Amtrak "Special" with Steam!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TVRM610

Conductor
So I just bought my ticket for the Grand Canyon Limited today. Was wondering if anyone else is excited about this? Departing May 14 from Los Angeles Union Station, arrives Williams Arizona for a trip on the Grand Canyon Railway to the South Rim, and then returns. This is beyond a rare opportunity.

The train will be led by the 85 year old ATSF #3751, a 4-8-4 steam locomotive. The train will also include 2 Amtrak p-42's, and an amtrak horizon cafe car, plus a whole lot of privately owned heritage cars including 7 dome cars. Yes I might be foaming a little bit but seriously, this is a pretty remarkable trip.

Lots of information at www.trantrips.biz, and yes this is technically an amtrak train. Anyone else going?

Yes I might be foaming a little bit but seriously, this is a pretty remarkable trip.

...and yes this is technically an amtrak train. Anyone else going?
They call it an "Amtrak special train." So foamers now ride the 'special' train? :giggle: Wish I could ride it. :angry:

The trip has an interesting, convoluted background. It took a while for all parties to sign off on it, and it is still not 'officially' happening, but that seems to be just a technicality at this point. The original trip included operations in and out of Phoenix, but due to a lack of suitable infrastructure there, and concerns about operating an 86 year old steam engine on BNSF's transcon, those plans were dropped.

Looks like a great trip! :wub: ENJOY!

Santa Fe 4-8-4 No. 3751, and the excursion train, will be on display for National Train Day L.A. at Union Station on 5-12, two days before departure. Team Whooz expects to have some fun chasing the eastbound run.

ME%25203751%2520SD.jpg

Team Whooz Executive Director WhoozOn1st with Santa Fe No. 3751 at San Diego, 6-1-08.

Back