Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Lake Shore, top speed NB between NYP and Albany

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 rms492

rms492

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:31 PM

Hello, can someone tell me the top speed of the Northbound Lake Shore Limited from New York Penn to Albany?

I see that this part of the Lake Shore Limited has only one engine (700 series), pulling four Amfleets, one diner, two sleepers, and a baggage.

So I was curious, since I heard that the top speed for Amtrak Empire trains is north of 100mph, so was wondering if the LSL with its heavy train could do the same.

#2 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts
  • Interests:Transportation, business, politics, and military history.

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:34 PM

I don't think even the Empire trains can reach 110 yet, so of course not for the LSL!

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
A MILLION MILES A DAY
DETROIT DIESEL 6067BK28

#3 rms492

rms492

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:37 PM

I don't think even the Empire trains can reach 110 yet, so of course not for the LSL!

Yeah I wasn't sure of the top speed, I thought I heard it was 110mph, could be wrong....in any event, what is top speed allowed on this corridor?

100? 90?

#4 rms492

rms492

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:38 PM

So I found this cool clip on YouTube:

The uploader says it is 110. Can any experts here testify to the speed of this clip?

But this train is southbound (maybe its downhill?), I am interested in northbound.

#5 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts
  • Interests:Transportation, business, politics, and military history.

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:39 PM

Yeah I wasn't sure of the top speed, I thought I heard it was 110mph, could be wrong....in any event, what is top speed allowed on this corridor?

100? 90?

The top speed of the P42DC is 110 mph, but that is rarely reached, and definately not on this route. I think the speed on NYP-ALB is either 79 or 90.

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
A MILLION MILES A DAY
DETROIT DIESEL 6067BK28

#6 Ashland Train Enthusiast

Ashland Train Enthusiast

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Information Technology, Camping, Sailing, Cycling, Meteorology, Fine Dining and Gourmet Cuisine, Cooking, History

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:44 PM

100? 90?

The top speed of the P42DC is 110 mph, but that is rarely reached, and definately not on this route. I think the speed on NYP-ALB is either 79 or 90.

I travel fairly frequently to visit in-laws in ALB from WAS, and IIRC, from NYP to Croton-Harmon or Poughkeepsie, they keep it around 79, and then after that to ALB, they break 100, not sure if they max out at 110, but most times, I note on my GPS when we break 100.

~ DCTE

Riding Amtrak since I was 8 years old

Lifetime Amtrak Miles: 25654

Amtrak Trains Ridden: Acela Express (BC & FC), California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carolinian, Cardinal, City of New Orleans, Crescent, Downeaster, Empire Service, Ethan Allen Express, Lake Shore Limited, Northeast Regional, Palmetto, Piedmont, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Vermonter

Other US Trains: New Hope Valley RR, Cass Scenic RR, Strasburg RR, Maine Narrow Gauge RR

International Trains Ridden: Shatabdi Express, Himalayan Queen (narrow gauge)Raniket Express, Agra Fort Intercity, Marudhar Express, Mumbai Mail

Upcoming Trips: NER/Capital Limited/Texas Eagle (RT ASD - SAS) Fall 2017

Current (Suspended) Project: Dinner in the Diner, a site about Amtrak Diner Meals

#7 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,727 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:57 PM

The top speed of P32AC-DMs is 110mph. LSL and Empire Service trains run pretty regularly at upto 110 mph over a short stretch between Hudson and Albany.

Edited by jis, 31 May 2012 - 06:33 PM.

#8 RampWidget

RampWidget

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Interests:Anything that rolls, flies, or floats !

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:19 PM

LSL and Empire Service trains run pretty regularly at 110 mph over a short stretch between Hudson and Albany.

Correct.
That stretch runs from milepost 124.3 near Stuyvesant to milepost 141.1 near S. Rensselaer on both main tracks.

Amtrak Acela, Auto-Train, California Zephyr. Capitol Limited, Cardinal, Carolinian, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Downeaster, Empire Builder, Lake Shore Limited, Northeast Regional, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto, Pere Marquette, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Southwest Chief, Springfield Shuttle, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle
Alaska RR Coastal Classic, Denali Star - Central of Georgia Rwy. Nancy Hanks II - Southern Rwy. Southern Crescent - LIRR - MARC - MBTA - MNCR - Tri-Rail

#9 George Harris

George Harris

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,070 posts
  • Interests:Track, construction, schedules

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:23 PM

LSL and Empire Service trains run pretty regularly at 110 mph over a short stretch between Hudson and Albany.

Correct.
That stretch runs from milepost 124.3 near Stuyvesant to milepost 141.1 near S. Rensselaer on both main tracks.

South of that point the maximum speed limit is 90 mph down to milepost 75.5 which is the change of ownership between Metro North and CSX.

#10 Guest_Daniel_*

Guest_Daniel_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:44 AM

Look how many people contested and "knew" that there was "no way" trains exceeded 100 here. Then all of a sudden it was never true. I clocked the train at 112 briefly on this stretch (IIRC there is a 5% allowance). You "knew" something that wasn't true. 

#11 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,576 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 06:29 AM

Look how many people contested and "knew" that there was "no way" trains exceeded 100 here. Then all of a sudden it was never true. I clocked the train at 112 briefly on this stretch (IIRC there is a 5% allowance). You "knew" something that wasn't true. 

You resurrected a 2-1/2 year old thread to tell us that?

#12 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,445 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:25 AM

And now it's closed.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users