Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Where are you supposed to change baby's diaper on the train?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Illinois Mommy

Illinois Mommy

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

I'm talking about the single-level trains that do not have changing tables. Where are you supposed to change your baby's diaper?

#2 Pat Harper

Pat Harper

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Interests:crochet, knitting, sewing, and traveling

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:25 PM

Haven't you learned how to change a diaper in your lap? I've done that before when my daughter was a small baby, but for toddlers, I would suggest a blanket on the floor?

If you're in a sleeper, and there is a shower, there's usually a changing room next to the shower. Other than that I have no clue.

event.png

#3 EMDF9A

EMDF9A

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:45 PM

Well, definately NOT on a table in the lounge or in the dining car!

#4 Guest_guest_*

Guest_guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:17 PM

Many of the more recently renovated single level equipment has been equipped with changing tables in the accessible restrooms.

#5 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,188 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:28 PM

Posted Image"Where are you supposed to change baby's diaper on the train?" Hopefully on the baby!Posted Image (Sorry I couldn't resist!) I too thought I saw changing tables in the larger rest rooms.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#6 GG-1

GG-1

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,113 posts
  • Interests:PRR GG1 and riding the rails to "see the USA in your Chev".....Train

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:11 PM

Posted Image"Where are you supposed to change baby's diaper on the train?" Hopefully on the baby!:lol: (Sorry I couldn't resist!) I too thought I saw changing tables in the larger rest rooms.

Aloha

You beat me to that wise crack :lol:

GG-1, Aloha, Mahalo = Thanks
http://gg-1.smugmug.com/'>Picture Galleries

Posted Image

#7 amamba

amamba

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,094 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:25 PM

I would head for the handicapped accessible restrooms. I am pretty sure I saw a changing table in one. If there isn't a changing table, then the floor is big enough that you could put out a blanket and change the baby on the floor. Much better to change the baby on the floor of the restroom than in the aisle or in the coach or on a seat.

#8 Texan Eagle

Texan Eagle

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:29 PM

you could put out a blanket and change the baby on the floor. Much better to change the baby on the floor of the restroom than in the aisle or in the coach or on a seat.

Change the baby? Amtrak offers trade-in programs to replace old babies with new ones?

Sorry Posted Image

#9 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,188 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:32 PM

1337556557[/url]' post='368478']

1337549157[/url]' post='368468'] you could put out a blanket and change the baby on the floor. Much better to change the baby on the floor of the restroom than in the aisle or in the coach or on a seat.

Change the baby? Amtrak offers trade-in programs to replace old babies with new ones?

Sorry Posted Image

I tried to trade-in myself, but they wouldn't do it due to overuse! I also tried to trade-in the 22 year old "babe" I had just picked up for a newer model! Posted Image But she just slapped me!Posted Image
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#10 George Harris

George Harris

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,070 posts
  • Interests:Track, construction, schedules

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:23 PM

OK, clowns: Don't quit your day job.

We used the adjacent seat when all else failed. It seemed to work easier than just about anything else. Doing it in the restroom could really be difficult. In case of solids, they were dumped in toilet, then daiper in trash can. DO NOT put a daiper down the toilet. It will clog the system.

#11 gatelouse

gatelouse

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:38 PM

I haven't seen changing tables on Amfleet I cars. Would appreciate any spotter reports from Amfleet II or Superliner cars. Oddly, the business-minded Acela, of all trains, does have a changing table at least in the accessible restrooms.

I try to carry airtight plastic bags to dispose of diapers on trains and in hotels. A fairly courteous way to dump the dump.
Ridden, now gone: 3 Rivers 10/6 sleeper; SL East; Pennsy to CHI; Superliner Card; Shoreliner sleeper; Heritage Adirondack; Metroclub; NE Direct inland NHV-SPG-BOS

#12 Cho Cho Charlie

Cho Cho Charlie

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Starships

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:48 AM

If there isn't a changing table, then the floor is big enough that you could put out a blanket and change the baby on the floor. Much better to change the baby on the floor of the restroom than in the aisle or in the coach or on a seat.

I guess I am old enough to have had to deal with the "good old days" when diaper changing tables were only in the women's restrooms, and never in the men's.

Yep, I had to change many a diaper on the restroom floor. :rolleyes:
Me

Proud supporter of the Trails to Rails program.

#13 jcepler1

jcepler1

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:09 AM

I usually camp out in the spot opposite from the wheelchair spot, as it has space in front of the chairs, and change my daughter on a pad on the floor. (when she was very small I held her on my lap and my wife did the changing).

Acela trains and Superliners have changing tables, but they are small.

Unfortunately, not even the recently refurbished Amfleet cars have changing tables.

#14 Illinois Mommy

Illinois Mommy

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

Thank you for all of the replies. Posted Image Looks like the floor it is. Oh well.

#15 Michigan Mom

Michigan Mom

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Interests:...I don't mind, I think they're crazy, running everywhere at such a speed...til they find, there's no need.....

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:46 PM

Good grief I still have the 2 diaper bags... why I don't know, the babies are now 9 and 15. The 15 is 6'2". But I loved the diaper bags more than any purse or handbag I have ever owned.... anyway.

Pack plenty of wipes, extra plastic bags and a pad AND an extra baby blanket. The goal is to keep Baby clean and the other passengers from freakig out. Easily done.

You may need to perfect your lap changing technique. First try to find an empty seat. Or, the floor in front of your seat would be better than the RR floor. But be creative and you will find your changing station :)

Wrap and then double wrap the old diaper in the plastic bags. Throw out in trash at next possible disembark location.
Two drifters, off to see the world, there's such a lot of world to see...

#16 sunchaser

sunchaser

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, husband, children & grandchildren. Worship through music, my pets. Archaeology, Ocean, Mountains, camping, cooking & baking. Avid reader, like to learn new things, helping others. (if I can)

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:58 AM

I haven't seen changing tables on Amfleet I cars. Would appreciate any spotter reports from Amfleet II or Superliner cars. Oddly, the business-minded Acela, of all trains, does have a changing table at least in the accessible restrooms.

I try to carry airtight plastic bags to dispose of diapers on trains and in hotels. A fairly courteous way to dump the dump.

I have seen changing tables in a Superliner Sleeper Restroom upstairs, across from the coffee station. If there isn't one in the coach you're in, maybe ask the Coach Attendant if there is one in another car that you could use.
Have a wonderful trip!

event.png

Trains we have taken:

California Zephyr- (11 times)-8 Superliner Bedrooms/1 Roomette, 2 Family Bedrooms 

Capitol Limited-(once) Superlner Bedroom   

Cascades-   (6 times) Business Class   

Coast Starlight- (6 times) 6 Superliner Bedrooms

Crescent- (once)Viewliner Bedroom

Heber Creeper- (1)
'I'm packed, tickets in hand, I'm ready to go-Is it train time yet?'
Sunchaser

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users