The New Pullman Sleeper prices are now posted

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The New Pullman company has now posted loads of new info on the service including accommodation prices. The cost of the Pullamn rail journeys are not inexpensive but it appears that they are providing a true first class experience.

I believe that the prices are only for sleepers. The cost of dining in probably additional.

Here it is:

Travel by Pullman

and here is the Pullman equipment roster

Pullman Roster

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Interesting...they seem to be using the Cap-Pennsylvanian to go CHI-NYP.

2) I'm going to need to check...when is The Gathering again? This may not be workable for me at Christmas, but I'm jumping up and down to try this ASAP.

1) Interesting...they seem to be using the Cap-Pennsylvanian to go CHI-NYP.
They're using the Lake Shore Limited; not the Cap-Pennsy.

2) I'm going to need to check...when is The Gathering again? This may not be workable for me at Christmas, but I'm jumping up and down to try this ASAP.
October 5th - 7th.
I thought the arrival time on the LSL into NYP was late than that?

Edit: Ok, I've got my guide from this summer in. The times I have for EB arrivals are:

6:45 PM - Lake Shore Limited

4:58 PM - Pennsylvanian

4:58 PM - Pullman Sleepers

So, either Pullman pulled a real rabbit out of their hat and got the Lake Shore's time changed, or they're running west on the Lake Shore and east on the Cap-Penny.

Their CHI-NYP schedule does match up with the departure of 30 and the arrival of 42. Not sure why they would put that schedule if they were advertising the Lake Shore.

That said, I looked on their website and I don't see anything that specifically states what routing they're going to take.

Their CHI-NYP schedule does match up with the departure of 30 and the arrival of 42. Not sure why they would put that schedule if they were advertising the Lake Shore.

That said, I looked on their website and I don't see anything that specifically states what routing they're going to take.
Blame marketing, who likely went with the more familiar train option. The fact that the PGH layover is in the middle of the night and that they're going to be doing strict endpoint business (as far as I can tell, at least) doesn't hurt it...and it's probably the better of the two timings, to be honest. Basically, marketing put the easy explanation on the screen for folks and decided to skip the nuances...and quite honestly might have gotten themselves confused by accident.

So, either Pullman pulled a real rabbit out of their hat and got the Lake Shore's time changed, or they're running west on the Lake Shore and east on the Cap-Penny.
Well the westbound times are definitely the LSL's times; not the Cap's. I had thought that perhaps they were boarding early coming east, so as to provide dinner to their passengers, unlike the LSL. But perhaps it is possible that they've worked out a deal with Amtrak to do the switching required in Pittsburgh, although I have to say that I'm a bit surprised that Amtrak would agree to all that extra work in PGH.

Unless of course Amtrak plans to start up the through cars on the Pennsy by November when they also start running this luxury service.

The cheapest prices are $1800 round-trip. Wish they could lower that some bit.
True, but that's not insanely above the top-bucket roomettes on a bad day (which can run $564 one-way or $1128 round-trip). Expensive, yes, but not insane...and definitely featuring some nice amenities. Actually, strictly by the numbers, a B/C accommodation for one ($1050) is almost spot on with a high-bucket bedroom for one on Amtrak. Of course, adding a second person adds $600 to that...but it's definitely not so far out of the range of costs for Amtrak to be dizzying.

Ideally, of course, I would have liked to see the numbers come in about 10-15% lower...but it's not as crazy as it could be...and considering how much the LSL sells out, I'll almost be surprised if this doesn't occasionally turn into a "sixth bucket" of sorts like I mentioned earlier (particularly if Amtrak opts to cycle the trains carrying the Pullmans without a spare sleeper for a while...Amtrak could easily work out an agreement to synch their sleeper patterns with Pullman's to stabilize the amount of room available).

I'll almost be surprised if this doesn't occasionally turn into a "sixth bucket" of sorts like I mentioned earlier (particularly if Amtrak opts to cycle the trains carrying the Pullmans without a spare sleeper for a while...Amtrak could easily work out an agreement to synch their sleeper patterns with Pullman's to stabilize the amount of room available).
I like how you presume that Amtrak could easily work out an agreement with this company (which we don't even know if it will stay in business that log) which involves changing its consist and capacity allocation (I'm not sure what you mean by "trains...without a spare sleeper," since no trains carry a spare sleeper), equipment rotations, crew staffing levels, etc. to solve a problem that doesn't even exist (you seem to imply that there's a regular rotation of equipment that runs short of sleeper space on the Lake Shore; and that only happens when there's an unplanned bad-order).

I'll almost be surprised if this doesn't occasionally turn into a "sixth bucket" of sorts like I mentioned earlier (particularly if Amtrak opts to cycle the trains carrying the Pullmans without a spare sleeper for a while...Amtrak could easily work out an agreement to synch their sleeper patterns with Pullman's to stabilize the amount of room available).
I like how you presume that Amtrak could easily work out an agreement with this company (which we don't even know if it will stay in business that log) which involves changing its consist and capacity allocation (I'm not sure what you mean by "trains...without a spare sleeper," since no trains carry a spare sleeper), equipment rotations, crew staffing levels, etc. to solve a problem that doesn't even exist (you seem to imply that there's a regular rotation of equipment that runs short of sleeper space on the Lake Shore; and that only happens when there's an unplanned bad-order).
Ok, let me explain what I was gunning for: Amtrak is trying to add sleepers to its eastern LD trains. In the longer run (i.e. presuming that this operation lasts more than a year or so), that equipment will be distributed among trains for a given set of regular lengths.

So, let's take the Lake Shore Limited, since it is the one at issue here. In general, you get three sets...call them LSL-1, LSL-2, and LSL-3. Now, if Pullman wants to effectively run a sleeper service on one of those, twice-weekly on a regular basis Amtrak could work out a deal whereby they move one of those sleepers to another train (be it the Cardinal, the Twilight Shoreliner, the Crescent, etc.). As long as the agreement is regular and continuing, Amtrak can move equipment around on its schedule to its heart's content, and that if Pullman pulls out, then they can adjust accordingly. Also let me point out that Amtrak should have little trouble sending a sleeper out on the LSL and back on the Cap-Penny. Bill can, I'm sure, offer some examples of this sort of equipment allocation being done in the past.

As to it being "easily" done, the fact that Amtrak apparently agreed to run the cars on 30/42 says something right there about them being able to work with these guys pretty amiably.

Wait a minute! If the private companies can afford to restore slee[pers, Amtrak should get more sleepers just like that!
A new single-level sleeper costs $2.5 million or so. My guess is that IP (the company behind Pullman) got these for about $500,000 apiece and put a similar amount into them...but will face somewhat higher maintenance costs given the old age of the equipmen. For Amtrak, this is more of a pain in the rear because the equipment sometimes needs a lot of TLC and Amtrak is sick of having to deal with oddball equipment pieces that don't match up with anything else in the fleet. Amtrak wants economies of scale when it comes to maintenance, not this.

Wait a minute! If the private companies can afford to restore slee[pers, Amtrak should get more sleepers just like that!
A new single-level sleeper costs $2.5 million or so. My guess is that IP (the company behind Pullman) got these for about $500,000 apiece and put a similar amount into them...but will face somewhat higher maintenance costs given the old age of the equipmen. For Amtrak, this is more of a pain in the rear because the equipment sometimes needs a lot of TLC and Amtrak is sick of having to deal with oddball equipment pieces that don't match up with anything else in the fleet. Amtrak wants economies of scale when it comes to maintenance, not this.
I am sure Pullman had to modify the toilets to allow for retention to comply with the Congressional mandate. This was Amtrak's excuse for not modifying the Heritage Sleeping Cars.

A new single-level sleeper costs $2.5 million or so..
A bit low on the price of a new sleeper? Did the order for Viewliners work out to 3.5 million for each car? Bagged cars cheaper than sleeping cars. So sleeping cars are north of 3.5 million.

Or did I miss read something. Never did see a break down on cost, design, tooling, mock-up, spare parts, etc.

Wow - just imagine, Horse Shoe Curve and rural Pennsylvania. Not to mention, departing NYC and following the Hudson up to Albany. What a ride.

The fact that they layover a few hours in Pittsburgh is also a bonus - after all, if I paid this much to travel on a first class rail journey, I would prefer to sit in a station as much as possible, while we were sleeping.

Im in no hurry to get off of this thing. If there is a 6 hour delay, I'm sure that diner would do something. And a dove tailed observation car!!! I don't have to die to go to heaven.

We should have a Gathering aboard this train!!

We could go from New York to Chicago, then go

from Chicago to New Orleans. Make it a Double Gathering!!

We should have a Gathering aboard this train!!

We could go from New York to Chicago, then go

from Chicago to New Orleans. Make it a Double Gathering!!
Weren't the dates Oct for CHi - NOL and Nov for CHI - NYC? So we'd have to do NOL to CHI the end of Oct then CHI to NYC early Nov.

A Gathering idea aboard the Pullman might actually have some potential, if willing to bear the cost. I would not at all doubt that there are entire groups who will reserve the whole train (Pullman section, not the Amtrak consist ahead of it) at points in the future. Contact Iowa Pacific and ask, I imagine you'll find a reservation desk ready to draft up the agreement and take payment.

On a related note, once the travel agencies get involved, I imagine reserving whole blocks for travel packages (I'm thinking of Uncommon Journeys and Train Holidays here) aboard the Pullman will be a regular occurrence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back