Quantcast

Taking the train overnight LA to Fresno, CA

12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tiff_*

Guest_tiff_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

I have a daughter that is taking the train overnight from LA to Fresno. But they have to take the bus to get over the grapevine. She has never traveled on the train/bus. She has almost 2 hours of a layover (11:50pm-1:45am) at the bus/train station in LA. Is this station safe for a 22 yr old female to have to wait? Not even sure where the station is? Need some feedback. Concerned parent.

#2 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,225 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:23 AM

First, there is no "train" between LA and Fresno. You take a dedicated Amtrak Thruway bus (only for Amtrak passengers) from Union Station in LA to Bakersfield - right from train station to train station via I-5 and IIRC CA-99 - and then take a train right to Fresno!

Although Union Station is open 24 hours, as long as you stay in an area with other passengers, I feel it is safe! I've never been there late at night, but I hear that there is enough security staff around to be safe. I would not go outside alone late at night though.

As to your question as to where the station is, do you mean Union Station in LA or the station in Fresno?Posted Image I do not live in that area (in fact almost as far away as possible on the east coast), but I'm sure others can help with directions.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead!

#3 Trogdor

Trogdor

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:26 AM

First, there is no "train" between LA and Fresno. You take a dedicated Amtrak Thruway bus (only for Amtrak passengers) from Union Station in LA to Bakersfield - right from train station to train station via I-5 and IIRC CA-99 - and then take a train right to Fresno!

I'm sure the OP already knew that. Hence:

[T]hey have to take the bus to get over the grapevine. She has never traveled on the train/bus. She has almost 2 hours of a layover (11:50pm-1:45am) at the bus/train station in LA.

Posted Image

#4 gswager

gswager

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts
  • Interests:mountain recreations, scuba diving, Christian,

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

The bus at LAUS (Los Angeles Union Station) is located next to the baggage claim (behind Subway food) in outside. Bus are dedicated service for Amtrak passengers. Make sure you're taking the right bus (out of 3 or so). It will take you directly to Bako (CA slang for Bakersfield) station, across the platform where San Joaquin train is. Then it'll take you to Fresno. I've used it several times, so they're safe.

LAUS is a very busy station, serving Metrolink commuter trains, Metro light rails/subway, city bus, and Amtrak trains during in the day. For directions, you can find on Amtrak website and click on stations.
Entire length in segments- Southwest Chief (LSV-LAX & CHI-LSV), Pacific Surfliner (SLO-LAX & LAX-SAN) & San Joaquin (Oakland stub)
Entire length, end to end- Lake Shore Limited (Boston stub) (11/09), Downeaster (11/09) & Coast Starlight (10/11)
Partial- California Zephyr (SLC-EMY), Hiawatha, Cascades (SEA-PDX) & Acela (BOS-PVD)

#5 Guest_tiff_*

Guest_tiff_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

Thank you for you responses, it was very helpful!

#6 johnny.menhennet

johnny.menhennet

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts
  • Interests:taekwondo, geography, current events, speech and debate, TRAINS

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:37 PM

Bako (CA slang for Bakersfield).

Really? I've been all over the state, and I know many people from the Bakersfield and Central Valley area, but have never heard that. Interesting.

Anyway, the LA station is very secure, and your daughter should feel safe. Just don't leave the actual station when it's late. The trip should be fine.

Amtrak: Pacific Surfliner (100000000000), Southwest Chief (5), California Zephyr (1), Coast Starlight (6), Capitol Corridor (1), Empire Builder (2), Acela Express (1), LSL (1), NE Regional (2)
Non-Amtrak: NCTD Coaster (at least 20), Metrolink (4), SD Trolley (at least 20), LACMTA Red Line (at least 50), Seattle Streetcar (1), Chicago 'L' (probably 13), NYC Subway (probably 15), WMATA Mass Transit (probably 20), LIRR (1), Las Vegas Monorail (at least 12), MBTA Mass Transit (16), NJ Transit commuter rail (3), I'm sure there are more that I can't think of right now

upcoming Amtrak: Pacific Surfliner (10000000000 more)
upcoming non-Amtrak: Coaster, Red Line/Expo Line in LA, NJ Transit (5-10)

Pretty good for a 16 year old :)

#7 momof5

momof5

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:37 PM

I live in the Central Valley (44 years) and have never heard Bakersfield called this. I guess you learn something new all the time.

#8 WhoozOn1st

WhoozOn1st

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,331 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:02 PM

Really? I've been all over the state, and I know many people from the Bakersfield and Central Valley area, but have never heard that.

Third generation California native, and I've never heard "Bako" either. Heard the city called many other things, though, most of them unpretty or unprintable here.

L.A. Union Station is safe enough around the clock, though one might not want to venture out to Alameda street during the wee hours. I'd be more concerned about the Amtrak station in downtown Fresburg at ANY hour, but that's part of a general bias against all those grungy Central Valley ag towns.
WhoozOn1st
See! Whooz Train Video Asylum "It's Raileriffic!!" Now over 300 Steam, Electric, and Diesel clips!
Enjoy! Whooz Rail SmugShots & Videos New & Improved: New Pics & Vids added daily!
Peruse! Whooz Picasa Memory Lane is a nice drive.

#9 sechs

sechs

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:35 PM

Maybe he meant Sacto or Fresyes.

#10 gswager

gswager

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts
  • Interests:mountain recreations, scuba diving, Christian,

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:37 PM

Really? I've been all over the state, and I know many people from the Bakersfield and Central Valley area, but have never heard that.

Third generation California native, and I've never heard "Bako" either. Heard the city called many other things, though, most of them unpretty or unprintable here.

My sister lives in Bakersfield and she called it "Bako". I guess it's quicker to say it, just like "San Berdoo" for San Bernardino.
Entire length in segments- Southwest Chief (LSV-LAX & CHI-LSV), Pacific Surfliner (SLO-LAX & LAX-SAN) & San Joaquin (Oakland stub)
Entire length, end to end- Lake Shore Limited (Boston stub) (11/09), Downeaster (11/09) & Coast Starlight (10/11)
Partial- California Zephyr (SLC-EMY), Hiawatha, Cascades (SEA-PDX) & Acela (BOS-PVD)

#11 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,667 posts
  • Interests:VIA Rail trains, Greyhound buses, old planes, ocean liners
    If 50% of those car drivers would get on the Greyhound - we'd have 99% less congestion
    Money + Ignorance = Arrogance
    Belfield is in North Dakota - not in South Dakota

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:58 PM

Why does the central valley have such a poor reputation?

MCI 102DL3WC Professonal Drivers Commited to Safety 1-800-SAFE-BUS
AMERICA'S BUS LINE FOR 100 YEARS
GO GREYHOUND - AND LEAVE THE DRIVING TO US!
OPERATOR: GREYHOUND LINES INC., DALLAS, TX, USDOT 044110
OPERATED BY: GREYHOUND CANADA TRANSPORTATION CORP., CALGARY, AB, NSC-000026177, FHA-MC-304126

#12 Blackwolf

Blackwolf

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts
  • Interests:Public Safety, passenger rail, travel, hunting, fishing

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:10 AM

Bako (CA slang for Bakersfield)

I've never heard of Bako for Bakersfield before. There are many, MANY more 'choice' words I have heard to describe the place none the less.

Why does the central valley have such a poor reputation?

Where else in California can you not see the sun for 4 months out of the year, shrouded in Tule Fog, and then swelter in smog-laiden surface-of-the-sun temps for 5 more with nary a breeze in the middle of the day? :lol:

Amtrak
Capitol Corridor (too many times to count!); Coast Starlight (x20); California Zephyr (x5); Empire Builder (x2); Lake Shore Limited (x3); Maple Leaf (x1); Adirondack (x2); Cascades (x1); Pacific Surfliner (x5); San Joaquin (x7); Capitol Limited (x1); Cardinal (x1)

VIA Rail
Ocean (x3); Windsor Corridor (x2); The Canadian (x1)

#13 leemell

leemell

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:35 PM

The bus at LAUS (Los Angeles Union Station) is located next to the baggage claim (behind Subway food) in outside. Bus are dedicated service for Amtrak passengers. Make sure you're taking the right bus (out of 3 or so). It will take you directly to Bako (CA slang for Bakersfield) station, across the platform where San Joaquin train is. Then it'll take you to Fresno. I've used it several times, so they're safe.

LAUS is a very busy station, serving Metrolink commuter trains, Metro light rails/subway, city bus, and Amtrak trains during in the day. For directions, you can find on Amtrak website and click on stations.

I'm a second generation Los Angeles native and have lived here (except for my time in the service) all my life. Have friends and family in Bakersfield. I have never heard it called "Bako".

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users