Amtrak Customer Service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

benjibear

Conductor
Maybe because it is today's norm to have bad experiances on the phone with corporations but I found my call to Amtrak the best telephone customer service call I have had in recent times. Normally you wait on the phone forever, listening to music that you just want to kill yourself if you have to listen to one more round, then to get an person on the other end reading from a computer screen only things they are allowed to say. Amtrak exceeded my expectations! After a short menu I was put immediatly to a customer service person, she took care of my issue, and I was done.

I've only had two calls into Amtrak Customer Service and both were handled as efficiently and pleasantly as yours. I hope its not because they get alot of practice :lol:

I've had pretty good luck with Amtrak phone times as well. Unfortunately, my last several calls into AGR have had averaged half-an-hour or more before anyone picked up. Which wouldn't be so bad except for the fact that AGR still forces you to call for virtually anything that goes beyond a single ticket on a single train in coach. Connection? Need to call. Sleeper? Need to call. Want to make a change? Need to call. Check something basic on a reservation made by phone? Need to call. I sincerely hope that with the e-ticketing initiative AGR will update their pretty but surprisingly limited website so that it will be useful for booking anything more involved than a short range coach trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a customer service agent, I recommend getting the person's name (in the future) and then asking to speak with their supervisor so you can compliment them. I love getting compliments from customers and appreciate every single one of them, but it can really go a long way if you let our supervisor know. Plus, the supervisors love getting an occasional call that ISN'T an irate customer. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't had that bad of luck getting through to AGR. A couple of months ago when booking a rewards trip, I got right in. And that's been my usual experience. Must be my good looks and great personality. :lol:

I haven't had that bad of luck getting through to AGR. A couple of months ago when booking a rewards trip, I got right in. And that's been my usual experience. Must be my good looks and great personality. :lol:
Definately your good looks, just don't know about the personality!!

I love it when I ask a CSR for their name, and who their direct supervisor is, or where I can send their supervisor an email, usually there is a predictable, "gulp-----pause", with them thinking, "Here's another asshat who's going to rip me a new one for some stupid reason..........."

When I then THANK THEM, and tell them that I want to tell their supervisor how HAPPY and SATISFIED I am, you can almost hear them smile thru the phone. Same goes for when you actually get the supervisor on the phone, they are thinking, "Oh no, not another irate caller........" Then they too usually break out in a smile. (or so I perceive)

It's great to make somebody's day, even in a little way, that don't cost nuttin', and goes a long way. I have a friend who used to be a CSR for Sprint, and they said whenever (apparently it was rare.
wacko.gif
) he got a "complimentary call or email", he'd virtually talk about it all day, carried all the way home to dinner with his family.,.

We all know that "bad news" or complaints travel faster and more frequently than do compliments or "good news". Wish it were the other way around........

Definately your good looks, just don't know about the personality!!
It's the humility.
Thank you one, thank you all!!! :lol:

And you're absolutely right, me little me, it's the humility!!!! I was just too humble to mention it!!! :p

The one unpleasant incident I had with AGR came when I was new to AGR and asked the CSR what he considered a stupid question. He bit my head off, and I had to bite my tongue (so hard there may be tooth marks in it yet) and thanked him for his time anyway, all the while wanting to suggest to him that he needed to find a job he liked, as he wasn't good at customer service. :rolleyes:

When I then THANK THEM, and tell them that I want to tell their supervisor how HAPPY and SATISFIED I am, you can almost hear them smile thru the phone. Same goes for when you actually get the supervisor on the phone, they are thinking, "Oh no, not another irate caller........" Then they too usually break out in a smile. (or so I perceive)

It's great to make somebody's day, even in a little way, that don't cost nuttin', and goes a long way. I have a friend who used to be a CSR for Sprint, and they said whenever (apparently it was rare.
wacko.gif
) he got a "complimentary call or email", he'd virtually talk about it all day, carried all the way home to dinner with his family.,.
That's all true. Just hearing a simple, "Thank you. You've been very helpful," from a customer can turn a crappy day into a good day. It's nice to feel appreciated, and it's so rare, that yes... I do talk about it for the rest of the day and gush about it when I get home. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back