Luggage size question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

debmep

Train Attendant
We purchased 2 new soft sided travel duffle bags from Costco a few weeks ago. They have 2 wheels with a pull handle. The lower 1/2 of the duffle is hard sided but with a zipper on the soft top with side compartments. I just measured the duffle and the hard sided lower frame is 2 inches larger than the Amtrak carry on measurements for length. The height and width fit within the perameters. Am I going to be OK to carry these on to store in the lower bin of the sleeper car? (We have a roomette). Does Amtrak measure carry-ons? Worse case I would need to check them, but I would rather not.

We purchased 2 new soft sided travel duffle bags from Costco a few weeks ago. They have 2 wheels with a pull handle. The lower 1/2 of the duffle is hard sided but with a zipper on the soft top with side compartments. I just measured the duffle and the hard sided lower frame is 2 inches larger than the Amtrak carry on measurements for length. The height and width fit within the perameters. Am I going to be OK to carry these on to store in the lower bin of the sleeper car? (We have a roomette). Does Amtrak measure carry-ons? Worse case I would need to check them, but I would rather not.
No, they don't measure them. Basically, if you can get it on the train yourself, and find a place to put it, you are good to go. The only thing they do do is weigh it if you check it.

No worry! If you can carry/tote it yourself Amtrak is pretty Cool with that! If you do Check Bags they must be under 50 lbs. and sometimes Uncool Agents have been known to Decline "Oversize" Baggage but you should be fine using the Downstairs Rack! ^_^ Have a Nice trip!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank You both so much for the quick reply and the reminder about the weight. We are 30 days from departure. I couldnt wait any longer and this past Sunday we drove to the station (GRR) and printed the tickets. We'll be on the Pere Marquette to Chicago then the Southwest Chief to Albuquerque. 2 nights in ABQ then return trip. We leave

on a Thursday and return the following Monday, if everything goes as scheduled.

The first time I travelled on Amtrak, I did a lot of online research,I looked at the room details in the day and night configuration as provided on Amtrak's website. We chose the roomette, I remember walking in the first time and thinking WOW it's just like they show on the website,,,,,,,,,Only smaller :lol: It didn't take long to figure out we had overpacked :eek:hboy: Lucky we had a downstairs roomette and the luggage rack was in easy reach. I have since learned many packing tips on this site, and bought a smaller suitcase and an small necessity bag for meds and such. Roomettes are great, don't get me wrong. They just get crowded really quick.Have a great trip

OK, I am overplanning right at this moment. Question: Do other people get into their luggage in the racks as needed? I've read about taking a bag or little overnighter into the roomette, but can I also just get into our duffle bag when needed? Example:in the evening getting ready for bed. Can I just go downstairs and pull out my duffle and grab what I need for the night. ( PJ's, change of clothes, shaving kit, etc). Then repeat the process in the AM. I assume that the roomette isnt big enough to change clothes in anyway, especially if the beds are still down, so I'd plan on using one of the restrooms or shower room on the lower level. I am very guilty of over planning & over packing.

I myself leave ALL my bags in the luggage rack (except of course valuables like computers). Then when I go to the rest room or shower, just grab what I need and after I'm done, repack the bag and put it back in the rack. I also carry one duffel bag for clean clothes and another duffel for dirty clothes.

This way, I don't have to lug bags to my room, around the sharp corners on the stairs and then try to find storage space inside the room!
smile.gif

Just my 2¢ worth! (With inflation, it's worth 1.5¢!
laugh.gif
)

Deb, I can picture just where you printed your tickets in GRR. We took the Pere Marquette to CHI too before our big trip, and ran our tickets off the day before. (Had to make sure the weather would cooperate with our travel plans!) Be sure to head straight for the Metropolitan Lounge when you get to CHI. You can store your luggage there and relax in the lounge with a newspaper, TV, and snacks or go out and get lunch in the food court without dragging your luggage with you.

Yes, you can easily access your luggage downstairs. You may need to move someone's luggage out of the way to pull your forward, however. I had a medium size tote bag I kept in the roomette for essential toiletries, pjs, reading material, and snacks, etc--all in their zip lock bags to keep things organized in the small space you have. I left my day-time clothing in my luggage downstairs-- I tend to organize with large zip lock bags--a day's clothing all in one bag, so it was easy to simply pull the zip lock bag out. That way you don't need to rummage around for everything near the luggage rack--it's kind of a tight space there.

We did a trip in a roomette on the Coast Starlight a few weeks ago--so validated how much fun Amtrak train travel is for us! (We also did a two day trip on the CZ in a bedroom and could bring our carryon luggage right into the room--which was nice, but not essential for us.)

I think overplanning seems to be a trend on this site, so welcome home! Luggage on the downstairs rack is easily accessible(to all) so take normal precautions with valubles. I usually do exactly as you mentioned, and leave everything downstairs except for lifethreating things I cannot afford to lose, like my meds or the wifes make up :lol: and I have a smaller bag that fits well in the roomette. The downstairs rack gets crowded at times, and you may have to rearrange to get to your bag but it isn't a problem. I just pack everything near the top/front so I can just unzip, reach, feel and pullout what I need at the time.

Thanks again everyone. River-we are close to downtown, 'burb of Wyoming. Its nice to get everyone's help with this. I'm going to forget about the small carry on & focus on just packing the duffle's. New Mantra- DONT OVERPACK! THe Metropolitan lounge is on the radar along with the French Market for lunch. We need to stop at at Fannie May's for old time sake. I worked at one of the 2 in GRR for years until they closed. Both the candy store and the French Market are within walking distance to Union Station.

We live maybe 15 min from the Amtrak Station...used to love the Fannie May at 28th St. and the Beltline! That candy was the best! When we head to CHI we stop for FM candy as well.

As a caution, I quote two sections from a recent 9 segment trip report. The first involves a trip in a sleeper on the west bound CZ from MTP to DEN; we had 3 62" airline legal suitcases plus 2 smaller bags and a laptop. The second was a coach trip CHI to MTP also on the WB CZ. We had dumped one of the big bags in DEN, so now we only had two.

The SCA took all our luggage in stride even helping with a couple of them. Against all odds, the downstairs luggage rack was almost empty and we had no trouble stowing all our stuff.
On the final coach segment, I discovered that the carry on baggage rule of thumb "If you can schlep it on board without causing a problem, ..." has a caviat.... The conductor at the door stopped directing passengers to help us aboard. My guess is that it was because he knew the luggage rack was already full. Half of it was taken up by 3 large Tupperware tubs full of stuff. He re-alligned some of the smaller bags and found room for one of ours. He went back outside, but not before warning us that the bags were too large and he could have rejected them (and us I presume).
I was about to put the other bag in the large open space in the front of the lower level seating when a coach attendant said I couldn't go in there. She had definitely played hooky the day charm school was in session. I went upstairs leaving it in the aisle; and some time later the same voice came over the intercom saying the green bag had to be moved. Fortunately she went on to bigger and better things because she wasn't there when I got downstairs; so I moved it to the open space I mentioned earlier. I knew I was safe when I saw it covered by a pile of other stuff, including a large table in a box. The whole problem may not have occurred had the conductor stayed outside and not tried to help us. We could have managed. Once again I cursed Amtrak for not having baggage service at Galesburg.

It dawned on me that we should have used the Red Cap like the tupperware owners. Let the Red Caps fight it out. The conductor probably wouldn't hassle the Red Cap..

I later checked the carry on baggage rules; and the max is 28" x 22" x 14 for a total of 64". I also measured the bags in question when I got home. They are 30 x 22 x 10 for a total of 62" . One of the dimensions is 4" shorter; but one 2" too big. So I guess the conductor was right technically.
So while the conductor didn't measure the bags, he had a sharp set of eyeballs.

We are 30 days from departure. I couldnt wait any longer and this past Sunday we drove to the station (GRR) and printed the tickets.
Just remember to treat them as you would cash! Because they might as well be. If you lose them or forget them at home, you will have to buy new tickets at the current price, assuming that there is even room left. So again, guard them carefully!

Update-I called Amtrak this morning and after about 5 minutes on hold, got a great call taker who was pretty funny. I explained that our soft sided brand new luggage was 2 inches taller than the quidelines for carry-on. He started laughing and said "Mam-dont worry about it. No one here at Amtrak owns a yard stick. You will be fine. Enjoy your trip".

Last edited by a moderator:
Update-I called Amtrak this morning and after about 5 minutes on hold, got a great call taker who was pretty funny. I explained that our soft sided brand new luggage was 2 inches taller than the quidelines for carry-on. He started laughing and said "Mam-dont worry about it. No one here at Amtrak owns a yard stick. You will be fine. Enjoy your trip".

I'm glad you posted this. I came on looking to see if anything had changed with carry-on's.

OK, I am overplanning right at this moment. Question: Do other people get into their luggage in the racks as needed? I've read about taking a bag or little overnighter into the roomette, but can I also just get into our duffle bag when needed? Example:in the evening getting ready for bed. Can I just go downstairs and pull out my duffle and grab what I need for the night. ( PJ's, change of clothes, shaving kit, etc). Then repeat the process in the AM. I assume that the roomette isnt big enough to change clothes in anyway, especially if the beds are still down, so I'd plan on using one of the restrooms or shower room on the lower level. I am very guilty of over planning & over packing.
Why not check the large bags, so you don't need to worry about them? Just take a small carry-on into the roomette, with everything you will need. Much easier, IMHO. :hi:

I very rarly check my bags because I do not have access to them during the trip.

I actually managed to run foul of the 50lbs checked rule this Christmas running CHI-SPG (admittedly some of those gifts were pretty heavy). Boarding in Chicago this wasn't a big deal: the agent at the desk sold me a spacious Amtrak Express box for $5 and I was good to go. It's a great box, actually, and I've held on to it. I don't know if they're set up to do the same thing in some of the smaller stations that do checked baggage.

Another oddity and that I encountered once, and didn't account this time. This summer my wife I traveled SEA-CHI on the Builder, final destination KAL. This was in May so the Devils Lake subdivision was open but there were still various delays. The agent in Seattle refused to let us check our bag, because our final destination didn't have checked baggage service. He wouldn't let us check only to Chicago, even though the train changed there. I thought this was odd. This December, the agent in Springfield had no problem with my checking a bag SPG-CHI, so long as understood what I was doing. I don't know if this a vaunted example of Amtrak's inconsistent customer service, or if there was a temporary policy in place with the Builder to ease connection problems.

I actually managed to run foul of the 50lbs checked rule this Christmas running CHI-SPG (admittedly some of those gifts were pretty heavy). Boarding in Chicago this wasn't a big deal: the agent at the desk sold me a spacious Amtrak Express box for $5 and I was good to go. It's a great box, actually, and I've held on to it. I don't know if they're set up to do the same thing in some of the smaller stations that do checked baggage.

Another oddity and that I encountered once, and didn't account this time. This summer my wife I traveled SEA-CHI on the Builder, final destination KAL. This was in May so the Devils Lake subdivision was open but there were still various delays. The agent in Seattle refused to let us check our bag, because our final destination didn't have checked baggage service. He wouldn't let us check only to Chicago, even though the train changed there. I thought this was odd. This December, the agent in Springfield had no problem with my checking a bag SPG-CHI, so long as understood what I was doing. I don't know if this a vaunted example of Amtrak's inconsistent customer service, or if there was a temporary policy in place with the Builder to ease connection problems.

Amtrak's thought maybe if you are running late into Chicago, you may have to go right onto your connection. If things are running late maybe there won't be time to pick up your luggage.

Out of curiosity I reviewed the Amtrak dimensions for carry-on, 28 inches length. Your two bags are 30 inches each? Those are extremely large bags, suitable for a months-long trip. Your trip is 4 nights long, per your above post. IMO you should take carry-on-size luggage, even one 25-inch suitcase for both of you would be more than adequate.

Sometimes the lower luggage racks get very full and it may be difficult to fit your two giant duffels there. Here's what I do when traveling in a roomette. I pack each day's clothing (everything including socks) in separate two-gallon ziplock bags. I pack items for nighttime in another ziplock. I can then open the suitcase just a little and pull out each ziplock in the order I need. I pack all toiletries, flashlight, etc. in a small tote which I keep in the roomette. When I go to the shower I put the change of clothing and the toiletries in the tote, it's very easy to keep everything handy using this method.

This kind of organization is even more necessary when 2 are traveling in a roomette. If you have a carry-on-sized bag, you can JUST fit it inside the roomette with the curtain or door closed. You can place it on a seat (or the bed if it's made up) and organize/sort your items. Please believe me, you cannot do this with the type of duffels you describe.

My sincere advice to you would be return the giant bags and find something smaller. If you check the ebags.com website, you can look at their own "TLS" luggage line. I have the Motherlode Weekender Convertible, Motherlode Mini 21-inch carry-on (my usual Amtrak bag and perfect for a 4-day trip), Motherlode Junior 25-inch carry-on (I always check this one and only take it when the trip is more than one week), and the Crew Cooler II (for snacks and Dr. Peppers). Just to be clear, I have no business affiliation whatsoever with ebags, I just shop there a lot and their products are great. I have about 5 different sets of luggage (my husband complains about this all the time -but I'm a bags freak), and the TLS are my most-often-used for the past several years.

Good luck with your trip and enjoy the trains.

FunNut-Respectfully I must ask "why do you feel the need to pass judgement on our situation"? Everyone is different and what suitcases we choose to purchase & use is our business. You have no idea about what we need to pack or bring along with us. I do appreciatet your advice about packing but not your judgement on our luggage size & your recommendation about what we should purchase on line.

I don't know of any of the crews in GRR that checks the size of the bags, but they do tend to enforce the 2 bag per person (excluding normal other bags listed in the policy) rule. You will be riding on Superliner equipment, so the luggage racks have to serve all 72 passengers! There isn't any checked baggage on the Pere Marquette, so long as you can load your bags by yourself, you should be OK.

You should arrive at least 30 minutes early, as the parking lot tends fill up and the train arrives arround 7:20 and normally blocks Market Street. If the lot does fill up, DO NOT park right across the street; that is MichCon and they will tow your car :angry: ! Additional Amtrak parking is on the opposite corner of Wealthy and Market.

I'm usually at the station helping to load on Tuesday, Thursday, & Saturday, so I hope to see then.

28" (officially) or 30 " for a carry-on bag?
huh.gif
They won't care!
rolleyes.gif
Nobody stands by the car's door with a measuring tape for carry-on bags! Now if it is checked, or if it 6' long, they may question it, but for 2", I or they probably would not even notice.

So please FunNut, give debmep a little slack!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back