Pullman Sleeping Car Company

8 replies to this topic

#1 jimhudson

jimhudson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,626 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:06 PM

Interesting Postings on RailForum.com in re the newly Announced Pullman Sleeping Car Company that is being started by a PV Operator called Iowa Pacific out of Chicago! Some Interesting Videos of Famous Old Trains (Broadway Ltd/Super Chief etc.)and Discussion about whether or not this Plan is Feasible! Check it out and also TravelPullman.com for the Videos! Be interesting to see what they will charge for the Overnights on the LSL and the CONO!!!

Edited by jimhudson, 25 February 2012 - 02:11 PM.

"I'd Rather Be On a Train!"  All Aboard!!!

"There's Something About a Train!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

"What a Long,Strange Trip it's Been!"-  "Truckin'"-Grateful Dead

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#2 MrFSS

MrFSS

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,751 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:28 PM

Interesting Postings on RailForum.com in re the newly Announced Pullman Sleeping Car Company that is being started by a PV Operator called Iowa Pacific out of Chicago! Some Interesting Videos of Famous Old Trains (Broadway Ltd/Super Chief etc.)and Discussion about whether or not this Plan is Feasible! Check it out and also TravelPullman.com for the Videos! Be interesting to see what they will charge for the Overnights on the LSL and the CONO!!!

You have a link, Jim?

#3 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,136 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:28 PM

I'm trying to think up what their cost structure is going to look like. Depending on where their fares come in, I could see them acting as a "sixth bucket" on the Lake Shore at peak season...the LSL's sleeper is increasingly locked to the $400 bucket even in the off season (and I'm seeing some trains on the $467 top bucket in May, while the $199 low bucket is all but an academic item at this point).
Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)
Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)
Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#4 johnny.menhennet

johnny.menhennet

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts
  • Interests:taekwondo, geography, current events, speech and debate, TRAINS

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

I know the Boston sleeper is usually less full, but I was able to get the $199 bucket from CHI-BOS 3 months out for my trip in April

Amtrak: Pacific Surfliner (100000000000), Southwest Chief (5), California Zephyr (1), Coast Starlight (6), Capitol Corridor (1), Empire Builder (2), Acela Express (1), LSL (1), NE Regional (2)
Non-Amtrak: NCTD Coaster (at least 20), Metrolink (4), SD Trolley (at least 20), LACMTA Red Line (at least 50), Seattle Streetcar (1), Chicago 'L' (probably 13), NYC Subway (probably 15), WMATA Mass Transit (probably 20), LIRR (1), Las Vegas Monorail (at least 12), MBTA Mass Transit (16), NJ Transit commuter rail (3), I'm sure there are more that I can't think of right now

upcoming Amtrak: Pacific Surfliner (10000000000 more)
upcoming non-Amtrak: Coaster, Red Line/Expo Line in LA, NJ Transit (5-10)

Pretty good for a 16 year old :)

#5 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,136 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:05 AM

I know the Boston sleeper is usually less full, but I was able to get the $199 bucket from CHI-BOS 3 months out for my trip in April

That's more a function of the Boston market's size than anything. New York will pick up most riders between PVD and PHL heading west. They vary, but I think 449 is slightly inclined towards a lower bucket than 49 (at least out of ALB), but it's probably a convoluted toss-up.

The bucket still exists, but it comes up very rarely anymore. Part of this is Amtrak's revenue management strategy, but part is demand.

Looking ahead to June, you've got some trains at low bucket...and some that have already sold out their roomettes.
Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)
Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)
Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#6 jimhudson

jimhudson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,626 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:16 AM

You have a link, Jim?

Tom: There is a Link on the Post dated 2-24-12 by Palmland: Travel Pullman/ it worked for me by Clicking on it, so you might Look @ that? :unsure: Jim

Edited by jimhudson, 26 February 2012 - 12:16 AM.

"I'd Rather Be On a Train!"  All Aboard!!!

"There's Something About a Train!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

"What a Long,Strange Trip it's Been!"-  "Truckin'"-Grateful Dead

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#7 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:47 PM

Interesting. I wonder how and at what cost they acquired the rights to the Pullman Company name? And from who, since the company was long gone.....
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#8 Ispolkom

Ispolkom

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:11 PM

I saw on the Trains magazine Web site that Iowa Pacific has acquired Coffee Creek, the only remaining Sky Top sleeper. I know that it needs an enormous amount of restoration work, but now that would be the way to travel.

#9 johnny.menhennet

johnny.menhennet

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts
  • Interests:taekwondo, geography, current events, speech and debate, TRAINS

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

I saw on the Trains magazine Web site that Iowa Pacific has acquired Coffee Creek, the only remaining Sky Top sleeper. I know that it needs an enormous amount of restoration work, but now that would be the way to travel.

That's fantastic news! Boy do I want a ride in that!

Amtrak: Pacific Surfliner (100000000000), Southwest Chief (5), California Zephyr (1), Coast Starlight (6), Capitol Corridor (1), Empire Builder (2), Acela Express (1), LSL (1), NE Regional (2)
Non-Amtrak: NCTD Coaster (at least 20), Metrolink (4), SD Trolley (at least 20), LACMTA Red Line (at least 50), Seattle Streetcar (1), Chicago 'L' (probably 13), NYC Subway (probably 15), WMATA Mass Transit (probably 20), LIRR (1), Las Vegas Monorail (at least 12), MBTA Mass Transit (16), NJ Transit commuter rail (3), I'm sure there are more that I can't think of right now

upcoming Amtrak: Pacific Surfliner (10000000000 more)
upcoming non-Amtrak: Coaster, Red Line/Expo Line in LA, NJ Transit (5-10)

Pretty good for a 16 year old :)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users