making video's on amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white rabbitt

Lead Service Attendant
this will be my first time doing video's on the wolverine and the texas eagle

i am useing my c713 kodak camera any advice anyone can give me, that has

made video's on the train i would be vary grateful, i can get 640 x 480

thank u

larry

thank u

larry

my only advice is respect peoples privacy, not all passengers or crew will like to be included in video's.

thank u

larry

my only advice is respect peoples privacy, not all passengers or crew will like to be included in video's.
what should i video the train comeing in the station, the roomette the lounge, should i video out the window any help i can get would be greatfuly appreciated

Try pointing the camera a little toward the direction of travel if videoing the scenery while traveling, the scenery moves by too fast when pointing the camera straight out,plus don't get the curtin or the side of the window in the shot. Also make sure there window looks clean that you are videoing out of and watch for reflections and sunlight.

As to what to video, do everything and edit it down later.

Try pointing the camera a little toward the direction of travel if videoing the scenery while traveling, the scenery moves by too fast when pointing the camera straight out,plus don't get the curtin or the side of the window in the shot. Also make sure there window looks clean that you are videoing out of and watch for reflections and sunlight.

As to what to video, do everything and edit it down later.
Yes, depending on the direction of the sun, filming out the windows can be tricky. If sunlight is pouring in sideways (early morning or late afternoon) then the windows act more like mirrors, reflecting you and your fellow passengers. If you can see your reflection moving around in the window, so can the camera. You may find it easier to film out the windows on the side opposite the sun. And aiming the camera in the direction of travel is good, though depending on the situation or where you are seated you may not be able to.

Far away scenery is easier to film than something very close. Unless the train is moving slowly, close scenery goes by to quickly to make out (though linear features like planted fields can be interesting at higher speeds). A little speed can be ok when going through cities and towns, since it is more interesting if you can see something other than the backside of a building. Stations are a good thing to film, since trains will generally slow if not stop when passing through them. If you know of any rail junctions you may be crossing, you may want to film those. Water features (lakes, rivers, bridges too) are good, as are animals or livestock.

Be careful to try to hold the camera as steady as possible, especially when using a zoom lens. Above all, enjoy your trip and have fun!

Much of the below video was shot while riding the train.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69h_jE0rxEE&list=PL514D15CC31EEA0A7

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak regulations allow photography at the stations and on the train but as previous advised just respect the passengers and crews wishes not to be photographed.

Back