after that to ALB, they break 100, not sure if they max out at 110, but most times, I note on my GPS when we break 100.

~ DCTE

The top speed of P32AC-DMs is 110mph. LSL and Empire Service trains run pretty regularly at upto 110 mph over a short stretch between Hudson and Albany.

Last edited by a moderator:
LSL and Empire Service trains run pretty regularly at 110 mph over a short stretch between Hudson and Albany.
Correct.

That stretch runs from milepost 124.3 near Stuyvesant to milepost 141.1 near S. Rensselaer on both main tracks.
South of that point the maximum speed limit is 90 mph down to milepost 75.5 which is the change of ownership between Metro North and CSX.

Look how many people contested and "knew" that there was "no way" trains exceeded 100 here. Then all of a sudden it was never true. I clocked the train at 112 briefly on this stretch (IIRC there is a 5% allowance). You "knew" something that wasn't true.

Look how many people contested and "knew" that there was "no way" trains exceeded 100 here. Then all of a sudden it was never true. I clocked the train at 112 briefly on this stretch (IIRC there is a 5% allowance). You "knew" something that wasn't true.
You resurrected a 2-1/2 year old thread to tell us that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back