Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amtrak Gateway and NJ HSR

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:51 PM

I saw them installing them at Hamilton when I went into the city for a family event. I was amazed what percentage of the slow moving installers where just people who stood around sounding horns.

The FRA is quite serious about watchmen. This tidbit from CFR 214.329 may help:

Train approach warning shall be given in sufficient time to enable each roadway worker to move to and occupy a previously arranged place of safety not less than 15 seconds before a train moving at the maximum authorized speed on that track can pass the location of the roadway worker. The place of safety to be occupied upon the approach of a train may not be on a track, unless working limits are established on that track.

Track speed is 135mph in that are so that means is moving approximately 200 feet per second so they have to spread out and elongate the warning since the train would cover more than a half of a mile in 15 seconds.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#22 DSS&A

DSS&A

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:44 PM

Hi,
New information is out about the tunnel construction and adjusted spoils removsl plans. The two links to the meeting PowerPoint presenations are at the link below.

http://www.railroad....6488&start=1425

#23 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:21 PM

Finally, some good news....if you don't drive a vehicle over one of the Port Authority's bridges or tunnels.

Port Authority votes to spend an additional $44M for Hudson River tunnel project

Despite no commitment from the Trump administration, the Port Authority on Thursday voted to spend another $44 million on a multibillion-dollar Hudson River tunnel project.

Port officials who are backing the tunnel construction as part of Amtrak’s massive Gateway project said the money is necessary to keep the project moving, so that when federal funding materializes, there will be no delay in construction.

“It’s momentum,” Port Authority director Rick Cotton said of the money requested from the Gateway Development Corp., which is overseeing the project.

Construction can start on one part of the project, the Portal Bridge, in New Jersey this year, officials said. The Hudson River tunnel is under design, with officials hoping to start construction next year.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#24 bmorechris

bmorechris

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:Trains, local transportation history, mechanical/marine engineering, travel

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:23 PM

This sounds non-optimal

Brief fair use quote:
President Trump is pushing congressional Republicans not to fund a crucial infrastructure project a long-delayed plan to build a new rail tunnel between Manhattan and New Jersey setting up a confrontation that could complicate passage of a massive government spending bill this month.

Trump personally appealed to House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) this week to target federal funding for the $30 billion Gateway project, which would construct a tunnel into New Yorks Penn Station to supplement two aging tubes that are at risk of failing in the coming years.

https://www.washingt...:homepage/story

Edited by bmorechris, 02 March 2018 - 09:24 PM.

#25 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:30 PM

It is strange that even the Washington Post article does not note that Gateway is a multi part construction item.  They made it sound like the tunnel will cost $30.0 B .  But Gateway is the tunnel , North and probably south Portal bridges, 4 tracking from Newark Penn to the new tunnel and old tunnel, Secaucus loop, NYP upgrades.  Hey Wa Po get your writer corrected ! .

• CCC1007 likes this

#26 B757Guy

B757Guy

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:51 PM

By the time this is completed and operational, I'm pretty sure my current teenage boys will be married, with adult children.  :(

I'm an airline pilot with a major US based carrier, and avid lover of trains since the very early days of Amtrak. I fondly recall GG1's zipping along the NEC, and sleeping in a slumbercoach on the Montrealer as a kid. I miss the old heritage cars, the GG1 and the original Budd Metroliners. The new equipment today simply doesn't have the same personality and elegance...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users