2930 replies to this topic

#2921 mightyjoe1201

mightyjoe1201

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 07:03 PM

I'm some ways I agree with you Swadian. Unfortunately the regulations don't allow for time to get home. You run out of hours dot doesn't care if you are an hour or you are 15 minutes from home. You still have to stop for a break.

As to your question about coaches. If they are carrying people, regardless of any packages or trailers they are still a bus and follow those hos rules.

#2922 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,394 posts
  • Interests:Transportation, politics, history, business, video games, weapons, machinery, and military tactics.

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:21 PM

Then I have to agree that they should let a hour of leeway to get home. ELDs can easily allow that if the regulations did. But, of course, not when carrying passengers and certainly not when fatigued.

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
LINER ANVIL
PROUD HATER OF THE D4505, TD925, AND T2145
MCI 102DL3WC INTERCITY MOTORCOACH SUPREMACY Professional Drivers Commited to Safety 1-800-SAFE-BUS SEATING CAPACITY: 50 PASSENGERS PT70414
TAKE IT EASY  TAKE THE GREYHOUND
OPERATOR: GREYHOUND CANADA TRANSPORTATION CORP. CAGARY, AB NSC-000026177, FHA-MC-304126 TARE 15,000 KGS GVW 20,140 KGS
DETROIT DIESEL SERIES 60

#2923 mightyjoe1201

mightyjoe1201

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:24 PM

Exactly. Tho I don't understand why passenger IE buses are still on the original hos when the stupid special interest groups said they were unsafe and convince the government to change them for us truckers. It should have been for both. Even tho the current hos is more dangerous then the original ones

#2924 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,394 posts
  • Interests:Transportation, politics, history, business, video games, weapons, machinery, and military tactics.

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:28 PM

Then let's just change the truck HOS back to the current passenger HOS.

Are those air pockets in the new seat covers?
https://www.flickr.c...871035/sizes/o/

That's a 102DL3.

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
LINER ANVIL
MCI 102DL3WC INTERCITY MOTORCOACH SUPREMACY Professional Drivers Commited to Safety 1-800-SAFE-BUS SEATING CAPACITY: 50 PASSENGERS PT70414
OPERATOR: GREYHOUND CANADA TRANSPORTATION CORP. CAGARY, AB NSC-000026177, FHA-MC-304126 TARE 15,000 KGS GVW 20,140 KGS
DETROIT DIESEL SERIES 60

#2925 Caesar La Rock

Caesar La Rock

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 01:48 PM

Well Prevost has been awarded a large contract for 360 buses from Greyhound.

http://www.masstrans...yhound-contract

Greyhound Lines Inc. , based in Dallas Texas, has awarded Prevost a contract for up to 360 motorcoaches. The three year deal specifies the delivery of the first 60 coaches in 2017 with the option to purchase the balance over a 3 year period. This is the single largest contract in Prevost history.

“Our team is quite excited to be able to build Greyhound buses again. We greatly value our long standing relationship with GLI and are appreciative that they have chosen Prevost as their brand of choice,” said Francois Tremblay, Prevost vice president/general manager.  “We believe product quality and exceptional service support made all the difference in their decision. ”

“We are pleased to continue our partnership with Prevost over the next few years. The quality of buses they produce will help us to keep setting the highest standard for transporting customers across North America,” said Dave Leach, president & CEO, Greyhound. “Our customers desire to travel in the safest and most comfortable bus available; motorcoaches from Prevost allow us to fulfill that need for them.”

Prevost Vice President, North American Sales, Jack Forbes stated: “It is always a pleasure to work with our long-term partners at Greyhound & First Group.  A true team effort went into the bid process that brought us to securing this contract and our relationship with GLI will continue to be a team effort.  From Sales to Manufacturing to the best Aftermarket Support team in the industry, we are all committed to the success of this partnership.”

#2926 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,901 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:25 PM

That's great news for GLI...I suppose they will all be X3's...

It says that, that is the largest single order in Prevost history....that may be, but I recall when Greyhound Lines would buy that many coaches in just one year.....(sigh)

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#2927 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,901 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:32 PM

In light of that news above, DL-3, and G fans....better ride 'em while you can...the handwriting is on the wall....and I don't think GLI is expanding their fleet, just updating it.....

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#2928 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,394 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:01 PM

Yes, they are all X3-45s. Glad to say I recently got a ride on #6498. ;) Perhaps I'll make some lemonade...

Railiner, want to meet in NYC?

Edited by Swadian Hardcore, 23 June 2017 - 02:56 PM.

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
LINER ANVIL
DETROIT DIESEL SERIES 60

#2929 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,394 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:30 PM

I'd like to understand axle ratios more. With a Series 60/B500, what's the absolute best axle ratio for fuel economy, performance notwithstanding?
MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
LINER ANVIL
DETROIT DIESEL SERIES 60

#2930 ehbowen

ehbowen

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:57 PM

I'd like to understand axle ratios more. With a Series 60/B500, what's the absolute best axle ratio for fuel economy, performance notwithstanding?

If there was a single best answer to that question, bus manufacturers wouldn't have to offer a selection of axle ratios. While I'm no automotive engineer, I would presume that they take the curves of fuel consumption vs. horsepower and match it up with the anticipated normal operating speed (usually 65 mph, but used to be 55 mph, and could possibly increase in the future) and the grades on which the bus is to be driven...it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have great economy on the flat if you serve Colorado and your buses will spend a lot of time lugging their way up mountain grades with fuel economy in the tank (pardon the pun).

Posted Image 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#2931 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,394 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:29 PM

Fair enough. Then, what axle ratio (for Series 60/B500) is the best for MPG on the flat and what is the best for traction in the mountains?

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
LINER ANVIL
DETROIT DIESEL SERIES 60

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users