Movies on the Coast Starlight Pacific Parlour Car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry Kisor

Service Attendant
I understand from older posts on other forums that movies were shown to kiddies at 3 pm and to adults at 8pm in the Pacific Parlour Cars lower-level "theater". Still happening?

Yes, with some technical glitches...they're switching back to DVDs instead of the satellite feed, so once complete, they'll be more reliable (subject to the LSA knowing how to use a DVD player)...actually, they should all be converted back by now...

On my last trip (July) the movies were exclusively for kids and were often out of commission anyway. Not a big surprise since they apparently use the same technology as the completely useless PPC wifi. At least according to the OBS.

When the system works, they still show them. Usually a Disney-type movie during the wine/cheese tasting, and a family-appropriate movie in the evening.

When they do cut back to DVD, they need to stock in some venue appropriate moves such as Union Pacific, Cassandra Crossing, Silver Streak, North by Northwest and Harvey Girls :)

The big crash scene at the end of Silver Streak would be a real hit with the passengers. :)

And then for the second feature, they could show Runaway Train!

The big crash scene at the end of Silver Streak would be a real hit with the passengers. And then for the second feature, they could show Runaway Train!
I love it! Maybe we need a train version of Airplane! with folks watching a series of train crashes before having their very own crash?

When they do cut back to DVD, they need to stock in some venue appropriate moves such as Union Pacific, Cassandra Crossing, Silver Streak, North by Northwest and Harvey Girls :)
What happens in Cassandra Crossing?

The big crash scene at the end of Silver Streak would be a real hit with the passengers. :)

But woudn't that make passegers fell unsafe on the train?

But woudn't that make passegers fell unsafe on the train?
I was being facetious ... hence the smily face. :rolleyes:

But if you don't think that Silver Streak is a very good idea, maybe we could pull that one and replace it with, say, The Great Train Robbery? :)

Or perhaps, Murder on the Orient Express. :)

Or Denzel Washington's Unstoppable. The thought of a runaway freight train charging towards you is super exciting, isn't it? :D

I have also fancied the idea that some airline should be bold enough and add episodes of National Geographic's Air Crash Investigation in the seatback TV entertainment options on long-haul flights
rolleyes.gif

Or Denzel Washington's Unstoppable. The thought of a runaway freight train charging towards you is super exciting, isn't it? I have also fancied the idea that some airline should be bold enough and add episodes of National Geographic's Air Crash Investigation in the seatback TV entertainment options on long-haul flights.
If you're going to have Unstoppable you might as well pair it with Unbreakable. As for the airline entertainment, I don't mind that they don't feature airplane crashes on airplanes. Seems reasonable enough to me. What does annoy me is all the censorship they employ to make every single movie OK for the kids. Well, except for all the horrific violence of course. I can't tell you how many scenes have ceased to make any sense after someone "fixed" what was never broken in the first place just so the airlines wouldn't have to do any explaining. Normally you could just take your own movies, but if you're flying economy chances are your seat wont have a power plug and even those that do will often require a converter of some sort to make use of it. And not every converter will work with every airline. So in general you'll get enough time for one or maybe two movies if they're short, and then you'll be stuck with the kiddie films and butchered mature stuff.

Or Denzel Washington's Unstoppable. The thought of a runaway freight train charging towards you is super exciting, isn't it? :D

I have also fancied the idea that some airline should be bold enough and add episodes of National Geographic's Air Crash Investigation in the seatback TV entertainment options on long-haul flights
rolleyes.gif
Are you kidding? I just heard on the news this morning that people panicked on a plane because they thought the pilot said there was a "bomb onboard". What he said was "mom on board" (He was saying happy birthday to a mom onboard). Even after he clarified what he said, some passengers were still upset.

After the plane landed safely Friday in Long Island, two passengers took the issue to airport security officials, prompting a response from the FAA.
ABC News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back