#41 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,898 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:09 PM

Ive seen a number of engine fires reported with the G4500, due to as railiner stated, faulty electronics. The G models rode rough, and the hard seats didnt help either.

The H3's luggage bays are like houses compared to the X-3's haha. In fact, when I was in Binghamton ready for departure on the X-3, an NY Trailways bus pulled up next to us, and the luggage bays had as much baggage as ours, but more room to store them neatly.

As far as for the J4500's, yeah, I realize that they arent built for line run duty, but Peter Pan uses them for their runs. So they cant be too bad.

Hopefully I will get to ride one of the H3-45's when I move to Syracuse. Ill be going back and forth between there and Binghamton, where my girlfriend picks me up at.

Your best chance of getting an H-3 between Syracuse and Binghamton would be on a thru trip between Toronto and New York that is operated by New York Trailways. They are assigned to the first section most of the time. This would be the 13:25 departure from Binghamton to Syracuse, and the 15:15 departure from Syracuse. You may also get one on the Greyhound 19:45 departure from Syracuse, as that trip is assigned a Trailways pool bus normally.....
There are some other trips that may get one, but a less likely chance. If there are two or more sections on the trip, the thru bus may bypass Binghamton, and anything else, such as a J4500, or an XL-II may operate it...
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#42 Amtrak Cajun

Amtrak Cajun

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:Amtrak, Building Computers, Amtrak, traveling in general, and umm did i mention AMTRAK!!!!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:37 PM

Thanks for the tips on the H3-45 scheduling railiner. Im going to keep that in mind. :) Im going to write those down for future bus schedulings!

Im Anthony.

Allll Aboooarrdd!!!!

#43 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,392 posts
  • Interests:Transportation, politics, history, business, video games, weapons, machinery, and military tactics.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:38 PM

I would love to see Greyhound get the J4500's, those would look awesome in the new paint scheme. Also, Id like to see the Prevost H3-45's like New York Trailways has. I know Im dreaming on the J and H3 models, but oh well.

The D4505's do ride very nicely. I enjoyed my trip back from New Orleans to Lafayette on it. Another thing I noticed between the D4505 and the D4500 is that the newer buses have much better headlights, they are bigger and cast more light. The driver said he prefers the D4505 because they can see farther down the lane than with the smaller square headlights.

Im gonna make you laugh, the driver and I were discussing bus models, and comparisons. He was like, hey, do you work for GLI? I said no, Im just an avid train and bus fan. He says, you should hire on as a dispatcher, you know your models quite well. Haha.

About the J4500, it's apparently designed as a tour bus, not fr line-haul. I also prefer the D4505, I like the more rounded look, especially at the top of the windshield.

Then the H3-45, I've never really liked Prevosts, mainly for the big "glass box" at the front with no bar at the top. Prevost themselves also say the the X3-45 is designed for line-haul, H3-45 is designed for touring.

But anyway, I've really wanted to know why others hate the G4500. Everybody that knows about American buses seems to hate the G4500. I don't like it for the faulty mechanisms and poor ride quality. What about you guys?

The 'G' models were not designed in house by MCI, but were a derivative of Mexican builder Dina's Viaggio bus, from that era when Dina briefly owned MCI...
Most of us think they are junk.... a low cost attempt to offer a 'Euro-style' coach.
As for H-3 versus X-3 Prevost's....try to stuff the baggage and 'kitchen sinks', that college students bring with them when starting the new school year in an X-3's two shallow bays....it is mission, impossible. Often have to depart with empty seats, as there is simply no more room for baggage below. From a driver's standpoint, I will say that the lower X-3 handles somewhat better. And regarding the J4500's....again from a driver's standpoint, never felt 'at home' behind the wheel in those, and the ones my company purchased have never been popular with the driver's....we even prefer the much older 102D's over them,
As for seating comfort....the newest seats are designed for crash 'containment', with or without seatbelt use, derived from those used in school buses. And the seat power outlets when located at the bottom preclude you from sliding your legs very much forward, (you hit your shins). So all in all less comfortable than the older model seats.

Oh, so that's how the G4500 came to be. I saw a Nor Cal Bus Fans newsletter saying it was actually a D-series with the look of a Renaissance. It lloks like most MCI buses have big luggage bays, though, at least in my expierience.

Ive seen a number of engine fires reported with the G4500, due to as railiner stated, faulty electronics. The G models rode rough, and the hard seats didnt help either.

The H3's luggage bays are like houses compared to the X-3's haha. In fact, when I was in Binghamton ready for departure on the X-3, an NY Trailways bus pulled up next to us, and the luggage bays had as much baggage as ours, but more room to store them neatly.

As far as for the J4500's, yeah, I realize that they arent built for line run duty, but Peter Pan uses them for their runs. So they cant be too bad.

Hopefully I will get to ride one of the H3-45's when I move to Syracuse. Ill be going back and forth between there and Binghamton, where my girlfriend picks me up at.

I do like the H3-40s better than the other foreign buses. It's my favourite foreign bus, beating the X3-45, C2045, TD925, Viaggio, or whatever. Though I still don't like the "glass box."

What would you say is a driver's favourite bus?

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
DEPLORABLE BIGOT
PROUD HATER OF THE D4505, TD925, AND T2145
MCI 102DL3WC INTERCITY MOTORCOACH SUPREMACY Professional Drivers Commited to Safety 1-800-SAFE-BUS SEATING CAPACITY: 50 PASSENGERS PT70414
TAKE IT EASY  TAKE THE GREYHOUND
OPERATOR: GREYHOUND CANADA TRANSPORTATION CORP. CAGARY, AB NSC-000026177, FHA-MC-304126 TARE 15,000 KGS GVW 20,140 KGS
YOU'RE THE ONE WHO'S INTOLERANT, MR. SUB-STANDARD!

#44 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,898 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:45 AM

I would love to see Greyhound get the J4500's, those would look awesome in the new paint scheme. Also, Id like to see the Prevost H3-45's like New York Trailways has. I know Im dreaming on the J and H3 models, but oh well.

The D4505's do ride very nicely. I enjoyed my trip back from New Orleans to Lafayette on it. Another thing I noticed between the D4505 and the D4500 is that the newer buses have much better headlights, they are bigger and cast more light. The driver said he prefers the D4505 because they can see farther down the lane than with the smaller square headlights.

Im gonna make you laugh, the driver and I were discussing bus models, and comparisons. He was like, hey, do you work for GLI? I said no, Im just an avid train and bus fan. He says, you should hire on as a dispatcher, you know your models quite well. Haha.

About the J4500, it's apparently designed as a tour bus, not fr line-haul. I also prefer the D4505, I like the more rounded look, especially at the top of the windshield.

Then the H3-45, I've never really liked Prevosts, mainly for the big "glass box" at the front with no bar at the top. Prevost themselves also say the the X3-45 is designed for line-haul, H3-45 is designed for touring.

But anyway, I've really wanted to know why others hate the G4500. Everybody that knows about American buses seems to hate the G4500. I don't like it for the faulty mechanisms and poor ride quality. What about you guys?

The 'G' models were not designed in house by MCI, but were a derivative of Mexican builder Dina's Viaggio bus, from that era when Dina briefly owned MCI...
Most of us think they are junk.... a low cost attempt to offer a 'Euro-style' coach.
As for H-3 versus X-3 Prevost's....try to stuff the baggage and 'kitchen sinks', that college students bring with them when starting the new school year in an X-3's two shallow bays....it is mission, impossible. Often have to depart with empty seats, as there is simply no more room for baggage below. From a driver's standpoint, I will say that the lower X-3 handles somewhat better. And regarding the J4500's....again from a driver's standpoint, never felt 'at home' behind the wheel in those, and the ones my company purchased have never been popular with the driver's....we even prefer the much older 102D's over them,
As for seating comfort....the newest seats are designed for crash 'containment', with or without seatbelt use, derived from those used in school buses. And the seat power outlets when located at the bottom preclude you from sliding your legs very much forward, (you hit your shins). So all in all less comfortable than the older model seats.

Oh, so that's how the G4500 came to be. I saw a Nor Cal Bus Fans newsletter saying it was actually a D-series with the look of a Renaissance. It lloks like most MCI buses have big luggage bays, though, at least in my expierience.

I do like the H3-40s better than the other foreign buses. It's my favourite foreign bus, beating the X3-45, C2045, TD925, Viaggio, or whatever. Though I still don't like the "glass box."

If you mean currently, I think the X-3's or its predecessor, the XL-II. If you mean of all time, then it would easily be a GMC PD 4106. At least IMHO..... ;)
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#45 Amtrak Cajun

Amtrak Cajun

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:Amtrak, Building Computers, Amtrak, traveling in general, and umm did i mention AMTRAK!!!!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

You know, I tend to like Prevost buses over MCI *except for the New D4505*.

The first time I ever rode a Prevost bus was when I was going to see my girlfriend in Pennsylvania back in 2007. I took Greyhound the whole way up to Pennsylvania. Well, when we hit Williamsport, I ended up riding on a Susquehanna Trailways Prevost Le Mirage XL, one of the older ones. That thing rode like butter compared to the MCI D and G models I had up until that point, I got to ride the same bus to Harrisburg, switching back over to GLI equipment there.

Thats where my love for Prevost started. The new X3-45 pretty much gave me the same ride experience. I hope Greyhound buys more of the X3's, they are quite nice.

Im Anthony.

Allll Aboooarrdd!!!!

#46 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,392 posts
  • Interests:Transportation, politics, history, business, video games, weapons, machinery, and military tactics.

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:11 PM

If you mean currently, I think the X-3's or its predecessor, the XL-II. If you mean of all time, then it would easily be a GMC PD 4106. At least IMHO..... ;)

That makes me remember, what's the difference between a PD-4104 and a PD-4106?

Personally, I've never been a career bus driver, but as a passenger, I can comfortably say that my top ten favourites are all MCI, Eagle, or GM models. :) On MCI buses I really like the bar at the top of the windshield, I don't like light shining directly from the front. Really useful on the long runs I'm accustomed to where trains don't operate.

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
DEPLORABLE BIGOT
MCI 102DL3WC INTERCITY MOTORCOACH SUPREMACY Professional Drivers Commited to Safety 1-800-SAFE-BUS SEATING CAPACITY: 50 PASSENGERS PT70414
OPERATOR: GREYHOUND CANADA TRANSPORTATION CORP. CAGARY, AB NSC-000026177, FHA-MC-304126 TARE 15,000 KGS GVW 20,140 KGS

#47 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,392 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:12 PM

OK, well, does anybody know where the G4500s and D4505s are? I can't access their dispatch computers but at least I can get some spotter reports. I usually see 102DL3s all the time, not much else.

Thanks!

I don't know where "Praven" is located, but here in The City, we see equally DL3's, and X-3's, and occasionly MC-12's, G4500's, D4505's, or 102D's, although the latter mentioned are seen less and less. I have heard the G's are mostly 'out west' (thank goodness)....

Thanks for trying to help. Unfortunately I still need to know about other areas, since I mainly ride buses where trains are too expensive or poorly timed, but anyway, I've also wondered if Greyhound has a Northern Division. Apparently they don't. If so, why not?

Not sure just what you mean by 'Northern Division'....
Greyhound Lines, Inc., has been a single 'division', since the last consolidation of Greyhound Lines East, and Greyhound Lines West, in the mid 1970's. Prior to that were four...Eastern, Southern, Central, and Western, and prior to that many more.....
I suppose you could consider Greyhound Lines of Canada its 'northern division', but in reality, a separate company with a common owner (FirstGroup).

Argh, I totally did not see this! I meant the 1960 divisions. Sorry about that.

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
DEPLORABLE BIGOT

#48 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,898 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:28 AM

That makes me remember, what's the difference between a PD-4104 and a PD-4106?

Personally, I've never been a career bus driver, but as a passenger, I can comfortably say that my top ten favourites are all MCI, Eagle, or GM models. :) On MCI buses I really like the bar at the top of the windshield, I don't like light shining directly from the front. Really useful on the long runs I'm accustomed to where trains don't operate.

The PD-4104 was built from 1953 to 1960. The 4106 replaced it in 1961, and was built through 1965. Main difference appearance-wise, was the '06 was more angular, less curved. Big mechanical difference was the replacement of the Detroit Diesel straight 6-71 engine with the new 8v-71. The new engine was much more powerful, eliminating the need to have a separate auxiliary gas engine to drive air conditioner, and freeing up more underfloor baggage space. Other than that, they were pretty similar, just minor differences...side windows a bit taller on the newer coach, elimination of emergency door except where mandated by local law (N.J.), new dashboard, seats, other minor differences. You can find photo's online....

I would have to agree on windshields. I feel a lot more comfortable with a smaller windshield, too. Not only for less bother from light, but also less chance of a large bird or a rock breaking it. Love the small windshields on MC-5's and MC-7's.
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#49 Amtrak Cajun

Amtrak Cajun

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:23 PM

I have a funny story about an MC-12.

I was coming home from California in 2003, and in Houston, they had an MC-12 on the run from Houston to Mobile *as per the destination sign on the bus*. We load up, and we go to hit the onramp to I-10 Eastbound, this poor MC-12, the driver had it floored!! The engine was literally racing to try and get us up the onramp. Im glad they took them out of service. That kinda scared me a bit, although it was funny afterwards.
Im Anthony.

Allll Aboooarrdd!!!!

#50 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,392 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:11 PM

I have a funny story about an MC-12.

I was coming home from California in 2003, and in Houston, they had an MC-12 on the run from Houston to Mobile *as per the destination sign on the bus*. We load up, and we go to hit the onramp to I-10 Eastbound, this poor MC-12, the driver had it floored!! The engine was literally racing to try and get us up the onramp. Im glad they took them out of service. That kinda scared me a bit, although it was funny afterwards.

Well, it was an improved MC-9 designed when Greyhound had financial trouble.

OK, it seems that the G4500s are running on 509 and 502.

Edited by Swadian Hardcore, 13 October 2012 - 02:13 PM.

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
DEPLORABLE BIGOT

#51 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,898 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:18 PM

Are you refering to the Timetable numbers? 502=Spokane-Portland, 509=Seattle-Stanfield/Missoula........?
I think they should run 'em on their Tex-Mex services.....from where they originated. ;)

Edited by railiner, 14 October 2012 - 01:18 PM.

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#52 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,392 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

Are you refering to the Timetable numbers? 502=Spokane-Portland, 509=Seattle-Stanfield/Missoula........?
I think they should run 'em on their Tex-Mex services.....from where they originated. ;)

Yup, timetable numbers. I don't think all the G4500s are here, though. I just have many, many pieces of evidence that they are around here, like:

1. Google Street View with G4500 arrving in Seattle.

2. YouTube videos showing buses in Moses Lake and in Montana, so that must be on the 509.

3. Flickr picture of G4500 in The Dalles, I think. Roll sign says Spokane so must be 502.

4. Got some other pictures, too, just can't remember.

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
DEPLORABLE BIGOT

#53 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,898 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:28 PM

Interesting....I had heard they were pretty much 'out West', your info, if the views are recent, confirms that.
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#54 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,392 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:49 PM

Interesting....I had heard they were pretty much 'out West', your info, if the views are recent, confirms that.

It would be really nice to know where the other G4500s are. There can only be a few on the 502/509, as those routes don't need many buses. Maybe 601?

Anybody that knows please respond, if you don't know it's OK.

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
DEPLORABLE BIGOT

#55 Amtrak Cajun

Amtrak Cajun

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:33 PM

I hear that they tend to run G4500's between Seattle and Vancouver BC.
Im Anthony.

Allll Aboooarrdd!!!!

#56 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,392 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:41 PM

I hear that they tend to run G4500's between Seattle and Vancouver BC.

OK, so it looks like G4500s are based in sEattle. I would assume they run to Portland too becuase they were spotted on 502 Portland-Spokane.

Greyhound isn't upgrading the G4500s, are they? There's a picture of one in the new livery on Greyhound's site, but nothing elsewhere. I haven't spotted one in Neoclassical Blue either.

Maybe the one Greyhound repainted for the pictures got burned already. :o That's considering how many G4500s have already burned.

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
DEPLORABLE BIGOT

#57 lthanlon

lthanlon

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

I'm enjoying this thread about Greyhound -- and especially the LD routes. Sometime soon, I'm hoping to ride Greyhound across most of the Trans-Canada Highway. I do recall reading recently that there's a move afoot to cut back on some bus service in our neighbor to north. Any word on whether LD routes might be affected?

Much of my interest in such a trip is fueled by YouTube videos of such a journey.
L.T. Hanlon | Chicago, USA
http://chicagoscope.com
Trains traveled: California Zephyr, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle

#58 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,595 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

I'm enjoying this thread about Greyhound -- and especially the LD routes. Sometime soon, I'm hoping to ride Greyhound across most of the Trans-Canada Highway. I do recall reading recently that there's a move afoot to cut back on some bus service in our neighbor to north. Any word on whether LD routes might be affected?

Much of my interest in such a trip is fueled by YouTube videos of such a journey.

As someone who has ridden a Canadian Greyhound from Vancouver to Winnipeg, let me urge you to limit your Bus trip to the Vancouver to Calgary or Vancouver to Edmonton part of the Trans Can! It's a Loooooooooooooong way across the Praries in Canada, Nebraska X 4 would be a good Comparison and if you want to experience the Great Shiled in Ontario and the Praries ride the Caandian from Toronto to Edmonton, then consider taking the Long Dog to Vancouver! Trust me, youll be glad you did! :excl: :excl: :excl:

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#59 Amtrak Cajun

Amtrak Cajun

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:22 PM

Well, they are refurbing the fleet that they have. I have seen a G-45 in the new livery passing through. It was being used as an extra bus on a run westbound to El Paso *that is a heavily used route here *New Orleans to El Paso*. The body itself was in bad shape, its seen a wreck or two obviously. That poor bus got "dogged". If anyone wants to slap me for that lame pun, I understand completely haha.

The G4500's are no longer produced at all, so once they are either burned up, wrecked, or destroyed from lack of maintenance, then thats it, no more G4500's.

The new D4505's and X-3's are the new replacements. Greyhound stated that they will be replacing the entire fleet eventually. Greyhound also stated that they are starting to build more intermodal terminals so passengers can connect with Amtrak and other train services as well.

Im Anthony.

Allll Aboooarrdd!!!!

#60 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,898 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

Hey....thanks so much for providing that link! I watched a couple, and had to tear myself away, or I would not get anything else done! Will go back and watch some more when I get a chance.
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users