Possible AGR credit card fraud

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_traveler

Engineer
This morning, I received an email from Chase about possible fraud on my card. It had a phone number in the email for the "fraud department". Not being sure if this was phishing, I called the customer service number on my card directly. After verifying the denied charge - which I did not make - I was indeed transferred to the fraud department.

They verified all my information and that I did not make the charge (and told me it would not be charged)! They cancelled my card and will issue me a new card and number - and it will be delivered overnight!
smile.gif
I am very impressed with Chase!
excl.gif

BTW: The most recent charges were to amtrak.com, staples.com and officedepot.com!

Just a warning to keep an eye on your statement!
excl.gif

They verified all my information and that I did not make the charge (and told me it would not be charged)! They cancelled my card and will issue me a new card and number - and it will be delivered overnight!
smile.gif
excl.gif
In my experience Chase has a very good fraud handling department and they are also very good a flagging questionable charges. So much so that when I travel abroad I notify them of the dates and locations where I will be at in order to make sure that my legitimate charges are not blocked. They appreciate that.

Last edited by a moderator:
But to clarify this really doesn't have anything to do with Amtrak or the AGR program. Fraud can and does happen on any type of credit card.

Glad they caught it for you....I also had an unauthorized charge and when I called them, they immediately reversed it and sent me a new card....I now check my account on-line even in between statements for activity.....
ph34r.gif

I don't check the website and/or app as much as I possibly should, but I have alerts set to send me text messages for practically everything that Chase thought of, including purchases over a certain (customizable) amount, or purchases made online/by phone/by mail.

smile.gif
excl.gif
In my experience Chase has a very good fraud handling department and they are also very good a flagging questionable charges. So much so that when I travel abroad I notify them of the dates and locations where I will be at in order to make sure that my legitimate charges are not blocked. They appreciate that.
Seconded. I got gotten last fall and was impressed by their response.

I experienced the same thing a couple of years ago. However in the following month, Chase automatically enrolled me in a "fraud protection program" and charged me $7.99. Then I have to call them to quit from that program.

I experienced the same thing a couple of years ago. However in the following month, Chase automatically enrolled me in a "fraud protection program" and charged me $7.99. Then I have to call them to quit from that program.
That sucks! Thanks for the warning though.

This morning, I received an email from Chase about possible fraud on my card. It had a phone number in the email for the "fraud department". Not being sure if this was phishing, I called the customer service number on my card directly. After verifying the denied charge - which I did not make - I was indeed transferred to the fraud department.

smile.gif
excl.gif

BTW: The most recent charges were to amtrak.com, staples.com and officedepot.com!

excl.gif
this happened to a friend of mine. He had just gotten his new AGR card and it had been hacked before he even got it out the envelope. They called and canceled his card and said they will send him a new one. He said this is the new one.

He had just gotten his new AGR card and it had been hacked before he even got it out the envelope. They called and canceled his card and said they will send him a new one.
Looking a this thread I see a lot of posts that seem to be saying Chase did a great job quickly refunding a surprising number of fraudulent charges. That's great and all, but maybe Chase should do a better job of actually preventing fraud before it becomes bad enough to require a new card. Things like pushing for smart cards with security chips inside and actual passwords in your head. Instead we still have the same generic technology that hasn't improved much in the way of enhanced security over the last three decades.

He had just gotten his new AGR card and it had been hacked before he even got it out the envelope. They called and canceled his card and said they will send him a new one.
Looking a this thread I see a lot of posts that seem to be saying Chase did a great job quickly refunding a surprising number of fraudulent charges. That's great and all, but maybe Chase should do a better job of actually preventing fraud before it becomes bad enough to require a new card. Things like pushing for smart cards with security chips inside and actual passwords in your head. Instead we still have the same generic technology that hasn't improved much in the way of enhanced security over the last three decades.
Both Visa and MasterCard are going to Chip and Pin cards by April, 2013.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2399772,00.asp

I just had this happen to me last week. Two charges in New York City - and I'm still very much in the Savannah area. One was a SWIPED transaction made at a restaurant! This shows that someone is hacking into a system and actually creating new cards. Very scary stuff!

This is totally relevant to AGR. If they are hacking computer systems that are holding spaces for groups of credit card information, they could be (unaware, but) targeting AGR Master Cards.

Watch your accounts!

They verified all my information and that I did not make the charge (and told me it would not be charged)!
Traveler, but now you won't get the AGR points that you would have coming for the fraudulent purchase!

Please tell us this crossed your mind... ^_^
It sure crossed MY mind!! :D

But I kept my trap shut.

smile.gif
excl.gif

excl.gif
this happened to a friend of mine. He had just gotten his new AGR card and it had been hacked before he even got it out the envelope. They called and canceled his card and said they will send him a new one. He said this is the new one.
How can someone steal a card that has never been validated? Now you need to call from your home phone, and it checks that number. (in case no one has gotten a new card lately) Asks for the last four digits on the card and your zipcode on the billing address. That's for the person asking why they don't change security. They have.

Funny thing, my last American Express Card has no chip, but the old ones did?

Here's one possible answer for yours and the one time I had a problem.

It's been a few years, but had a card that I never received yet, I got a bill in the mail. (not Chase) Called and they asked if I had been in Texas recently. "Never in my life." :giggle: The usual, gas station, filled a couple of cars, bought some beer and snacks.

So the point of this is, I'd suspect someone from inside the place issuing the cards, is stealing data.

For already active cards, restaurants are a common source, the waiter takes your card, has a scanner in their pocket and zing, you've been copied. According to the statistics, contrary to what seems apparent from rumors and myths, the Internet is safer than a purchases in person. That was a surprise.

I just had this happen to me last week. Two charges in New York City - and I'm still very much in the Savannah area. One was a SWIPED transaction made at a restaurant! This shows that someone is hacking into a system and actually creating new cards. Very scary stuff!
Usually cards are cloned by someone with physical access to your card swiping it and making a clone of it. As PPorro said, restaurants are the typical venue for this, although it's also possible for skimming machines to be placed on things like ATM machines or vending machines that take a credit card (parking garages, movie ticket kiosks, etc, etc).

Usually cards are cloned by someone with physical access to your card swiping it and making a clone of it. As PPorro said, restaurants are the typical venue for this, although it's also possible for skimming machines to be placed on things like ATM machines or vending machines that take a credit card (parking garages, movie ticket kiosks, etc, etc).
Barnes & Nobles recently had some of thier machines "hacked".

smile.gif
excl.gif

excl.gif
How can someone steal a card that has never been validated? Now you need to call from your home phone, and it checks that number. (in case no one has gotten a new card lately) Asks for the last four digits on the card and your zipcode on the billing address. That's for the person asking why they don't change security. They have.

It's been a few years, but had a card that I never received yet, I got a bill in the mail. (not Chase) Called and they asked if I had been in Texas recently. "Never in my life." :giggle: The usual, gas station, filled a couple of cars, bought some beer and snacks.

So the point of this is, I'd suspect someone from inside the place issuing the cards, is stealing data.

For already active cards, restaurants are a common source, the waiter takes your card, has a scanner in their pocket and zing, you've been copied. According to the statistics, contrary to what seems apparent from rumors and myths, the Internet is safer than a purchases in person. That was a surprise.
A local restaurant now uses a portable scanning device they bring to your table and you can complete the transaction without ever letting the card out of your hand. (I imagine these are quite common).

And I suppose an organized effort could hack those machines too, once it's back in the kitchen.

Until higher tech methods are in place (and aren't hackers usually a step or two ahead of companies?) I think the best thing to do is check balances VERY frequently, and hope that your bank has a policy that lets you off the hook for ANY unauthorized charge ... how far back will they go?

A local restaurant now uses a portable scanning device they bring to your table and you can complete the transaction without ever letting the card out of your hand. (I imagine these are quite common).
I spent about a week in Canada last month and every restaurant I visited had the same machine that the server brought to your table. My card never left my hand. I was able to input a tip by percentage or amount. It was a great machine and I hope restaurants here start using them. One of my servers said all restaurants in Canada are required to use that type of machine. I do not know if that is accurate.

smile.gif
excl.gif

excl.gif

And I suppose an organized effort could hack those machines too, once it's back in the kitchen.

Until higher tech methods are in place (and aren't hackers usually a step or two ahead of companies?) I think the best thing to do is check balances VERY frequently, and hope that your bank has a policy that lets you off the hook for ANY unauthorized charge ... how far back will they go?
At the bank I work for you have 60 days from when the statement mailed to dispute any charges.

I spent about a week in Canada last month and every restaurant I visited had the same machine that the server brought to your table. My card never left my hand. I was able to input a tip by percentage or amount. It was a great machine and I hope restaurants here start using them. One of my servers said all restaurants in Canada are required to use that type of machine. I do not know if that is accurate.
They are ubiquitous in Europe because of the "chip and PIN" cards that are extremely common there -- those cards require a PIN be entered, even for a "credit" transaction. (When I was in Ireland with friends earlier this year, we ran into a couple restaurants where our server needed to get help from a manager to swipe an American credit card, without the chip, through the machine.)

My AGR Mastercard has been hacked three times in the last three years. In every case Chase addressed the problem, closed the account and took care of the fraudulent charge promptly. I attribute all of the fraudulent activity on my card to the fact that I regularly purchase goods on-line.

Back