value of points, purchased and with bonus points added

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The title of this post only belabors the obvious but I did a cost comparison and want to share it with everyone.

10,000 AGR points cost $275.00 or .275 per point

add the 30% bonus offer a point is now worth .021 per point

at 50% bonus points a point is now worth .018 per point This represents roughly a 34% savings

So lets assume that the 50% bonus point offer will be repeated this year.

I believe that the maximum point buy is 10,000 per year plus bonus points.

Assuming you could purchase all the points needed for a trip at the best possible offer of 50% .018 per AGR point we do the math and get the following at the new points redemption rate:

For two at the new rates effective 4/1/12

15,000 point trip costs $270.00 1 zone roomette

20,000 point trip costs $360.00 2 zone roomette

25,000 point trip costs $450.00 1 zone bedroom

40,000 point trip costs $720.00 2 zone bedroom or Autotrain

If you look at the above numbers the deals are all over the place. It appears that only the AGR points for a Bedroom have increased. Perhaps the message is that Amtrak wants to save all the bedrooms for cash sale and not for AGR point redemptions.

On some routes, as on the Cardinal where the sleepers tend to be very expensive the AGR bonus points are a good deal. Roomettes in a one zone trip (ex from NYP to MIA) are still a pretty good deal. However, the cost of the trip in a sleeper for a two zone trip is where it can get expensive. WAS to CHI (CL) or NYP to CHI (LSL) or even well along the way at say PGH to CHI in a bedroom now costs $720 in points.

I did not do the math at the 30% bonus point level. In view of the above I have decided to wait for the 4th quarter points offer to see if the 50% bonus offer will be repeated. I am guessing that it will. Going forward I will try to buy points wisely.

Just remember that 2011 was the 1st year (IIRC) that there were 2 "buy points" bonus offers in the same year - let alone 3!
ohmy.gif

It's up to you if you chose to wait, but personally I would not! I much rather get a 30% bonus than a -0-% bonus!

Just remember that 2011 was the 1st year (IIRC) that there were 2 "buy points" bonus offers in the same year - let alone 3!
ohmy.gif

It's up to you if you chose to wait, but personally I would not! I much rather get a 30% bonus than a -0-% bonus!
No, almost every year, if not all years since the introduction of being able to buy points has seen a spring & fall 30% bonus. Last year was the first year to offer 3 bonus buys, as well as a 50% bonus buy.

ohmy.gif

No, almost every year, if not all years since the introduction of being able to buy points has seen a spring & fall 30% bonus. Last year was the first year to offer 3 bonus buys, as well as a 50% bonus buy.
I've only been on the Chase AGR program for about a year and a half but it is my understanding that you are only permitted to purchase 10,000 AGR points in a year having the bonus. Is this true or false? If its false then how many points can you buy?

As for waiting for the 50% bonus offer to happen again. It is common knowledge that Amtrak is cash strapped so my bet is that we will see the 50% bonus again this fall. I'm willing to take the chance that the offer will repeat. IIRC, last year the offer happened in OCT and since it helps Amtrak generate revenue why would they not run it again?

You can only buy 10,000 AGR points in a year - regardless of the bonus offer. If you buy 10,000 with a bonus offer that is great, because you net either 15,000 or 13,000 (or whatever the bonus is). So you would never be able to buy enough points in one year for a two zone bedroom - unless your spouse or friend bought points and then you did the "share" feature to combine your points, which is at a cost of $10 per 1000 pts shared.

Back