Tunnels on the California Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your reply and that does help. I was hoping maybe for a map or something that shows just where they are. I figured out where the Moffat tunnel is and also where the one around Mt. Judah in California is, but I know there must be more. Anyway, thanks for your help.

I bought this book in Grand Junction, CO and I am glad I did. It has tunnel info, and the history many of the tunnels, among other things. They have books for many other routes. The author has 3 different books that cover the entire CZ route in segments.

"A Guidebook to Amtrak's California Zephyr - Denver to Salt Lake City" Eva J. Hoffman, Flashing Yellow Guide Books.

I also see there are podcasts available online which I assume are like self guided museum tours.

I bought this book in Grand Junction, CO and I am glad I did. It has tunnel info, and the history many of the tunnels, among other things. They have books for many other routes. The author has 3 different books that cover the entire CZ route in segments.

"A Guidebook to Amtrak's California Zephyr - Denver to Salt Lake City" Eva J. Hoffman, Flashing Yellow Guide Books.

I also see there are podcasts available online which I assume are like self guided museum tours.
Thanks alot. Sounds like a great reference.

Last edited by a moderator:
While it does not give you tunnels, it does give a general map with locations of high elevations: www.uprr.com/aboutup/maps/attachments/elevations.pdf

The high point on the entire route of the CZ is at teh Moffat Tunnel. From the map:

High Elev. - Moffat Tunnel

9,239’ Elev.Winter Park, CO

MP 52.85
Milepost zero for this section is Denver. "Moffat Tunnel" is the subdivision, not the location name, although Winter Park is at the Moffat Tunnel portal.

Keep going west and you will see that there are two other high points on the route, and that the lowest of the three is actuall the Sierra Nevada summit. It is:

High Elev. - Roseville6,887’ Elev.

Norden, CA

MP 192.50
Milepost zero for this subdivision is Oakland CA. Roseville to Norden is one of the longest unbroken changes in elevation in the railroad world.

As an aside, this map also shows the low point in the US railroad world, on the Sunset Route alsong side the Salton Sea:

Lowest Elev. - Yuma-205’ Elev.

Forrum, CA

MP 612.00
Milepost zero San Francisco, 3rd and Townsend.

While it does not give you tunnels, it does give a general map with locations of high elevations: www.uprr.com/aboutup/maps/attachments/elevations.pdf

The high point on the entire route of the CZ is at teh Moffat Tunnel. From the map:

9,239’ Elev.Winter Park, CO

MP 52.85
Milepost zero for this section is Denver. "Moffat Tunnel" is the subdivision, not the location name, although Winter Park is at the Moffat Tunnel portal.

Keep going west and you will see that there are two other high points on the route, and that the lowest of the three is actuall the Sierra Nevada summit. It is:

High Elev. - Roseville6,887’ Elev.

Norden, CA

MP 192.50
Milepost zero for this subdivision is Oakland CA. Roseville to Norden is one of the longest unbroken changes in elevation in the railroad world.

As an aside, this map also shows the low point in the US railroad world, on the Sunset Route alsong side the Salton Sea:

Lowest Elev. - Yuma-205’ Elev.

Forrum, CA

MP 612.00
Actually, per John Signor, only the Coast Division had MP 0.0 at Third & Townsend. For all other lines, MP 0.0 was the hinge on the ramp at the Ferry Building. Also, mileage to Yuma ran via the Valley line, not the Coast. Don't know whether or how much UP has changed that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks George.

9,239' Elev.Winter Park, CO

MP 52.85

High Elev. - Roseville6,887' Elev.

Norden, CA

MP 192.50

Lowest Elev. - Yuma-205' Elev.

Forrum, CA

MP 612.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back